PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed, please - Aftermarket Jig for Gravograph M40?

Paul Williams from Nunavut
05-12-2015, 2:31 PM
Hi folks. I'm looking for some jig or other device that will let me lock down odd shaped projects for my M40 cutter-engraver. Lately I've been getting requests to engrave the blades of Inuit ulus (women's cutting knives), but the handle as is true of most knives I suppose is thicker than the blade. The jigs that were supplied with the machine, even the sticky table, are of no use.

Is there an aftermarket jig that will solidly support the knife while it is being worked on, in such a way that the blade stays level. My problem is two fold, then: getting something to lock it up so it won't move, and elevating the blade part; in my attempts, the engraving starts off well, but then towards the end lines of the project cutter doesn't reach the metal consistently. I tried to upload a couple of photos to better explain, but the uploads keep failing.

I've also tried to laser engrave the blades, using Cermark, but I have never had success with it, and it discolours the stainless steel wickedly.

Thanks, Paul+

Mike Null
05-12-2015, 4:25 PM
I use wood working squeeze clamps, wood spacers, leather spacers etc. I have even put the blade edge in the vise.

05-12-2015, 4:36 PM
I use wood working squeeze clamps, wood spacers, leather spacers etc. I have even put the blade edge in the vise.

Squeeze clamps and spacers? Hmmm, sounds like just the ticket. Maybe them in conjunction with a homemade wood slab as a foundation would work. The current sticky table would be too wide, I think.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate this. Paul+

Scott Marquez
05-12-2015, 7:56 PM
Can you use play dough or a puddy that you could form to your object ?
Scott

Keith Winter
05-12-2015, 8:15 PM
1/2 thick piece of wood from lowes or Home Depot slid it under your blades to level them up. Can also use door shims stacked to level them

Mike Null
05-12-2015, 9:29 PM
Paul

I've had good luck cleaning Cermark stains with a slightly abrasive metal polish.

Tony Lenkic
05-12-2015, 9:36 PM
Paul,

U-marq has a jig for applications like that. Wonder if it could be adopted to M40 machine.
Here is a link ...............https://www.u-marq.us/jigs

05-16-2015, 5:14 PM
Can you use play dough or a puddy that you could form to your object ?
Scott

I can certainly give that a try. Thanks, Scott.

05-16-2015, 5:15 PM
1/2 thick piece of wood from lowes or Home Depot slid it under your blades to level them up. Can also use door shims stacked to level them

That, along with Mike's earlier suggestion of clamps would do the job, I should think. Thanks, Keith.

05-16-2015, 5:16 PM
Paul

I've had good luck cleaning Cermark stains with a slightly abrasive metal polish.

Well, I have some Silvo and some Brasso. I can give them a try. Thanks again, Mike

05-16-2015, 5:20 PM
Paul,

U-marq has a jig for applications like that. Wonder if it could be adopted to M40 machine.
Here is a link ...............https://www.u-marq.us/jigs

It's kinda hard to tell from their photo, in regards to how it is connected to the machine. I can give them a call on Tuesday and check. If it can attach, it looks good. Thanks Tony.

Phil Vernon
05-16-2015, 6:05 PM
Hi Paul,
Can you not get enough travel in your floating spindle to take up the height discrepancy.
If your worried about varying depth of mark then maybe use the nose cone and apply a tape (masking) on area to be engraved to minimise drag scratches from the nose.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Phil.
P.S. Are you rotary engraving or diamond dragging. Diamond is probably best.

05-19-2015, 3:57 AM
Hi Phil. I tried both diamond dragging and rotary (since it was a stainless steel, as in a reworked old saw-blade, that I was cutting into). I think that my best bet might be to use my laser engraver to prepare a fixture to set the ulu into, with different depths for the stem of the knife and the handle, and leaving the blade itself level. I don't know why I didn't consider that earlier. Like it says... "not a lot of imagination". Thanks, though.