PDA

View Full Version : Weather craziness

Steve Rozmiarek
05-10-2015, 6:33 PM
Ok, so a couple days ago I took this picture, birds were singing, crops looked good, it was generally beautiful. Heck we had even mowed the lawn a couple times.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-XsuZuU78q2I/VTvIUTd4h8I/AAAAAAAAKRg/R0eMy47IVuw/w487-h865-no/20150425_110019.jpg

This morning though, it looked like this.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pD2dDJ0uLfE/VU9wEc1VyjI/AAAAAAAAKeQ/4Ip8qcXFGV4/w487-h865-no/20150510_084845.jpg

Does this happen elsewhere, or is it just another one of the delightfully unique reasons to live in western Nebraska?

Heidi pup is the only one who likes it as far as I can tell. 18" of sloppy wet yuk here, preceded by a lot of rain. Awesome.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X0QXulLuRug/VU9ychgnSmI/AAAAAAAAKfQ/k35A68HJeo4/w487-h865-no/20150510_085719.jpg

Kent A Bathurst
05-10-2015, 7:31 PM
Speaking from the cheap seats in Atlanta, Steve...... That is actually pretty cool. No pun intended.......

Can still see the puppy's head - that's a good sign right there. She doesn't look very happy to pose for the photo, tho - I'm with her.

Plus - you are west of tornado alley - they had a few problems out East recently.

My entire family is from Central Eastern Kansas - the bowling alley for the tornado Gods, as it were....The weather on the central plains is definitely something to be reckoned with.

Thanks for the photos........... Happy to commiserate with you.......

Regards

Kent

Wade Lippman
05-10-2015, 7:37 PM
Our weather was not quite so odd, but still odd.
Extremely cold weather all winter, 20* below normal. This week 25* above normal.
No rain for 10 days. Today 2.25" so far.
Must be global warming.

Myk Rian
05-10-2015, 9:08 PM
We had weather like that 2 years ago. There were absolutely NO tree crops that year.
Last year wasn't really any better.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-11-2015, 8:58 AM
Myk, do you know what will happen to the trees that had leaves? I've seen them be fine before, but never in this drastic of a storm.

Kent, we actually get tornados here too. I work close to where one went through 20 or so years ago, and you can still see the trail of carnage it left. Bowling alley is a good analogy, it still looks like a wandering enormous bowling ball went through the scattered trees and buildings in that area. Heidi (the dog) is just acting in that pic. She loves the snow, the yard is covered with her trails now. For some reason, she'll take a couple bouncey jumps along, then stick her head and most of her front half into the snow. Just goofy I guess.

Wade, I guess the rain has been saving up for you? Enjoy it!

Dave Anderson NH
05-11-2015, 10:00 AM
It happens occasionally in NH too Steve. Three years ago we had 24" of snow on Halloween and not more than another 30" the rest of the winter. This year we had over 100" in February. It does occasionally snow in May here and up north in the mountains I remember a year when it snowed on Mt. Washington on July 4th.

The old New England joke is that if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.

Steve Peterson
05-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Myk, do you know what will happen to the trees that had leaves? I've seen them be fine before, but never in this drastic of a storm.

I am in the foothills near Sacramento California at around 1300' elevation. One year the trees had all sprouted leaves and we got about 6" of snow in April followed by rain. There were so many oak trees falling over that we had around 10 years worth of firewood. They would have been fine if that amount of snow had fallen in February.

Steve

Jerry Thompson
05-11-2015, 4:03 PM
One June in WY I had to dig down through three feet of snow to grease with windmill.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-12-2015, 8:25 AM
Well, now we have flood watches down river generated by the storm. Now that is rare here. Actually any moisture is kind of rare. I guess it's interesting at least to see how these extremes support an attractive sounding average number, when in reality the 70 degree and sunny average is usually because it was either 25 or 100 for a series of days, never 70. Weather forecasting must be a tremendously hard job.

Rod Sheridan
05-12-2015, 9:01 AM
Well Steve, it wasn't here so thanks for taking one for the team :-)

Myk Rian
05-12-2015, 9:53 AM
!
It wasn't so much the leaves. They still grew. It was the fruit flowers that got it.

Larry Frank
05-12-2015, 10:06 AM
That is crazy and I hope the flowering trees and bushes are not too badly damaged.

Jim Andrew
05-12-2015, 9:36 PM
I'm slightly east of I 135 in Kansas, never dreamed it snowed in Nebraska. We had a cold nights the last couple, but did not freeze. It froze just before the cheeries and the apples bloomed, but did not after they bloomed, so maybe we will have fruit this year. Usually we get a late freeze and have 54 lb test weight wheat. And no fruit.

Scott Hearn
05-13-2015, 2:22 AM
Well here in Oklahoma after 5 years of drought it's caught up in a week, most of our lakes are running open flood gates. A few lakes in the western part of the state are up multiple feet this week but are still 11 to 17 feet low. About all the others are above flood level and rising.

And after a couple of days break it's starts again later today. Geeze!

Steve Rozmiarek
05-13-2015, 9:14 AM
I know a guy who went hunting in western Texas this weekend, said they just got epic rain in that spot, same storm as yours possibly Scott?. Apparently this weather is all along the front edge of the rockies.

LOL, sure Rod, just this once though. Larry, my daughter pointed out that shockingly, the apple tree in the yard still has some good looking flowers, we may luck out.... Not good weather to finish planting corn in though. I'm a little worried about 54# wheat now too Jim.

Scott Hearn
05-13-2015, 1:05 PM
I know a guy who went hunting in western Texas this weekend, said they just got epic rain in that spot, same storm as yours possibly Scott?. Apparently this weather is all along the front edge of the rockies.

LOL, sure Rod, just this once though. Larry, my daughter pointed out that shockingly, the apple tree in the yard still has some good looking flowers, we may luck out.... Not good weather to finish planting corn in though. I'm a little worried about 54# wheat now too Jim.

For the most part yes. The moisture that feeds these storms comes up out of the Gulf and sometimes the storms themselves come up out of Texas and just truck on. That warm moist air hits a cold front coming off the Rockies and whamo, you got drama.

It's rained every day except for the last couple and it's started again today. It won't take much to get major flooding as the ground is totally saturated. I think we had storms for 6 days straight and they were nasty, 2" rainfall per hour and 10MPH (and under) storm movement, tornados, lightning, they brought it all. We need the water but dang...

Steve Rozmiarek
05-19-2015, 9:44 PM
It's doing it again, and it's not funny anymore Mrs. Nature...

This afternoon at work. I'm supposed to be watching corn grow by now, not waiting for the snow to melt to plant it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fyiOthY-viA/VVuv8Z5LzLI/AAAAAAAAKt4/otRPKyA8v0Y/w487-h865-no/20150519_154901.jpg

Rick Potter
05-20-2015, 2:06 AM
My little semi dwarf apple tree is sure ahead of season. It has well over a hundred apples on it, some of which are already over 2" across. It is a weird tree, and produces two crops a year, and once tried for three. Apricots are half grown too.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-20-2015, 8:36 AM
That is an odd tree Rick, I didn't know any did multiple crops. What kind of apples?

Erik Loza
05-21-2015, 12:34 AM
Apparently, El Nino is going to give us the mildest, wettest summer since 2007. And boy does Texas need that. It has thundershowered every day for the last 2 weeks. Cannot remember a time like that. Take all we can get.

Erik

Rick Potter
05-21-2015, 1:42 AM
Steve,

I think they are called Anna apples, but I will have to ask the wife tomorrow. It is a semi-dwarf tree in our back yard, about 7-8' tall. I tried to post a pic, but it didn't work.