PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Leach's May Tool List

Kent A Bathurst
05-09-2015, 4:23 PM
OK - who is gonna step up and buy the Bailey jack plane? :eek:

I really like # MS176 - the gun metal shouldering plane.......that is just too cool.

Rich Riddle
05-09-2015, 7:48 PM
Apparently you have to sign up to get the list. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Is the one you like expensive?

Kent A Bathurst
05-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Apparently you have to sign up to get the list. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Is the one you like expensive?

Patrick is the preeminent authority on All Things Stanley, plus anything of a related nature.

Expensive? Depends on your definition - - -if you are a well-heeled collector of rare tools, then - - nah - not bad at all. ;)

Plus - his focus is garden-variety reasonable-cost items. He throws some expensive stuff in, and some rare collectors stuff in. This time, especially as you get near the end, he has a number of stunning collector's items on offer.

The Bailey is the first item on offer. The one I like is some scroll work down.

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/listm2015.html

Moses Yoder
05-10-2015, 5:54 AM
It has been a long time since I read through his list, maybe 10 years. It is as interesting now as it was then. Thanks for posting; I am signing up for it. Doesn't mean I am buying any tools.

Rich Riddle
05-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Interesting read. He seems to charge a high premium for knowing a lot about the tools. One can find identical or better tools for less money here and a lot of other places. He seems to purchase tools at low prices. Selling high and buying low is a good gig if you can acquire a following. Good quick read though.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Oh yeah, that Bailey is pretty cool. First one I've ever seen go in a public format. Probably would have thought about it back in the day, but not these days. Lee richmond just listed a few gunmetal goodies on the best things too. Fun to see that stuff.

Jim Koepke
05-10-2015, 1:10 PM
Interesting read. He seems to charge a high premium for knowing a lot about the tools. One can find identical or better tools for less money here and a lot of other places. He seems to purchase tools at low prices. Selling high and buying low is a good gig if you can acquire a following. Good quick read though.

Patrick Leach makes his living with his knowledge, ability to find tools and standing behind what he sells. I haven't bought anything from him, but I sure have learned a lot from him.

Searching for tools can be a side sport for some of us. When venturing out with my wife, we often make some side stops at junk stores, antique shops, yard sales and what ever catches our interest.

For folks who do this for a living, the rest of life is the side sport.

Yes, we can go out and find the same deals as Mr. Leach. Our other option is to let him and others do the hunting and pay them for the service.

BTW, one of my monthly pleasures is receiving the monthly tool list. Currently my target of desire is hollow & round planes. There weren't any listed this month. So far my luck has been good. There is actually only one size H & R pair needed to complete a short set. Then it will be on to getting better at using them.

jtk

Jeff Bartley
05-11-2015, 9:21 PM
That's the first Bailey I've seen offered too. Really an amazing collectors plane!
I've sent Patrick a couple checks over the years and have been pleased as pie with every package. He really does a solid job with all aspects of the service. And not everything is high dollar: I bought a framing chisel a couple years ago for a great price and after evaporust and a sharpen it's my go-to big chisel now.
I usually stop whatever I'm doing (when possible) when that email hits, I enjoy it even when I'm not looking for something!

Paul McGaha
05-12-2015, 7:09 AM
Patrick Leach makes his living with his knowledge, ability to find tools and standing behind what he sells. I haven't bought anything from him, but I sure have learned a lot from him.

Searching for tools can be a side sport for some of us. When venturing out with my wife, we often make some side stops at junk stores, antique shops, yard sales and what ever catches our interest.

For folks who do this for a living, the rest of life is the side sport.

Yes, we can go out and find the same deals as Mr. Leach. Our other option is to let him and others do the hunting and pay them for the service.

BTW, one of my monthly pleasures is receiving the monthly tool list. Currently my target of desire is hollow & round planes. There weren't any listed this month. So far my luck has been good. There is actually only one size H & R pair needed to complete a short set. Then it will be on to getting better at using them.

jtk

i agree with you Jim. I think he's fair with his pricing and accurate with his opinions on the tools.

PHM

Steve Rozmiarek
05-12-2015, 8:13 AM
i agree with you Jim. I think he's fair with his pricing and accurate with his opinions on the tools.

PHM

Me too. I seem to have bought a large portion of my old chisels from him. A set of Bergs and a set of incannal gouges. I wanted users, so they were affordable.

lowell holmes
06-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Is Patrick Leach still around? Just wondering.

Michael J Evans
06-06-2017, 8:12 PM
I just received the monthly list.

TODD RAYMER
05-01-2019, 1:09 PM
I always got the tool list from him. One month I was going to buy a set of hollow and rounds from him, asked him a question on shipping , got the response told him I would get back to him but I had another guy that had a set was thinking about. He must not of like the idea I was looking some where else and sent a snotty response that they would not be as good as his. Every since that day he must have taken me off his list because I no longer get the tool list.

Jim Koepke
05-01-2019, 1:29 PM

If you enjoy learning about tools and their history Patrick Leach's for sale list is a must read.

His photography of tools is worth the time spent drooling on your keyboard.

jtk

Doug Dawson
05-01-2019, 1:41 PM
I always got the tool list from him. One month I was going to buy a set of hollow and rounds from him, asked him a question on shipping , got the response told him I would get back to him but I had another guy that had a set was thinking about. He must not of like the idea I was looking some where else and sent a snotty response that they would not be as good as his. Every since that day he must have taken me off his list because I no longer get the tool list.

Didn't you post about this before, a few months ago? Why dredge up an ancient thread just to bash Patrick again? Please let it go. :-(

Jim Koepke
05-01-2019, 1:42 PM
Amazing, an old post has caught me not checking the first post date.

This piqued my brain:

got the response told him I would get back to him

In the monthly tool list Mr. Leach kind of states his feeling about people who say they will get back to him. Is he supposed to hold an item for everyone who says they will get back to him?

In my experience, two or three people a day at the farmers market told me they would get back to me later for an item. One time a person actually did come back. He was upset that someone else came and shoved $250 dollars in my hand and went away with a potting bench. To many people making a living in sales, "I'll get back to you," is a polite way of saying, "no sale."

jtk

Matt Day
05-01-2019, 2:45 PM
Didn't you post about this before, a few months ago? Why dredge up an ancient thread just to bash Patrick again? Please let it go. :-(

Agreed

———-

Jeff Bartley
05-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Speaking of the list: has it gone out yet this month? (May 2019)

Matt Day
05-02-2019, 10:53 PM
I haven’t seen it yet, but he’s regularly a few days past the first of the month.