PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly helical cutterhead for my Lobo planer

Dave Winters
05-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Hi-
So I've been wanting to upgrade my 20" Lobo planer WP 1120 to a helical cutterhead, and Byrd doesn't make one specifically for this machine. (Although they said to measure everything and maybe one of their 20" heads will fit)
Now, Grizzly has a machine that looks identical, their G5850, for which they have a helical head, priced at $1080.00
Anybody have a Griz helical head? How's the performance? I know the Byrds are well regarded.313412313413Grizz on the left, Lobo on the right, mines a little older, and green!

Jim Andrew
05-12-2015, 8:42 AM
There was a used Woodtek for sale last week, and I was going to investigate the same cutterhead if I got it, unfortunately, must have been lower on the list, so no call. Think I would take the head out, measure everything and call Grizzly. Might even have to order the head to determine if it will fit for sure. They told me I would have to pay the return freight, plus 10% restocking fee if I can't use a part I order. Do you like the machine? Wonder how much a plus the variable speed feed motor is for the Grizzly? I have one Byrd head on my jointer, and a 15" planer with the Grizzly head, can't tell the difference. Both work well.

Dave Winters
05-12-2015, 9:23 AM
Jim-
I like the machine, and i got it for a song as it's three phase...someday I'll persue gearing it for a slower feed rate. I thought the same thing about taking the head out and just measuring.
Thanks!

Matt Day
05-12-2015, 9:41 AM
There have been a number of discussions on Byrd v grizzly v other cutterheads, and I think the general consensus is that Grizzly performs equally as well. Do a search and you'll find more info.

Brian Gumpper
05-12-2015, 7:08 PM
Byrd does not have the Lobo listed but do have the Grizzly which just means if they are the same, they simply don't know it. If you want a Byrd drawing for the G5850 send me a PM and you can compare. I don't see that Grizzly sells their version for that machine but could be missing it.