PDA

View Full Version : Blum 563H, Maximum drawer width

Martin Wasner
05-11-2015, 5:37 PM
I can't find anything on this. I've found all of the other parameters here (http://cabinetreecollection.com/store/catalog/catalogs/Blum/Blum_TANDEM_plus_BLUMOTION_563H_Installation_Instr uctions.pdf) but not the maximum drawer recommendations.

On a 21" drawer, I've always avoided going much over 36" wide. No real reason, just my own thoughts that much wider than that is too wide, and that racking will prematurely wear the slides. The other line of thinking is that the bigger the drawer, the easier it is to exceed the weight rating. I've got a new customer that is going to be asking routinely for drawers that are forty plus inches wide. I know for another $25, Blum has a add on for drawers they call a Lateral Stabilizer to counter the racking. There the specification is a maximum of 53", but once again, there is no information at what width for a given length that they should be added to the drawer.

I had a job a few years ago on a spec house where the new owner wanted to modify what was originally installed as four drawers, 8-1/4" tall, turned into one drawer that was about 36" wide, and probably ~18" tall. She wanted the face too look like the original cabinet though, so the original fronts were re-used, the cabinet modified, and the drawer installed. The drawer was huge and with the fronts on it was pretty heavy. I'd guess it probably weighed close to thirty pounds on it's own. Possibly more. That right there is eating up about a third of the capacity and with a drawer that size, it won't take much to put sixty pounds of whatever in it. At the time I said that I would not warranty it if anything went wrong. I see now that there is a 135# version available for 5/8" sides, but I don't know if that was even available at the time.

Garth Snyder
05-13-2015, 2:45 PM
There is a more complete brochure available here (http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/30/10/) with some additional details. Blum recommends stabilizers for drawers over 24" wide, regardless of depth.

Martin Wasner
05-13-2015, 5:58 PM
That's interesting. Huh. Over 24" seems kinda silly to me. I don't feel like that is that a very wide drawer. Wide, but not WIDE.

Thanks for that Garth

Justin Ludwig
05-14-2015, 7:48 AM
I'd be comfortable installing 40-48" wide drawers with the 135# rated guides. Anything wider and I'd attempt to talk them out it or recommend a heavy duty side mount, followed with, "you can't have your cake and eat it too."

I currently have 4 drawers between 32-36" that are getting a 5/8" pegged insert that will be cut to fit, and those are getting the standard 563H. If they happen to fail down the road, I'll replace them with a 569, but I don't fret that they will.

peter gagliardi
05-15-2015, 7:28 AM
I build a fair amount of kitchens, and have used the Blum on drawers as wide as 42-44" with zero issues. Given the option, I would choose an undermount vs. a side mount every time if ultimate loading were not an issue. The undermount just plain tracks better. There is always a slight amount of drag from the balls in a side mount which contributes to the side racking.
Wide drawers also benefit from proper placement and number of knobs or pulls.