PDA

View Full Version : Boxes, boxes, boxes...

Thom Sturgill
05-11-2015, 7:33 PM
This first box you might have seen before now with a new lid :
before and after:

The new lid brings it closer to the original idea and my retired teacher wife loves her apple...
Mahogany 4" tall

The second box is also mahogany and stands 5 1/2" tall:
Finish on these is Deft Lacquer sanding sealer, buffed and polished

The last box is curly maple, walnut and brass with lacquer and red and black acrylic paint:
On this box I burned the underneath and painted with black gesso and oversprayed with Krylon acrylic which turned white in spots. so it needs work. I started this one over a year ago and sis not like the lid, so never finished. I removed a knob I had turned on the top and made the gate piece for a handle. The researched and painted the caligraphy. My first attempt at Japanese Kanji, so apologies if I got it wrong.

I took the pictures outside under evening light. I prefer morning sun and will have to redo them.

Sid Matheny
05-11-2015, 8:51 PM
They all a very nice and I love the apple. The last one is not my style but very well done!

Doug Herzberg
05-11-2015, 11:43 PM
I like them all. The apple "after" is a big improvement and the other mahogany is unique. The last one is my style, and I love it. Thanks for sharing, Thom.

Doug Herzberg
05-11-2015, 11:46 PM
I showed my wife the last one and she doesn't want me to make one, she just wants to know how much yours is selling for. That hurts. She'd probably trade you my lathe for it, but yours is already nicer.

Curtis Myers
05-12-2015, 5:56 AM
The "after" apply really catches my eye.

David Delo
05-12-2015, 7:54 AM
Another fine collection Thom. I like the detail on the mahogany box but the after apple is really cool.

William C Rogers
05-12-2015, 9:09 AM
The after Apple is really neat. Nice job on all of them.

Thom Sturgill
05-12-2015, 10:22 AM
I showed my wife the last one and she doesn't want me to make one, she just wants to know how much yours is selling for. That hurts. She'd probably trade you my lathe for it, but yours is already nicer.

After setting on my shelf unfinished for a year, I am not ready to let go of it yet. BTW I love your taglines!

Thom Sturgill
05-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the comments. The large mahogany was turned after the urn was finished just as a break from the urn. It was originally intended to be a much taller vase, but the wood had numerous cracks and that is a big as I could make it and remove the cracks. The lid was cut off from a taller neck and shows a fine crack.

To paraphrase John Jordan, "You can spend time fixing cracks, but when all is said and done, a cracked bowl is still just a cracked bowl".

The new lid for the 'apple' was turned from a scrap of the larger mahogany piece since the colors match.

Stan Smith
05-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Very Nice, Thom. I use a Deft/lacquer thinner mix for pens. Very little buffing needed.