PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Bandsaw Blade -- on the Machine?

Bernie Kopfer
05-11-2015, 5:50 PM
Okay, I might be considered a tad lazy but I see it as trying to be efficient. And besides I don't care to wrestle with a Resaw King 1 inch blade. Does anyone have a successful method of cleaning a bandsaw blade while it is still on the machine? The pitch and stuff appears to be quite well attached so soaking it in blade cleaner will probably be the better option but just maybe someone has a method to clean it well and safely while still installed.

mark kosse
05-11-2015, 9:52 PM
Bernie, many folks here will think I'm nuts but I regularly clean mine with a finishing nail while it is running to scrape pitch off the sides of the blade and then I brush the teeth with a small brass brush while the blade is stopped. Not for everybody but my saws get about 20 hours of run time weekly. It helps a lot.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-12-2015, 8:29 AM
I've done what Mark mentioned, but by turning by hand. No liquid though as it'll get onto the wheels and possibly mess them up.

John K Jordan
05-12-2015, 10:01 PM
I clean built-up pine pitch on my Woodmizer bandsaw mill with a long screwdriver, standing behind and careful to never touch the teeth. I consider this perfectly safe if contact is in the right place. For a reason I don't understand, the pitch is always on just the top of the blade (inside).

In the shop (18" Rikon) I use a piece of 1/4" brass tubing mounted in a handle for the same thing. I tried a piece of hardwood but it didn't work.

ian maybury
05-13-2015, 7:31 AM
It seems likely that using anything like the caustic oven cleaners and the like used on circular saw blades on a saw would lead to pretty severe corrosion, not to mention short term traction issues and the like. Probably a risk of bearing problems too. As Steve i'd be very cautious of using any liquid...