PDA

View Full Version : Incra Miter Express - which miter slot to use?

Frederick Skelly
05-09-2015, 8:22 PM
Hi guys,
Finally getting around to setting up the one I got a few months ago. I'm trying to decide whether to set it up to cut left of the blade or right of it.

I'm using an old delta contractor saw that tilts to the right. Incra's instructions say something soft like "most people will set up to use the left miter slot (miter gauge left of the blade) on a right tilt saw." Their wording implies to me there may be valid reasons to set it up to the right of the blade (use the right miter slot). Does anyone know of any?

My saw has 20" left of the blade and about 54" to the right (Biesemeyer fence with extension table). I normally crosscut material using the left slot. I'm inclined to follow the instructions, but wanted to ask if anyone had better knowledge/experience here.

Thanks folks!
Fred

Scott Hearn
05-10-2015, 1:27 AM
Tagged.

I have a right tilt Unisaw and am probably going to get one of these to add to my 1000SE. I have it setup on the left slot because it's long fence just seems to work better there. I could always reverse it, but it will take some getting used to.

Michelle Rich
05-10-2015, 6:13 AM
I believe it is a matter of comfort of use. right handed? left handed?

Mike Heidrick
05-10-2015, 6:31 AM
Id go left. The angled blade cuts would not be pinched, you can get the fence closer to the blade, and I think for me it would be easier to setup the measurements on angled cuts.

J. Greg Jones
05-10-2015, 8:02 AM
If you will ever make beveled cuts, you want the Miter Express on the left for a right-tilt saw. If you have it in the right slot and tilt the blade right, the cut will also bevel the Miter Express board.

Frederick Skelly
05-10-2015, 9:45 AM
Thank you folks. Left it shall be!
Fred