PDA

View Full Version : Check it out.

Jay Selway
05-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Check it out. Just wrapped up a walnut business card holder for my buddy Colin Tierny. How sick is his ‪ (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/logo?source=feed_text)logo? I hand finished this with coconut oil, doing an oil sand from 300 grit all the way to 2000 grit. Then I coated it with 4 layers wax for a silky smooth touch. Just the right amount of luster in the finish. What do you guys think?

Scott Marquez
05-10-2015, 1:55 AM
Wow, very classy your workmanship is outstanding.
Scott

Patrick Smithwick
05-10-2015, 9:04 AM
Looks real nice! hardwoods have such a classy look when engraved!

Jay Selway
05-10-2015, 9:33 AM
Thanks guys!

Michele Welch
05-10-2015, 4:17 PM
This is beautiful Jay!!! Can you give me (us) a run down on using Coconut Oil as a finish? I've never heard of it before?? Also, I'm assuming you used 1/8" Walnut? Great job and you're right, that logo is awesome. Sometimes simple is the most strikingly awesome.

Jay Selway
05-10-2015, 8:06 PM
This is beautiful Jay!!! Can you give me (us) a run down on using Coconut Oil as a finish? I've never heard of it before?? Also, I'm assuming you used 1/8" Walnut? Great job and you're right, that logo is awesome. Sometimes simple is the most strikingly awesome.

So I got the tip on using coconut oil from a buddy of mine that does a bunch of industrial / reclaimed work. Linseed oil tends to have a bit more shine to it, but if you want something that looks as rich as BLO, but not quite as shiny, give coconut oil a try. It's super easy to work with.

So basically, I sand 120,220,300,400 as normal. Then when I go up to 600, I take a little cup (about a spoonful) of coconut oil, and rub it on the wood with my finger. It should melt pretty quickly. As soon as it melts, start sanding the oil into the finish in a circular pattern. Keep going until it starts to really smooth out and dry a bit (creating a bit of a slurry). Then, I go with the grain for about 20 seconds, and move onto another face of the box. When I'm done with all 4 sides, I get a clean cotton rag, and wipe off all the excess oil.

Then, I set it aside for about 5-10 minutes to let the oil soak in a bit and get the grain up a bit.

Then I move onto 800 grit using the same process. Repeat all the way up to 2000 grit, and by the time your done, you should have a glass smooth finish with a deep warm tone. It won't have as much lustre as boiled linseed oil, but that was the effect I was going for. I wanted something really matte.

When finished, I then put on 4 coats of finishing wax buffing aggressively in between (my buffing wheel broke yesterday).

Boom done.

Michele Welch
05-10-2015, 11:16 PM
So I got the tip on using coconut oil from a buddy of mine that does a bunch of industrial / reclaimed work. Linseed oil tends to have a bit more shine to it, but if you want something that looks as rich as BLO, but not quite as shiny, give coconut oil a try. It's super easy to work with.

So basically, I sand 120,220,300,400 as normal. Then when I go up to 600, I take a little cup (about a spoonful) of coconut oil, and rub it on the wood with my finger. It should melt pretty quickly. As soon as it melts, start sanding the oil into the finish in a circular pattern. Keep going until it starts to really smooth out and dry a bit (creating a bit of a slurry). Then, I go with the grain for about 20 seconds, and move onto another face of the box. When I'm done with all 4 sides, I get a clean cotton rag, and wipe off all the excess oil.

Then, I set it aside for about 5-10 minutes to let the oil soak in a bit and get the grain up a bit.

Then I move onto 800 grit using the same process. Repeat all the way up to 2000 grit, and by the time your done, you should have a glass smooth finish with a deep warm tone. It won't have as much lustre as boiled linseed oil, but that was the effect I was going for. I wanted something really matte.

When finished, I then put on 4 coats of finishing wax buffing aggressively in between (my buffing wheel broke yesterday).

Boom done.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work, but worth it for the outcome. So a few more questions... where do you buy your coconut oil? I've got some from the grocery store oil aisle, would that work or is there a special kind for this? Is this type of oil ok for any wood, or just specific ones? I know these are kind of dumb questions, but you don't know unless you ask, right?!?

Also, is this 1/8" walnut and was it all cut on the laser?