PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Wood Lidded Bowl

Bob Bergstrom
05-12-2015, 11:46 AM
My daughter bought me a block of zebra wood for Christmas. It was all waxed so I thought it was still wet. I finally decided to to turn it and found it was bone dry. It was too thick for a well proportioned bowl so I parted a slab off the top and made it into a lidded bowl. It is quarter sawed so it should be pretty stabile. The lid is headed on the rim and underside using a 3/8" spindle gouge. The knob is wenge. Bowl is about 8" across and 3" deep. Two coats of oil and two of lacquer. Rubbed it out with black wax to fill the pores. I gave it back to her for her birthday. I enjoyed turning it but giving it to her was priceless.

David B Thornton
05-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Wow, that is beautiful. I just finished with a Zebrawood pen and pizza cutter for my wife for mother's day. Very fun wood to work with.

Brian Brown
05-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Wow Bob, that's really nice. I have always been a fan of Zebra wood. The wenge makes a great contrast, and I really like the stepped collar at the top of the lid. It really adds to the piece. THe details inside are great too. Do you plan your pieces on the fly, or do you design them out ahead of time?

Roger Chandler
05-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Wow, that is a real looker, Bob! What a beauty! http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/forum/images/smilies/eusa_clap.gif Very nicely proportioned and the wenge knob looks terrific with the Zebrano.

Bruce Lewane
05-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Very, very nice.
Love working with Zebrawood.

daryl moses
05-12-2015, 12:53 PM
That sir is beautiful. Very nice form and a super job turning and finishing.
You also have a very wise daughter.........

David Delo
05-12-2015, 1:13 PM
That's a real head turner Bob. Beautiful wood combination, great workmanship and excellent finish.

Bob Bergstrom
05-12-2015, 2:42 PM
Wow Bob, that's really nice. I have always been a fan of Zebra wood. The wenge makes a great contrast, and I really like the stepped collar at the top of the lid. It really adds to the piece. THe details inside are great too. Do you plan your pieces on the fly, or do you design them out ahead of time?

Brian
I usually wing it. I've turned a lot of bowls over the past 40 years so shapes and proportions are in my head. It was a little different with the knob. I turned 3 or 4 different looks before this one. The beading is done with a pointed grind on a 3/8" Thompson deep spindle gouge. Great tool for turning small beads. The lid is a box quality fit. Pick it up by the knob and the bowl will release about 2 inches above the table.

BILL DONAHUE
05-12-2015, 9:16 PM
Wow! That's a very beautiful and practical piece. Nice proportions, nice everything.

Curtis Myers
05-12-2015, 9:44 PM
Very nice. Well balanced.

Bob Bergstrom
05-12-2015, 11:33 PM
The rim of the bowl is actually under the lower bead. There is a lip on the rim of the lid that sets inside of rim of the bowl. The rim on the bowl is undercut slightly in case an adjustment must be made to the fit. I can sand off a minimum of material to refit the lid into the bowl.

Lori Kleinberg
05-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Beautiful bowl.

Rick Gibson
05-13-2015, 8:51 AM
Great looking bowl Bob. I can well imagine how it was received. Hope you signed it after these pictures were taken.

Steve Huffman
05-13-2015, 9:44 AM
Bob, you sure turned a keeper here. Spectacular wood, excellent craftsmanship!!! Nice work :)

Tim Boger
05-13-2015, 4:00 PM
Yep ... that there's a purdy piece of work.