PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf Finally Finished

Glen Johnson
05-10-2015, 7:37 PM
I finally finished my Thomas and John Seymore inspired bookshelf. Had I known what I was tackling, I probably would not have started. It took so long I transitioned from power tools and vacuum press to hand toos and hammer veneering for trim and doors. I think I started it six years ago. Its been so long, I can't really rememer. It seemed at every step something went wrong. I learned how to fix a lot of problems. I learned mahogany does not steam bend. I learned that muntins and mullions are fragile and break easy even if you have spend days cutting the bridal joints. I could go on. The carcass is ribbon mahogany. The yellow trim is satinwood. I used sapele on the inside of the doors.

Kyle DuPont
05-10-2015, 7:46 PM
Very beautiful work! Congratulations on completion.

Dave Beauchesne
05-10-2015, 8:26 PM
Wow! Spectacular.

Mel Fulks
05-10-2015, 8:53 PM
That ain't no bookshelf! That there is a fine high style book CASE! Congratulations on persevering. One thing you might
consider is a bright fabric on the back, something like a silk moire. Really dresses up those things.

Kent A Bathurst
05-10-2015, 9:13 PM
Wow! Spectacular.

Perzactly...............

Harold Burrell
05-10-2015, 9:16 PM
Man, oh man, oh man! Absolutely stunning. :eek:

James Pallas
05-10-2015, 9:40 PM
Beautifully executed woodwork. You must be pleased after having all of the trials you described.
Jim

Steve Voigt
05-10-2015, 9:40 PM
Very nice!

Nick Olimpi
05-10-2015, 9:51 PM
Wow, excellent work, absolutely beautiful!

Stew Denton
05-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Glen,

Like Harold said, Absolutely Stunning! Spectacular work. Congrats!

Stew

Brian Holcombe
05-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Gorgeous! Excellent work and excellent attention to details such as book matching.

Jim Koepke
05-10-2015, 11:28 PM
An inspiring piece.

I hope that door next to is blocked from flying open into your beautiful book case.

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
05-11-2015, 3:15 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous, and worthy of residing in some royal palace.

Glen Johnson
05-11-2015, 6:55 AM
Mel,

Thanks for the suggestion on putting silk on the back. I have seen pictures of some use of silk a curtains in the front to protect books from sun damage. I decided against that. Putting silk at the back of the case is an interesting idea. It would make the piece a bit brighter and I believe would still be authentic to period design principles.

Jim Matthews
05-11-2015, 7:06 AM
I've got to avoid reading threads like these.

It's an accomplished piece, regardless of the time elapsed.
The veneering alone escapes me.

kudos

Al Launier
05-11-2015, 7:45 AM
Absolutely outstanding! Words cannot describe the quality & beauty of your work. The only downside is that after seeing the finished product your wife has probably decided what your next project is. Hopefully it'll be shorter than six years. ;)

george wilson
05-11-2015, 9:02 AM
Looks like a great job!!

But I must say that mahogany does steam bend. You must have been doing something wrong. Bending too thick a piece into too small a curve,etc. There are countless guitars out there with mahogany sides and backs. To say nothing of boats. I have made many guitars from mahogany. Keep up the good work,and the learning too.

Patrick McCarthy
05-11-2015, 9:37 AM
Simply beautiful! You deserve to be proud.

Mel Fulks
05-11-2015, 10:41 AM
It's easy to find pics ,you see it in a lot of old British libraries. What I would do is cover cardboard with the fabric and
just pressure fit in case . Even though it just shows over top of books it does a good job of "lighting".

Glen Johnson
05-11-2015, 12:52 PM
George,

Thanks for your kind words. You have always inspired me with your craftmanship and artistics abilities.

Assuming I was doing something wrong would be a good assumption on steam bending or any other part of my woodworking. Certainly, as wood gets thinner, it bends easier. I was only trying to bend short pieces about a foot long and a half an inch thick and they all split no matter how long I left them in my steam box. When I researched it on the internet, the consensus was that mahogany was one of the more difficult woods to bend. I gave up on the steam and just cut the curved moldings. That would have been a better plan to begin with.

Looks like a great job!!

But I must say that mahogany does steam bend. You must have been doing something wrong. Bending too thick a piece into too small a curve,etc. There are countless guitars out there with mahogany sides and backs. To say nothing of boats. I have made many guitars from mahogany. Keep up the good work,and the learning too.

Will Boulware
05-11-2015, 2:19 PM
Amazing work! Thanks for the inspiration!

Frederick Skelly
05-11-2015, 5:47 PM
Wow. What a beautiful piece of work! Congratulations, you've just created an antique - people will cherish that piece for generations!
Fred

Christopher Charles
05-11-2015, 5:55 PM
Looks great--your persistence paid off! May the long road and past mistakes fade each time you look at it!

Cheers,
C