PDA

View Full Version : So you think you can ride a bicycle?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Those of us who become deaf and then are implanted with a cochlear implant (CI) learn to hear with it at different paces. Why? Neuroplasticity, IMO.

There are two big emotional arguments within the deaf community. Should someone receive a CI? Should and when should child be implanted with a CI?

This link, though not related to hearing with a cochlear implant, demonstrates that we all learn different things at different rates due to differences within our brains. It's called neuroplasticity, part of what makes us individuals!

Check it out: http://videos.komando.com/watch/7847/kims-picks-you-think-you-can-ride-this-bike-but-you-really-cant?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=tvkim&utm_content=2015-04-30-article-screen-shot-f
(http://videos.komando.com/watch/7847/kims-picks-you-think-you-can-ride-this-bike-but-you-really-cant?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=tvkim&utm_content=2015-04-30-article-screen-shot-f)

John McClanahan
05-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Very interesting! I remember as a kid, when I learned to ride a bike, it "clicked". I went from being unable to keep my balance to riding without wobbling in just a few minutes.

John

Kent A Bathurst
05-14-2015, 11:29 PM
That is excellent, Ken. I can see the link to the CI issues you have dealt with.

Very thought-provoking video. Thanks for posting.

John Coloccia
05-14-2015, 11:48 PM
Very interesting! I remember as a kid, when I learned to ride a bike, it "clicked". I went from being unable to keep my balance to riding without wobbling in just a few minutes.

John

Sorta' like that year I did some snowboarding. One minute, I could only stay up for a few seconds and fall on my butt. And then all of a sudden, something clicked and I was able to stay up for a few seconds and fall flat on my face, putting me a full six feet closer to the mulled red wine at the bottom of the stupid hill.

Matt Mattingley
05-15-2015, 12:26 AM
Love the video. Challenges of relearning an old concept. I would just love to try the bike.

Kent A Bathurst
05-15-2015, 12:51 AM
Love the video. Challenges of relearning an old concept. I would just love to try the bike.

Matt - we would all just love to see the video. :p

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2015, 1:53 AM
Matt - we would all just love to see the video. :p

I'd supply the popcorn and the beer!:D

Scott Shepherd
05-15-2015, 8:22 AM
I've been watching that guy for years. He has a youtube channel called "Smarter every day" and it does incredible experiments with super high speed cameras. It's been great to see him grow over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/user/destinws2

Phil Thien
05-15-2015, 9:24 AM
You can simulate this yourself (be extremely careful) by crossing your arms on a non-modified bicycle. WARNING: You will fall and possibly injure yourself.

Having someone hold you up on the bike can be helpful if you really want to try this.

Never tell someone to try crossing arms to see if they can do it. They can't. I've witnessed people trying to play this practical joke on others, but it can honestly result in serious injury, so I always become the party pooper.

Terrific video, BTW, thanks for sharing that, Ken.

Grant Wilkinson
05-15-2015, 9:43 AM
Fascinating stuff.

roger wiegand
05-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Hmmm-- reminds me of learning to back up my trailer.

It would be interesting to see if there is a subset of alternately wired people who can do it. I have severe right/left dyslexia (for want of a better term), which drives my navigator insane when we're driving (or canoeing). On the up side when I go to England I just hop into the other side of the car and drive on the other side of the road, without a second thought, while my right/left enabled navigator has to keep her eyes closed the whole time and is paralyzed in confusion if asked to drive.

Chris Padilla
05-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty sure I could ride that bike!!! LOL! :D

Kent A Bathurst
05-15-2015, 11:54 AM
I would just love to try the bike.

I'm pretty sure I could ride that bike!!! LOL! :D

I'd supply the popcorn and the beer!:D

Ken - now we got us a two-horse race in the works!!

You handle the popcorn and beer, I'll handle the tote board - we just need someone to sell the tickets and we are good to go!!!

Belinda Barfield
05-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Amazing! Thanks for sharing this, Ken. I've been reading about neural plasticity recently, so for me this is very well timed. I am red/green color deficient. There are glasses available to help with this. The excerpt below is part of the instructions for use. Hopefully I have an appropriately plastic brain! :D
"To ensure optimal effectiveness, wear the lens for at least 10 hours in a variety of situations over the course of 1-2 weeks. Depending on the rate of neural plasticity in the user, a significant amount of time may be required for the visual cortex to respond to the new information. Best results are obtained in strong daylight and in colorful settings, such as a botanical garden or an outdoor event."

Justin Ludwig
05-15-2015, 7:25 PM
Hmmm-- reminds me of learning to back up my trailer.

My Dad forced me as a kid to learn to back up a trailer with mirrors only. I really got to show off that skill when I joined the Navy and had to push planes into parking spots that had a double swivel tow bar.

Excellent video, Ken. Thanks! I'm gonna have to subscribe to that guy's channel.

Jim Koepke
05-22-2015, 3:38 PM
Amazing how our mind can keep us from doing something!

jtk