PDA

View Full Version : Basswood

William Young
05-14-2015, 8:54 PM
I have several 2x4x8' pieces of basswood. The wood is very soft. I know that turners and carvers like the wood, but I'm not sure what else it is good for. Is it ever used in furniture making? Should I just advertise it for sale to turners and carvers?

joe milana
05-14-2015, 9:10 PM
I've heard someone here mention that they use it for drawer boxes. I kinda like the idea and may give it a try since I have a local source. I normally use hard maple for drawers, but with soft close under mount glides, I think the basswood would be just fine.

James Baker SD
05-14-2015, 9:16 PM
I made a giant artwork frame by ripping a 2"X6"X8' into 2"x2" strips. Frame was 86"x30". Basswood kept the weight reasonable.

Sam Murdoch
05-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Basswood is one of my favorites. I have used it for many years for drawer boxes (I may be the guy Joe heard from on the subject) entire T&G ceilings, raised panels for doors, among others - as it mills easily - including hand cut dovetails - finishes clear like maple but with more even grain and nearly knot free, is light weight and just looks great with a light golden even color finished with a clear coat.

Having said that, I don't know what I would do with a couple of 8' 2x4s of basswood - kids toys or or some sort of carving are a few that come to mind - the art frame is a good idea too.

ed vitanovec
05-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Also used to make plantation window shutters

Clay Crocker
05-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Basswood is easy to work with and paints well. I recently built 20 puzzle frames for a neighbor friend of mine. I was please with it for that application.

Ted Calver
05-15-2015, 9:24 AM
Blocks for kids or giant laser engraved scrabble tiles?