PDA

View Full Version : American Live Edge Slabs Shipped To Canada?

mike mcilroy
05-13-2015, 6:54 PM
Has anybody had any live edge slabs shipped from an American source to a Canadian address.
If so any border hassles. When I asked 4 different people about bringing slabs across the border in my truck at Customs Canada, I got 4 different answers about what documentation was needed.
I'm hoping buying on the web and shipping would be easier and not too much more costly.

Kent A Bathurst
05-13-2015, 6:59 PM
You might run into a requirement that it is certified as having been heat-treated. IIRC, that requires a kiln temp of around 145* for an hour - something like that. Not sure if you need it, but I would no be surprised. Not sure that big slabs every get into a kiln as a normal process............

John Lankers
05-13-2015, 7:19 PM
Kent is probably right, plus you won't get it into the country with the bark still attached. If you're buying from a commercial source they should be able to provide you with the proper paperwork.

mike mcilroy
05-13-2015, 8:39 PM
Yep, I've heard about a Phyto-Sanitary Inspection from USDA (only one of a few different responses) that was if I picked up and brought it home myself. I used the USDA website to ask a few question and of course no response from them. I e mailed a supplier in Ohio and asked about this, he'd never heard of it. He said his slabs are all kiln dried no worries about pests but I don't think Customs cares about his word.
I also had a different supplier tell me they ship semi truck shipments to a buyer every 5 or 6 weeks which I could piggy back an order on. I would have to drive an hour and a half to get to their border crossing and I am also concerned about the truck not even stopping for me.
If I have to travel an hour and a half I'd rather just drive three hours and actually see the stock and select that way. Just so concerned about Customs using my slab for their weeny roast because I didn't do something properly!
That's why I am hoping for someone who has actually done this and had no issues.

Jim Andrew
05-13-2015, 8:44 PM
Think I would stop at the border crossing and ask what you have to provide for paperwork before buying the lumber.

mike mcilroy
05-13-2015, 9:09 PM
Jim
I have asked Customs Officers at the border 3 or 4 times all different answers. I have gone twice to the Customs inspection station where they inspect the semis coming in and there is a customs broker there and asked a couple of different Customs officers there and also stopped at the brokerage office. The answers there ranged from "don't know" to "that's CFIA" which is the food inspection agency.
I have tried the CFIA and CBSA websites, got phone #'s of important titled people and actually talked to them and then tried another person on the same directory for a corroborating answer and still get different answers from them.
I am not asking there anymore because I can't get two people to tell me the same thing. I think they either all clueless or just don't want to bother because it means extra work if someone does bring back wood.
Again this is why I'd like someone with actual experience to come forward because maybe their Customs Officers are actually helpful.

Myk Rian
05-13-2015, 9:18 PM
Set the slabs on legs and tell customs they are tables.

mike mcilroy
05-13-2015, 9:26 PM
Myk
I actually had a guy at a lumber store up here suggest that, he also said that half the customs guys wouldn't know if it was wood or plastic.:p
p.s. the two stores where I get my hardwood don't supply slabs and had no advice for Canadian or American slabs.

fRED mCnEILL
05-14-2015, 12:07 AM
I bought a small slab from theses guys last year. They know all about what paperwork you need as they ship to Canada as well. I didn't get any questions at the border but had what was needed if I did. Why don't you contact them.

www.jewellhardwoods.com/

Regards
Fred.

mike mcilroy
05-14-2015, 12:56 AM
Fred I went to the website but couldn't find where they were located. If I understand correctly you drove over and picked up the slab no problems? I would prefer that if they are near me,maybe I'm going to have to contact them and ask what paperwork I need and then contact other suppliers nearer to me to see if they provide the same paperwork. I only asked one American supplier about the Phyto sanitary certificate, I guess maybe I should have contacted more of them rather than the customs guys as they would have more concern or interest about the proper documentation.
A big thank you for this heads up.

Marius Titulescu
11-12-2015, 8:56 AM
I recommend the guys from customs broker Montreal. They move really fast and the prices are more than affordable.

roger wiegand
11-12-2015, 2:38 PM
I think you've already gotten your answer-- it's going to be different depending on who you talk to on the day you try to drive through with your slabs. If you don't want to read and interpret the law yourself you'll probably find it best to work with an experienced customs broker who can help you find a set of forms that will work. (the broker will not necessarily have only one answer, or even a "right" answer, but should be able to produce a pile of paper you can present at the border and get your materials across. After you've done it once you can just repeat the process in the future without the broker involved. You want to be sure you have at least a plausible argument backed up with lots of paper with many colorful stamps on it to ensure success.

The guys you're dealing with probably do not know the answer, but will respond yes (probably) or no when presented with a package justifying what you want to do.

Ian Moone
11-12-2015, 9:05 PM
I am reminded of a similar experience trying to bring a second hand rifle stock into this country... thousands come in new on rifles every week packed and crated - but try and send just one on its own! There was talk of it being burnt and needing fumigation and on and on it went. Every expert at the department had a different story/requirements.

Then a wise old customs guy told me this anecdote.

A old guy wheeled his wheel barrow across the border from Mexico into the USA every day with his stone mason / brick laying tools.
The border security peeps KNEW he must be smuggling something - but they searched him and his tools and wheel barrow EVERY day - they even x/rayed the tire on the wheel barrow to make sure there was no drugs in it! But they never did find anything!

On the day he retired @ age 65 years he said farewell to them on his last crossing, and they FINALLY said - Look we KNOW you been smuggling something into the USA every day of your life, and we never did catch you - so how about it - tell us all - what you been smuggling all these years?

He says - sure thing since I won't be back here tomorrow- all my working life- I been smuggling wheel barrows from Mexico into the USA, one more every day! :D

So the customs guy after telling me this said - (just fit an old rifle barrel and action to the stock - even if it doesn't work, & have it posted in described as "a rifle" - not as "a timber rifle stock". If you don't mention the wood aspect no one will check it - there's thousands of them come in every day packed in pallets from firearms manufacturers all over the world.
So that's what I did - got here in a week and no one said a thing at customs.
So as someone said - drive in and select your slab - put it upside down in the truck bed with legs on it and some old scrappy cheap chairs from China and your bringing back a dining suite not a timber slab!!
Recycle the chairs and legs for the same trip next week - rinse and repeat! ;)

lawrence dosson
11-13-2015, 9:52 AM
Mike

I lived south of Sarnia for ten or so years and brought wood through the sombra marine city border [to Canada] numerous times with no issues

I always ask the Canada border officers if I could return with wood almost always was informed yes as long as it had no bark
when you cross there [sombra ferry] you get the same officers as there is only one lane of traffic
was never asked if it was kiln dried asked if it was for my own use a few times and told I had to pay taxes on it a few times
and never once had any issues doing it but always returned while the same people were on duty
I am from the USA originally and now have moved back near port huron mi dozen miles or so from the border and when I moved back here I asked the US border guys about moving lumber and was told [ no bark ] and moved 4 large loads of lumber back with my personal stuff no issues at all
the table and legs idea would fly im sure but I like to be 100% up front as I cross frequently so I always just ask
I know what getting 4 different answers is like to but I never ran in to that over lumber maybe I was just lucky