PDA

View Full Version : Tube replacement on Trotec Speedy 300

Bob Hoff
05-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. This is a great resource for sitting back and learning from so many people who have a wealth of knowledge they willingly share. Now, unfortunately I need a little help myself.

I have a 5 year old, low hour, 45 watt, speedy 300. I have been having to reduce my speeds and increase power to do the same jobs I have always done. Looks like a new tube is in my not so distant future. I called Trotec and asked about the cost of a new tube. When I purchased the machine I asked how much a new tube was so I could budget for it and was quoted around $2400. I know prices have risen in the last 5 years, but today I was quoted $4700. Seems like more than just simple inflation to me.

My need is to either verify this is correct or find another source that will have an acceptable replacement. All help and advice is appreciated.

Mike Null
05-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Bob

I was given the same info. Trotec no longer uses Coherent and apparently they are paying a premium now. Anyway I chose to use Photovac in Grove City, Ohio. I paid $2800 to have the tube re-manufactured and I am very pleased with the result. It's also easy to remove and replace. http://photovaclaser.com

It took almost a week and that plus one other day is the only down time I've had in almost 9 years.

Bill George
05-15-2015, 7:46 AM
I'm glad ULS has a fixed price to refurb their tubes, usually $1200 plus shipping for a 50 watt. That was the price I got 3 months ago anyway.

Bob Hoff
05-15-2015, 8:16 AM
The $4700 is for a refurb tube from Trotec. I would have expected it to be cheaper since it was a refurb. They said a new tube would be double that.

Mike Null
05-15-2015, 11:00 AM
My understanding was that is was a new tube but even so I wasn't going to pay that much. The Photovac price is for re-manufacturing not just re-gassing.

Bill, my ULS tube went out in the 36th month; thankfully they had 3 year warranties at that time and replaced it free. That was way back in the last century and I believe they were using Synrad at the time.

Kev Williams
05-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Timely thread. My BIL who works for me has his own Gravo LS800 40w laser (Synrad) at home, it's about 7 years old, runs it hard, he deep engraves wood boxes with it every night.

Last week he said it started taking twice as long to get his work done. Our rep tested his laser last night, it's barely hitting 20 watts.
According to the machine the tube has 15,000 hours on it, so it's not like it's dying early, but it is dying.

Been perusing the board here for replacment suggestions, then hit google, and found this on ebay:

ebaydotcom/itm/like/121399263276?lpid=82&chn=ps

Seems there's several sellers, doing this, DPILasers, vikataol, laser-tech, etc... Laser-tech quotes $850 to recharge any Synrad under 45 watts...

Just curious if anyone here's used any of these services?