PDA

View Full Version : T bolts, toilet bolts, and 1/4-20 hex head use

David Ragan
05-12-2015, 7:45 AM
So-am trying to decide about which of the above to use in making some jigs. Have a slew of Rockler T-bolts in a kit, 1/4 20. My Rockler router table uses 1/4-20. That's all so far. But- I see a lot more jigs in my future....

Am looking @ T track on Amazon. Prefer the cheaper stuff.

Would rather not be tied down to Rockler style stuff. Is is really worth it? "Universal T Track"

Anybody use the Shop Fox style T track, and 1/4-20 hex head bolts--seems to be cheapest.

Is the slop inherent in some of these systems really an issue, once you get it tightened down?

Phil Thien
05-12-2015, 8:02 AM
I use the Rockler 5/16-18 t-bolts, mostly. Some 1/4-20. But I cut all my t-slot on my router table, I don't use any of the aluminum extrusion.

The t-slot bits work great, Whiteside has one now. My previous was an Amana that I purchased at Rockler. Rockler's current bit is MIC (Made-In-China).

glenn bradley
05-12-2015, 8:20 AM
Like Phil I use both. Incra is 1/4" x 20 for the most part so the fixtures and mods for those items are 1/4" x 20. My stuff and my Rockler fences are 5/16" x 18 so I have a lot of that too. I find the Rockler Universal track worth it since it fits both. I also make a similar profile when I cut my own in the places that I use that method. This means that if I have a 1/4" x 20 holddown that I want to use on my 5/16" x 18 sled, I don't have to fuss with swapping the bolt for a secure fit and vice-versa.

I do have other track types and for what their made for they are fine but, they can stall my flow now and then since only parts made for them fit well. The value of the Universal track will vary based on how you work, what jigs you have and how much you interchange fixtures. I like being able to have my holddowns and stop blocks do double duty so I don't need separate ones for different jigs.