PDA

View Full Version : New gouge??

robert baccus
05-09-2015, 4:49 AM
I have been unable to locate a 1" roughing gouge in the powder steel(5-10% vanadium) grade. My present gouge of unknown breeding simply will not hold an edge and I sure need one. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Thom Sturgill
05-09-2015, 8:24 AM
Doug Thompson sells a 1 1/4" SRG while the Crown Pro-PM is 3/4" as is the D-Way M42 SRG. Carter and Sons sells a 7/8" M42 SRG.

The SRG is measured outside to opposite inside, if I recall correctly, so 7/8" would be 1" outside diameter.

M42 is not High Vanadium - it runs about 1%. It is Molybdenum with Cobalt added. In practice my D-Ways seem to take and hold as good or better edge than the Thompsons do . Both are crucible or powdered metal alloys and are typically tempered with multiple cryogenic treatments.

Glaser-Hitek makes a V10 1" spindle gouge, but the picture looks more like a European gouge than a SRG.

Reed Gray
05-09-2015, 12:48 PM
I would look to Thompson or D Way. Both are excellent. By roughing gouge, are you talking bowls or spindles? There are differences. There are a few 1 inch bowl gouges, but I prefer a scraper.

robo hippy

Geoff Whaling
05-09-2015, 4:06 PM
I have been unable to locate a 1" roughing gouge in the powder steel(5-10% vanadium) grade. My present gouge of unknown breeding simply will not hold an edge and I sure need one. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Why PM? I assume its a spindle roughing gouge you require?

Look out for a P&N roughing gouge, probably one of the strongest on the market. I love my 1" P&N spindle roughing gouge. They are manufactured with a solid 5/8" (??) round "tang", far stronger than forged SRG's. Not sure if you can get them where you are but try this Aussie supplier - very good trustworthy owners. Oh the P&N SRG also comes in 25mm (1") and 32 mm ( almost1 3/8").

http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/-pn-roughing-gouges

Thom Sturgill
05-09-2015, 4:48 PM
Packard sells P&N in this country, and carries the SRG. I have a P&N detail gouge and it is one of my go-to tools.

robert baccus
05-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm actually looking for the old fashioned roughing out gouge. It's become one of my favorite tools when ground flat like a bottom feeder on bowl outsides and especially on vase shapes. Does not grab period and makes a good hog and finish cut as well.. I'm weary having to sharpen my m2 gouge every 5 minutes. Had a cutoff tool bite me yesterday. 10 stiches--just tired and a dumbass hurry did it. Matches the older stiches nicely.

Geoff Whaling
05-10-2015, 2:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm actually looking for the old fashioned roughing out gouge. It's become one of my favorite tools when ground flat like a bottom feeder on bowl outsides and especially on vase shapes. Does not grab period and makes a good hog and finish cut as well.. I'm weary having to sharpen my m2 gouge every 5 minutes. Had a cutoff tool bite me yesterday. 10 stiches--just tired and a dumbass hurry did it. Matches the older stiches nicely.

Sounds like you should take up fishing :-)