PDA

View Full Version : General 250 table saw

Dick Brown
05-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Hi,
I have a general 250 table saw that is missing the lock knobs for the hand wheels. The feeling among folks that I have discussed this with is it would be doubtful that I will ever find any. One fellow on the Canadian Woodworker forum posted pictures of his but they appeared to be different than what my saw needs. From what I can tell, mine needs a 5/16" partially threaded rod with the end turned or ground down till the end is smaller than the threaded part and pointed to force the locking "lug" out and lock the shaft. Other end of the rod has the knob. If there is anyone out there with a General 250 with the pointed end on the lock knobs, I would sure appreciate a picture and a few measurements so I could make some for mine.
Thanks in advance,
Dick

Curt Harms
05-15-2015, 7:54 AM
Have you tried contacting anyone at General? I know they ceased Canadian made machines but I wonder if someone could find a drawing or something.

jack forsberg
05-15-2015, 3:03 PM
Hi,
I have a general 250 table saw that is missing the lock knobs for the hand wheels. The feeling among folks that I have discussed this with is it would be doubtful that I will ever find any. One fellow on the Canadian Woodworker forum posted pictures of his but they appeared to be different than what my saw needs. From what I can tell, mine needs a 5/16" partially threaded rod with the end turned or ground down till the end is smaller than the threaded part and pointed to force the locking "lug" out and lock the shaft. Other end of the rod has the knob. If there is anyone out there with a General 250 with the pointed end on the lock knobs, I would sure appreciate a picture and a few measurements so I could make some for mine.
Thanks in advance,
Dick

99% sure the 350 part with fit your 250 tables saw. this not a solution to lock the handle on saws by General and so the delta uni saw part may work too. Its a common solution across many makers.

Dick Brown
05-17-2015, 6:05 PM
WOW! Now I am more confused than ever about my General 250? table saw. Looked at the manual that I printed out and suddenly realized that the arbor housing and motor mount hang near the rear of the "Chute Assembly" with a long shaft for blade height adjustment Then looked as best I could at the photos on OWWM site for the 250 and it appears they are that way also. Looked at the parts breakdown for the 350 and motor mount and arbor assembly hang near the front of the unit. My what I assumed was a 250 has the 350 type motor and arbor mounts near the front of the saw but has the 250 style cabinet and table mounted trunnions whereas the 350 has cabinet mounted ones. Also the blade guard/splitter that I got with this saw look very similar to the 350 one. Anyone know what the deal is?? Maybe a change sometime in the 250 production or is there a model similar to the 250 but with 350 guts other than the trunnions??
This saw is heavy and appears to be very well made. Tried to email General but it wouldn't go. Micpie from Canadian Woodworker forum sent me a new email address for General so will try that tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any info you can supply. By the way, my saw's serial # is 35-1040 I have tried to post pictures but just get a failed message each time.
Dick