PDA

View Full Version : Planer

Len Coleman
05-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Hi all, long time lurker... Some background, basically a DIYer for projects around the house. I just finished a bunch of remodeling for a second house we have and did all the cabinets, kitchen island with maple top etc. and figured that was probably the last big thing I was going to do. I am headed for retirement in about two years and want to hone my skills and just do smaller stuff to stay busy. So I started delving into better hand tools, just finished a joinery bench I have in my office with a moxon vice. So a have a couple of middling saws, a small hodgepodge of chisels to see which I prefer and I got a couple of Miller falls planes off ebay and rehabbed them.

The other day my dewalt dw735 went into death throws and from the sound of it, well not good. I am guessing repair will be expensive or simply not worth it and maybe I would be better off with a number 7 of some type. ( I am not tied to any brand as of right now).

I plan to stay as a hybrid worker as I like my TS for a number of task. So I guess my question is will I miss a powered planer?

thanks
Len

Phil Mueller
05-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Hi Len,
Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself. I'm just a hobbyist as well, and enjoy hand tools, but also appreciate the power tools. I guess it depends on how much you enjoy hand planing. I do, but am new to it, and it can become frustrating at times. At this stage, I will typically hand plane one side nice and flat and use the power planer to true up the opposite side.
It lets me use rough lumber (although I have found even four sided finished lumber to need some attention), get some enjoyment out of hand planing, and them true everything up with a power tool. It also helps me ensure that I can get several boards to the exact same thickness, which I'm not skilled or patient enough to do with a hand plane alone.
I would miss the power planer and would replace it if it died.
I'm sure you'll get more opinions from more experienced folks...
Phil

Shawn Pixley
05-15-2015, 12:05 AM
I am a hybrid woodworker as well. I have a planer but haven't used it in years now. I resaw to thin board and flatten everything with hand planes. So, from my point of view, i wouldn't replace it.

Jim Koepke
05-15-2015, 1:31 AM
Howdy Len,

Welcome to the Creek even though you have been around awhile

I plan to stay as a hybrid worker as I like my TS for a number of task. So I guess my question is will I miss a powered planer?

My power saw is a band saw. It likely leaves a rougher surface than a table saw. My rip cuts whether by hand or table saw are all cleaned up with a long plane, like a #7 (size).

Unless you prefer a lighter plane, don't pass up a #8 (size) if it comes along. They aren't for everyone, but pushing one of them around helps keep the upper body in good shape.

If you are doing smaller work, a #6 sized plane may also be all that is needed for your projects.

My projects are all over the place from using full length 8' boards to make shelves or cabinets to small boxes or drawers. It helps to have at least one of each. At least that is what my wife hears.

You should be able to get by fine without a power jointer. You may want to consider a lathe. There are a lot of inexpensive good chisels available that only need a new handle.

jtk