PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Remove Blade Adjuster Screw?

Derek Arita
05-14-2015, 5:19 PM
I'm refurbishing a Bedrock and would like to remove the screw for the brass blade adjustment nut. Is there a way to do it without wrecking threads?

Jim Koepke
05-14-2015, 7:37 PM
The easiest way to remove it is with a pair of nuts of the same thread. These can then be put on the bolt and tightened against each other. (commonly known as a jam nut configuration)

BTW, using the jam nut method doesn't insure the threads will not receive some damage.

Easier still is to leave the bolt in place. More people have had trouble after removing this bolt. Not sure if Stanley used a mismatched thread to make it stay put once installed. If you are going to paint the frog, cover the bolt with tape.

jtk

Derek Arita
05-14-2015, 8:36 PM
Jim, jam nut is exactly what I was thinking. What size L hand thread do I need? I've been removing the screws with vise grips and sandpaper as padding, however I do have to repair threads after. I would hope that with the jam nuts, I'd have less damage.

Jim Koepke
05-14-2015, 8:49 PM
My curiosity is getting the better of me.

Why do you wish to remove the bolt?

I am not sure of the size and thread of the bolt. In the past I have used salvaged steel adjusters from broken planes made during WW II. I think mine were sold since I am not doing a lot of plane restoration these days.

jtk

Derek Arita
05-14-2015, 9:42 PM
Well, first, I like that I can fully clean and derust the entire screw. Secondly, there's always a lot of hidden rust in the screw hole that I like to clean out. I like to make sure that the entire plane is as rust free as I can possible get it. If there's rust in one area, I feel like it can spread from there. I also refurb all the nuts and bolts to like-new condition.

Mel Miller
05-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Any rust that MIGHT be under that screw isn't going anywhere. Those screws are tight in the hole and likely air tight.