PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
05-11-2015, 8:37 AM
11 May 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
It's been a busy but good week and weekend. I got the table top done for the law office finished and the contractor will come and pick it up maybe tomorrow. Chuck and I worked on our guitar build projects on Saturday and got his guitar put together with the neck aligned and bolted on. The fret work has been done on both guitar necks as well as the finger board dot work. We will get my neck aligned and mounted to the body later this week. Needless to say, that we are both excited to be doing this as it has been on our bucket list for several years now.

If you want to see our progress, you can look at it in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?227269-And-So-It-Begins-Build-Thread-Strat/page4

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Keith Hankins
05-11-2015, 9:00 AM
Completed my BenchCrafted Moxon Vice project. There hardware is simply top notch. I used 8/4" Hard Maple that had been rough dimensioned and stickered for a week.

Got the chance to use the new LN chisels and router plane. Attached the leather face to the movable jaw with contact cement and rolled out with a J-Roller, and it came out just fine.

I did coat the wheels with a couple coats of spray shellac. My shop is in my walk out basement, so wanted to project it from that pesky surface rust that would happen I'm sure.

Anyway, all turned out fantastic. One could spin and it sticks and you cannot budge it. I will probably chamfer the front edge for half-blind cutting but i'm going to wait and see first.

I highly reccomend the BenchCrafted items.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22447246@N06/sets/72157652354201371/

Shawn Pixley
05-11-2015, 9:44 AM
Saturday, I scored LOML some new to her files at a garage sale. I worked on refining the design for the leg bas on a collector's cabinet I am building. After it was final, I got a last piece of walnut for the aprons. Later, I took LOML out for dinner and a movie.

Yesterday, I took the legs / aprons from rough stock to complete awaiting the stringing. I have the curved slots to cut and then I can install the stringing.

Phil Thien
05-11-2015, 10:41 AM
We got to go visit my daughter on Saturday (she is at UW Madison) and take her to lunch, and then bring some of her stuff back with us. She finishes Friday so one more trip over to get her and the rest of the stuff in her dorm, and she is home for the summer.

On Sunday I did a bunch of shop clean-up. I can't stand the plastic cases that tools come in. Such a pain to stop everything, open the box, find a place for the open case, etc. I had long thought of building a cubby unit for the tools, but figured it would collect dust, the sizing would never be right, etc.

I had previously figured that the little rafter hooks work well on my concrete block foundation. But tools hanging on them would get wall rash, where the tool scrapes against the wall. I'm not neurotic about keeping my tools in good condition (that is a lie, yes I am), but didn't see the point in just scraping them up.

So Sunday I realized that if I took some 2x3's and used rafter hooks to hang those, I could then use hooks for the tools and they wouldn't scrap against the wall. Plus I'd have more flexibility on where to place the tools along the 2x3 (not limited by usable voids in the blocks).

Works great, easy access to all my tools, used otherwise wasted space, easy to remember what tools I already own (DON'T LAUGH, I found a couple I had forgotten I had purchased), I can pack anything I need in a "go bag" if heading to daughter's or friend's, plastic cases are gone.

David B Thornton
05-11-2015, 3:06 PM
Not any sort of "Fine" woodworking by a long shot, but was sure fun. I've been collecting pallets from down the street for a few weeks as my brother wanted some furniture around their fire pit, so I suggested some pallet couches. Here's how they ended up so far. The one on the right has a flip down center console for extra beer holders and flips up if you want to pass out on it at the end of the night :D

Now that they're put together, we'll be sanding them down and putting on a Seahawks paint scheme and then his wife will be making some cushions for them as well.

Total cost of $0 so far, minus the screws that we used to assemble them.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-f21Fy2sZ9Tg/VVD9GPm1mOI/AAAAAAAAEz4/SLr5K-0FrYk/w960-h720-no/Pallet_Couches.jpg

Brian W Smith
05-11-2015, 3:12 PM
Generally,I spend between 60-80 hrs a week "in the shop".......w/ends there,would be something special(and it does occur,frequently).

So,this w/end am reading/enjoying a 1958 biography on Thos. Edison.No biggy,we have an extensive,dedicated library.....I go through right around a book a week.But what was funny about this book,everyone I mentioned Edison to(when queried about,whatchadoin)....was incredibly quick to,quip....."oh,he's a ****.

O'kaaaaay,and exactly what are/were your contributions to society again?Just sayin,folks were so incredibly quick to pass judgement...kinda funny really.