View Full Version : Happy to have my "cabinet" drawers done

Jim Dunn
08-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Finally finished the set of drawers for my mitre bench. I've been a while working on them but it's not much of a choice between fishing and wood working in the summer:D Think I'll invest in a 10" blade for my table saw that is capable of cutting flat bottoms.

This fall/winter I hope to completely finish the bench. Course I've got a wall of landscape blocks to install this weekend and the next and the next. About 100' in all around 4' tall. It's for a shed I'm going to build for my wife.

Thanks for looking

Jim

Jon Toebbe
08-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Looks good! I'm trying to get a little woodworking in every day before school starts back up. When the kids get back, things get a mite busy... :)

How'd you cut the finger joints?

Jim Dunn
08-10-2005, 10:56 PM
They were cut on the table saw with the standard mitre gauge and a piece of 1/2" plywood screwed to it.

Ain't ya going to complement me on the face frame for the drawers? I think that was the hardest part. The finger joints were just repetitive cuts.

Dan Forman
08-11-2005, 3:08 AM
A fine job all around. I like the effect of the stripey fingers, definitely adds interest.

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
08-11-2005, 3:16 AM
Very nice work Jim. I like the looks of all the finger joints, and the runner system is nicely done.

- Vaughn

Jim Dunn
08-14-2005, 7:31 AM
Vaughn, thanks for noticing the runners on the drawers. I concluded that the drawer hardware if purchased would have cost me over $100.00. Couldn't justify the cost so I came up with the runner system. What you can just barely see in the pic is the stop to keep the drawers from tipping when they are slid out of the carcase. Their small but I needed a place for scroll saw blades screw drivers and the like. Don't like tools hanging on a tool board, too much dust collected, so I came up with enough room to store a lot of small stuff.

Christian Aufreiter
08-14-2005, 7:51 AM
Vaughn, thanks for noticing the runners on the drawers. I concluded that the drawer hardware if purchased would have cost me over $100.00. Couldn't justify the cost so I came up with the runner system. What you can just barely see in the pic is the stop to keep the drawers from tipping when they are slid out of the carcase. Their small but I needed a place for scroll saw blades screw drivers and the like. Don't like tools hanging on a tool board, too much dust collected, so I came up with enough room to store a lot of small stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't see the stop at all. It would be great if you could post a close up because your construction looks very nice and I'd like to learn more about it.

Thanks!

Christian

John Hart
08-14-2005, 7:56 AM
.....Ain't ya going to complement me on the face frame for the drawers? I think that was the hardest part.....

Very nice face frame Jim....looks like that was the hardest part!!!:D Very nicely done. The whole thing is great. I've been doing doors and shelves in my shop, but you're making me rethink that.

Jim Dunn
08-14-2005, 8:18 AM
The drawer slides are just edge banded melamine, so they are as slick as possible. As the drawer is slid out of the opening it is captured by the slide at the top to keep it from tipping. There is no "stop" to keep the drawer from being removed.

The drawer bottom is longer than the inside of the drawer so as to allow complete opening of the drawer.

I have about 15 hours or so in the entire project and I don't think it could have been done any faster with full opening drawer slides. Just more expensively:eek:

Jim

Jim Becker
08-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Those look really sharp, Jim! The box joints actually do great justice to turn what would normally be a negative (plywood "end grain") in to very much a positive. Bravo!

Christian Aufreiter
08-14-2005, 1:28 PM
Thanks for the explanation and the pics, Jim.

Christian

Jim Dunn
08-18-2005, 8:40 PM
Jim Becker, just had to thank you for the idea of the extended drawer bottoms. I knew somebody had told me about it but I couldn't remember who. Again thanks for ideas.
Jim Dunn

Jim Becker
08-18-2005, 8:56 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't me, Jim...no credit due here although I may have mentioned the Lee Valley drawers a long time ago that use this method. I do like the idea, however. Great job!

Dave Avery
08-18-2005, 9:08 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't me, Jim...no credit due here although I may have mentioned the Lee Valley drawers a long time ago that use this method. I do like the idea, however. Great job!

In fairness to Mr. Becker, he's just short of 10,000 posts and isnt' getting any younger. It's not a stretch to believe that he may not remember the post in question :) Sorry Jim, couldn't resist. All the best. Dave.

Jim Becker
08-18-2005, 9:19 PM
I'm sure the aging will accelerate once the girls are here for good (especially in a few years when the older becomes a teen)...but at least it doesn't affect my ability to "speak"...only to remember. CRS is such a debilitating disease... :D

Jim Dunn
08-18-2005, 10:02 PM
I, myself suffer from "partheimers". Can remember somethings but not all the time.:) Just you wait till those girls are teens. The hairs fall out tenfold for every year they are teens.