PDA

View Full Version : Mortar and Pestle

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Just a job we engraved recently. It was made from Olive (we didn't make it), it was imported from Tunisia. The photo's not the best, the text is very small, and in resizing the photo to upload here, it looks like we're losing some of that detail, but it was nice and sharp on the actual piece. It was a little bit of a head scratcher to figure out how to hold it, but it all worked out in the end.

Mike Null
05-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Very good looking work.

Samuel Espy
05-10-2015, 2:13 PM
Very nice Scott. Did the engraving on Olive wood come out naturally with that wonderful contrast (black engraved area), or is that some type of colorfill?

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 2:24 PM
Thanks Guys!

Samuel, that's color filled. The olive burned with almost no contrast at all, and I had no samples to use for settings, and only had one shot at it, so I went with color filling.

I used two different lenses, the 2" for the logo and the 4" for the VCU part, because the VCU part was really rolling off a lot at the bottom and sides, more than I was comfortable with using the 2" lens.

Bert Kemp
05-10-2015, 3:07 PM
Nice Job Scott, I like that pot and pestle

Samuel Espy
05-10-2015, 3:19 PM
Thanks Scott. I figured it might be color filled, but was hoping maybe you had found another wood with an extremely dark burn and good contrast. What type of color fill if I may ask. It looks great from the photo.

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 3:32 PM
It's Ronan Aquacote black.

Bert Kemp
05-10-2015, 4:41 PM
They don't give that stuff away do they lol

It's Ronan Aquacote black.

Kev Williams
05-10-2015, 5:34 PM
It was a little bit of a head scratcher to figure out how to hold it, but it all worked out in the end.

That's what towels are for ;) -Nice job!

My head-scratcher is laser etching the fenders of horse saddles. And the fenders don't come off the saddles!

I probably tell 3 people a week that holding what I'm engraving can be the toughest part OF engraving...

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 6:19 PM
That's what towels are for ;)

Hadn't thought of towels, that's a good idea. I use clay in a plastic bag. I bought a couple packs of modeling clay and I opened them and dropped them into a 1 gallon ziplock bag. I just squish it up into a fat mound and then squish the part down into it and it forms a perfect mate :)