PDA

View Full Version : Time for new cordless drills.

Dave Cav
05-10-2015, 2:36 PM
I think it's finally time to replace a couple of my old NiCad DeWalt cordless drills. The 9.6 and 14 volt drill drivers are on their second sets of batteries and now they are dieing, too. Time for a new Li Ion. Or two.

I have been looking at the DeWalt DCD771C2, the DeWalt DCD780C2 and the BoschDDB181-02. Any other options? I want to stay away from Porter Cable because their recent stuff seems to have a very bad reputation, although their older stuff was pretty good (we have four older PC cordless drills at school that the students haven't been able to kill yet).

The Bosch is the least expensive, but I have no experience with their cordless tools. Their older corded tools were great, but I don't know about the new ones.

The two DeWalts have similar specs but the 780 is supposed to be more "industrial". Is there $50 worth of difference between them?

These are used for mostly making furniture, not contractor-type of work day in and day out. However, I will be using them on a regular, sometimes daily basis, not once a month.

Chris Harry
05-10-2015, 2:43 PM
Might also serve you well to check out the 12V offerings.

I bought into 12V and 18V milwaukee stuff, and the 12V brushed drill is the tool thats seen the most use. 18/20V not really required to pre-drill for finish nails, pre-drill holes for lag screws, etc.

glenn bradley
05-10-2015, 2:50 PM
Any other options?

Think what you will about the Ridgid offering at Home Depot but, I have been running their small form factor 12v Lithium (http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-3-8-in-Cordless-2-Speed-Drill-Kit-R82005K/205754094?N=5yc1vZc298Z18gZ12l2) since 2009. The original pair I got came in a 2 pack. They worked out so well I picked up a couple of the newer version which have 2 speed ranges. I was after a compact, well balanced drill with enough power for furniture making in my shop on a daily basis. All four are still running like new and I haven't bought a battery since thanks to the LSA. I do have a Makita 18v pair for heavy work but, rarely use them in the shop.

jack duren
05-10-2015, 4:45 PM
I think it's finally time to replace a couple of my old NiCad DeWalt cordless drills. The 9.6 and 14 volt drill drivers are on their second sets of batteries and now they are dieing, too. Time for a new Li Ion. Or two.

I have been looking at the DeWalt DCD771C2, the DeWalt DCD780C2 and the BoschDDB181-02. Any other options? I want to stay away from Porter Cable because their recent stuff seems to have a very bad reputation, although their older stuff was pretty good (we have four older PC cordless drills at school that the students haven't been able to kill yet).

The Bosch is the least expensive, but I have no experience with their cordless tools. Their older corded tools were great, but I don't know about the new ones.

The two DeWalts have similar specs but the 780 is supposed to be more "industrial". Is there $50 worth of difference between them?

These are used for mostly making furniture, not contractor-type of work day in and day out. However, I will be using them on a regular, sometimes daily basis, not once a month.

Had the same problem with my two Dewalt 12v xrp guns. After debating for awhile and looking at the new guns I decided to buy a new battery. New looks cool, but old works like new and gets the job done.

Cody Pierce
05-11-2015, 1:07 AM
I have the Dewalt 12v drill/impact driver combo. It'll handle nearly all of my projects. Anything big I can used my 18v Dewalt Nicad or my corded beast. I'd say they handle 90%+ of what I need. They are tiny and can dangle from a belt or pocket and be carried around with ease. Easily one of my best purchases as of late.

John Lankers
05-11-2015, 1:42 AM
I had to replace my DeWalt (motor burned out or gears stripped and batteries) at least every 2 years until I invested in a 18 Volt Lithium Milwaukee set in 2007 and now I also have many 12 Volt Milwaukee tools, I don't even look at other brands anymore. The 12 Volt tools have gotten so powerful I use them now more than the 18 Volt. Never had one fail yet and still have all the original batteries.
Just my personal experience.
John

Mike Henderson
05-11-2015, 3:37 AM
I went with the 12V Li ion tools mainly because they're much lighter than the NiCad tools. They're not as powerful as the 20V tools but for furniture work they're more than sufficient.

Mike

Jim Matthews
05-11-2015, 6:56 AM
I bought the Makita 18V set, years ago.

The cost is in the batteries.
My set came with two batteries for both
the impact driver and standard drill motor.

The same batteries fit a cordless Jig saw that pulls crosscut duty in my basement shop.

Perhaps I don't use them much, but the deep cycle charger has kept the batteries
functioning well for more than three years.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/makita/cordless-tools/cordless-impact-drivers/

Jim Dwight
05-11-2015, 9:09 AM
I had a DeWalt 9.6V and used it through 2 sets of batteries. I switched to Ryobi 18V and it's gotten new life with lithium ion batteries. I don't really see a quality difference versus the DeWalt although I did break one drilling 2 1/8 holes for locksets in solid doors. My conclusion was that I should have used a corded drill. Although a drill without batteries is under $50 - so not huge deal to buy one occasionally. I also have the 18 gauge brad nailer, circular saw, reciprocating saw, and jigsaw.

Bill White
05-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Check out Makita 18 volt Lithium ion.
Bill

peter gagliardi
05-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Gonna get lots of opinions I'm sure. Mine is simple- dollar for dollar, when battery life is the most important, you simply cannot buy a better machine than the Panasonic brand. I have some of their NiMHi batteries that are 15+ years old. They have the best batteries and battery technology . Period.
I have owned Panasonic, porter cable, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, Festool, even Milwaukee so I have a bit of experience with most of the major players. Makita batteries are the worst, followed closely by porter cable.
The Festool is the most refined machine out there, but lacks for ultimate torque compared to others.

John Sanford
05-11-2015, 6:33 PM
Given your usage, and apparent satisfaction with your existing NiCads, I'd suggest you go with either the Milwaukee 12v Fuel platform, or the Bosch 12v EC platform. Both are brushless, both will have equivalent/better power than your 14.4 NiCad, and both are much smaller/lighter. The Milwaukee has the advantage of a much wider range of tools currently available, and you can mosey over to your local Home Depot to get them.

The Bosch EC (i.e. brushless) 12v is not currently, to my knowledge, available in store at any of the big box outfits. Nor do they have as extensive of a lineup as Milwaukee, although they are adding to it as time passes. I have the Bosch platform, and have been happy with it, but have not moved to brushless in the 12v yet. The current $20 off $100 or more on selected Bosch cordless tools, which includes the PS32 (i.e. brushless 12v 3/8" drill/driver) may induce me to do so now.

If you decide to go with 18v, then rather than the one's you've listed, look at the DeWalt DCD790D2. I just purchased one 2 weeks ago from Home Depot Lowes had them for $199, Home Depot had 'em for $219, so I beat them on with their price guarantee and walked out with it for $179 + tax. It is brushless, so longer run time compared to brushed, it is compact, meaning it will be lighter and physically smaller than your existing 14.4 NiCad, and probably lighter than your 9.6 even.

Seriously consider going with a combo kit, the impact drivers are da bomb for driving screws.

Note: in the last year I have purchased 3 DeWalt Drills, 1 Milwaukee Drill, 1 DeWalt Impact Driver and 1 Milwaukee Impact Driver. All have been 18v, all the DeWalts have been brushless.

Ken Kortge
05-11-2015, 9:29 PM
I have the Bosch CLPK232-181 18 Volt Litheon Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Combo set, and I also have the Bosch PS20-2A 12 Volt Max Pocket Driver. I also have an older Makita 6213D 12 Volt Cordless Drill Driver that rides in my RV these days.

The The 12 volt Bosch is a small powerhouse. The model I have is a driver - not a drill, nor an impact driver. I got it primarily for driving Kreg screws in pocket holes, so I wanted the 1/4" connector and the clutch. I'm sure its related drill and impact driver are just as impressive. If you're building a deck then maybe the 18 volt big brothers are better suited to the needs.

I've really have been liking Bosch tools lately. Quite the convert. The only problem I've had with the Makita is that new Makita batteries are very hard to insert and remove - odd. Other than that its been rock solid.

BTW, if you haven't used an impact driver you're really missed something, but they're more for driving (long/big) screws than drilling holes, and not the best thing for use with pocket screws (clutch preferred).

While there is a recent trend toward brushless motors I have yet to replace a brush on my tools. Not sure if that's due to my lack of use or because it takes a long long time before the brushes require replacement. For me this is a non-issue.

To be honest, I think you'd do fine with about any of the big name drill/drivers (red, yellow, blue, green, orange, ...). The differences tend to come in the cordless saws and other cordless tools. If you're going to buy other battery operated tools, then consider the desirability of those tools first - before the drill/driver. If you don't use cordless other than the drill/driver - and I could understand that approach, then find a big name drill/driver at a good price and enjoy it.

Earl Rumans
05-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Milwaukee Fuel M12, that's all you really need to look at. The Milwaukee lineup offers just about everything you could ask for and the new Fuel brushless tools are amazing. You should check them out.

Evan Patton
05-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Think what you will about the Ridgid offering at Home Depot but, I have been running their small form factor 12v Lithium (http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-3-8-in-Cordless-2-Speed-Drill-Kit-R82005K/205754094?N=5yc1vZc298Z18gZ12l2) since 2009. The original pair I got came in a 2 pack. They worked out so well I picked up a couple of the newer version which have 2 speed ranges. I was after a compact, well balanced drill with enough power for furniture making in my shop on a daily basis. All four are still running like new and I haven't bought a battery since thanks to the LSA. I do have a Makita 18v pair for heavy work but, rarely use them in the shop.
i have an 18V Ridgid and I love it. Gonna get a second one for my garage.

Gary Yoder
05-15-2015, 6:25 AM
I have a ridgid drill/impact set.... wish I hadn't went that route.. too many little issues. At work we have some Milwaukee fuel drivers, and they are a definite upgrade from the ridgid. I don't know how the milwaukee compares to other brands but they turned me away from my ridgid!

Mike Null
05-15-2015, 6:59 AM
I replaced my Dewalt 18v a few months ago. There was a deal on a Bosch lithium. I liked it because it was so much lighter than my Dewalt but from a feel and sound perspective the Dewalt is the better tool. I also do not like the chuck on the Bosch. I couldn't find a model number but it is the compact 18v.

Nick Coffelt
05-15-2015, 10:44 AM
I went from Dewalts to Milkwaukees a while back. Love the battery life, and all around power of the drills and drivers. They are rugged but also are good for the finesse work.

That would be my recommendation.

James Gunning
05-15-2015, 11:16 AM
I would recommend that whatever you get, get a brushless model with Lithium-Ion batteries. I had to replace an impact driver and bought a Dewalt DCF895. I have never been happier with how a tool performs. It came with the 1.5 AH batteries, but considering how incredibly long they last, I can't imagine needing the larger ones. The charging time is very short as well. The driver is small and very lightweight. I also have an older Ni-Cad battery 18 volt Dewalt drill. It works great, but its size and weight are so much worse than the Li-Ion 20 volt driver. I would buy the DCD790D2 if I were buying a drill/driver today.

Yonak Hawkins
05-15-2015, 12:48 PM
The most recent ones I have bought are Bosch and Ridgid. They both work well and have plenty of power and battery life. The battery is sometimes a pain to remove on the Ridgid, but the best thing about it is the lifetime warranty, even on batteries.

Alan Lightstone
05-15-2015, 3:37 PM
I have a variety of Festools which work great, but clearly aren't cheap.

The beast I own is a 36V Makita. Weighs a ton (even with the smaller battery pack), but out-powers everything I own, including the Festool PDC 18/4 Hammer Drill which they don't sell in the US (but is great). As opposed to the Milwaukees I have bought (and who go through batteries way too quickly), I'm still on my first set of batteries with the Makita. Just can't kill that drill.

Sam Murdoch
05-15-2015, 4:06 PM
Milwaukeee Fuels series - excellent tools and excellent customer service. If you have any issues (I had a battery that wouldn't hold the charge) you can go online and set up a repair work order send it to Milwaukee for free and if still under warranty you'll have your tool or part back within 2 weeks no charge.

I own the 2653-22 1/4" Impact Driver and the 2604-22 1/2" Hammer drill/driver kit. The hammer drill is a bit heavier than I would prefer but in the 2 or 3 times (in 2 years) that I have needed the hammer option I was certainly glad to have it. The 18 volt lithium batteries are interchangeable and can be used with other tools that are available - body only. Also, Milwaukee frequently has trade in deals - you bring in your old battery tool and they "give" you a $ 100.00 towards the purchase of the new tool.

I highly recommend!

PS - Read the model #s carefully - there are lotssssss of models and you need to pay attention to not buy the wrong version.

Victor Robinson
05-15-2015, 7:51 PM
I have a Milwaukee M18 set that I got just as the Fuel brushless models were coming out and were a bit too pricey. I've been quite pleased, and have since bought into quite a bit of M18 and M12 tools.

Dave Cav
05-15-2015, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. However, I cheaped out at the last minute and found some batteries on Ebay that were quite a bit less than the last new set I bought on Amazon, and seem to work fine so far. I got two 9.6 and 1 14 volt and so far am in for less than half of what the least expensive (Bosch) Li Ion driver I was considering cost. If I get a couple more years out of them I'll be happy and then maybe will upgrade.