PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing in Reverse

Dave Fritz
05-11-2015, 5:29 PM
I'm wondering if anyone hollows in reverse? Seems it would be easier to see inside while working.

I'm using a modified Jamieson system and wonder if there's a curved 3/8th inch cutter holder that would work while reverse turning.

The chuck is a super nova two with the power jaws and the grub screw is engaged to hold the chuck on the lathe.

Dave Fritz

Kyle Iwamoto
05-11-2015, 5:53 PM
I have a Don Derry hollower, and his rigs can be used in reverse. I can't see how you could see inside any better though. It is more comfortable to hollow in reverse, since you're cutting on the far side, and the tool handle is closer to you. The laser however, if you have one, is on the other side and harder to see....... Don hollows in reverse, and the audience can see the laser and how it works. Pretty cool to watch. Easy to see what is going on.

Tom Borener
05-11-2015, 7:02 PM
The first person I saw hollowing in reverse was J. Paul Fennell, at a demo in Mesa. I move the headstock down the bed of my lathe and stand directly in front of my hollowing. If you reverse hollow, you might want to make sure you have a set screw on on you chuck or face plate to make sure it doesn't unwind.

Thom Sturgill
05-11-2015, 7:35 PM
Kyle, good point about the laser. This would be a great place for the visualizer technology though.

Doug Herzberg
05-11-2015, 7:53 PM
I may have to try it someday just to keep my back from aching afterward. Haven't yet, though.

robert baccus
05-11-2015, 10:31 PM
I often hollow in reverse if it helps reach an area. I don't even own a grub screw but I do use a thread lube that prevents seizes and seems to make a standard tightening hold very well. Reverse sanding works also.

Jeffrey J Smith
05-11-2015, 11:35 PM
I learned to hollow in reverse from Dave Schweitzer. His hollowing tool is available for either side, but he prefers reverse for hollowing. I do like it - for me, it's easier to see what's going on, but then I'm naturally left handed. I've set up my home-grown Jamieson style rig for reverse hollowing on occasion, but as mentioned above, the laser gets hard to see when you've gone around the curve. I like the more upright posture rather than bending over to try to see inside, but then I've gotten over trying to see what's happening inside as my experience grows.
The set screw is mandatory - at least for me.

David M Anderson
05-12-2015, 4:13 AM
I saw a video done by Cap'n Eddie showing some reverse hollowing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-vEzUBGsts

Dave Fritz
05-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Jeffery,

Do you use the straight 3/8th inch cutter holder or did you have one made to curve to the right, instead of the left?

To answer the question about why it's easier to see inside, well Capt. Eddy explains that better than I could.

Dave Fritz

Sid Matheny
05-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Dave the setup you have that I saw on the other forum looks like you have plenty of room to stand behind your lathe. I would think that would work as well if not better than turning in reverse. At least you wouldn't need new cutters.

Jeffrey J Smith
05-13-2015, 9:07 PM
Jeffery,

Do you use the straight 3/8th inch cutter holder or did you have one made to curve to the right, instead of the left?

I've used both - the straight holder with the cutter aimed to the right, and the curved cutter turned upside down with the cutter upright. Looks weird, but it works.

Dave Fritz
05-14-2015, 9:50 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Sid, I finally figured that out, slow learner.

Dave Fritz

Kyle Iwamoto
05-14-2015, 5:18 PM
If you stand on the "other" side of the lathe, be sure you can safely get to that pesky on off switch and speed control dial.......

Thomas Heck
05-14-2015, 9:18 PM
I have the Dway hollowed for reverse and I'm right handed. I haven't hollowed too many yet, but it works great in reverse. Keeps me from leaning over the way to hollow in forward.

Sid Matheny
05-14-2015, 10:27 PM
If you stand on the "other" side of the lathe, be sure you can safely get to that pesky on off switch and speed control dial.......

Dave has a Robust so he can put the remote on the back side.