PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the Trigger

Mark Blatter
05-09-2015, 12:28 AM
Well, after a few years saving up and anticipation, I pulled the trigger on Tuesday and bought a Sawstop, the PCS 3 hp single phase. I would have really like to have gotten the ICS 5 hp, but didn't want to wait another year or two. I sold my Unisaw left tilt for $1200, which is only $500 less than what I paid for it ten years ago. Still in great shape though. I find I can really identify with this quote;

"RED: I find I'm so excited that I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at a start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope."

OK, perhaps a bit corny, but with the saw due to be delivered tomorrow morning, I am a bit excited. Promised my wife I would redo the top to her dresser that was damaged when a board fell on it and broke the edge/corner as the first project on it. Then I hope to start on two Morris Chairs I had to put on the back burner.

tom blankenship
05-09-2015, 12:55 AM
Congratulations Mark,

I also aspire to obtain a PCS Sawstop. I hope you will tell us about your experience with receiving it and it's setup and performance. While the saw has a fine reputation, I hope to learn that it is still the saw it is expected to be.

Have fun,

tom

Rick Potter
05-09-2015, 3:40 AM
I think you will like it, I got mine a year or so ago, and it is a very nice saw.

Congrats.

David Ragan
05-09-2015, 4:41 AM
I am so glad to hear about the excellent reputation of SS. Mine has been a dream. Had a Craftsman before (that is a whole nother meeting). The service has been great over the years. Havent needed much, just when they changed something to do with the electronics a few years ago, required a couple hours work and a new belt/brake cartridges.

My fence dished a little, and they sent another face, no questions/hassles, etc.

Sent my another little (5 cent) plastic fence runner thing recently.

Always available, and nice.

A saw designed by a guy w PhD in physics has got to be good. that was the second reason I bought it.

John Donhowe
05-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Congrats on the saw. I'm certain you'll find your enjoyment begins when you open the box. Last fall I was able to help my son assemble his 1.75 hp PCS. Parts are well laid out, fit is spot on and assembly instructions far beyond those of any other tool I've seen. It was such a pleasure to assemble that it brought back memories of building a complex Lego set with my son years ago on Christmas morning. Enjoy!

Jebediah Eckert
05-09-2015, 1:03 PM
"RED: I find I'm so excited that I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at a start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope."

:D MOderators please mark this as the first post ever, anywhere, using a quote from the Shawshank Redemption to describe buying a new SawStop

Rod Sheridan
05-09-2015, 1:21 PM
Congratulations Mark, hope you enjoy your new machine...........Regards, Rod.

Mark Blatter
05-09-2015, 4:45 PM
Well my new saw was delivered this morning. Had the place cleaned up and time set aside for the unpack and set up. When the pieces were unloaded there was a slight issue. One of the boxes, the one with the fence, was almost broken in two. The delivery company proved to be difficult and unhelpful, so rather than take a chance, I refused the shipment.

Back to the drawing board. Amazon was good about refunding the purchase price, but still leave a bad taste in my mouth. I think I will now buy it from the local Woodcraft store. The price is the same, but it is more of a hassle as they are about 60 miles away.

Mike Heidrick
05-09-2015, 4:53 PM
Who let Chuck Norris ship your SS fence!

Should have placed a SS call and an amazon call. Amazon to discount your saw for the hassle and SS for immediate fixing of the issue!

Nick Stokes
05-09-2015, 5:17 PM
Wow that's a bummer... I'm not sure I would have had the discipline to send it back, even though that's probably the right choice.

Kent A Bathurst
05-09-2015, 5:18 PM
......but it is more of a hassle...........

Not to be a wise guy, Mark, but: As compared to what? The convenience of having it delivered?

I sympathize with you - this should not have happened, and I bet it rarely does happen. But - it was, apparently, your turn in the barrel. It happens.

Me - given the same circumstances - I would jump at the chance for the 60-mile-drive hassle. But then, you could give it another ride via Amazon - maybe get them to manage the shipping through a different carrier?

You won't even remember this a couple years and a few Morris chairs down the road.

Press on regardless.

Keith Hankins
05-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Congrats I saved a long time myself before I got my SS too. You will love it and the quality is top notch. Be sure and post some pics and do a review!

Harold Burrell
05-10-2015, 6:41 AM

Kent...you did this, didn't you?

Kent A Bathurst
05-10-2015, 5:57 PM
Kent...you did this, didn't you?

Harold, Harold, Harold...........you know better.

Just because I don't like tea, and would never buy tea, doesn't mean I would kick the next man's tea into the ocean, dig?

Mark Blatter
05-10-2015, 6:16 PM
Not to be a wise guy, Mark, but: As compared to what? The convenience of having it delivered?

I sympathize with you - this should not have happened, and I bet it rarely does happen. But - it was, apparently, your turn in the barrel. It happens.

Me - given the same circumstances - I would jump at the chance for the 60-mile-drive hassle. But then, you could give it another ride via Amazon - maybe get them to manage the shipping through a different carrier?

You won't even remember this a couple years and a few Morris chairs down the road.

Press on regardless.

Yes, as compared to having it delivered on a Sat morning. As it is, I will stop in to Woodcraft tomorrow and see if they have one on hand. Chances are about 60% from what they have told me in the past. If so, I will buy and pick it up and take it home. If not, I will figure out what direction to go then.

As you say, Kent, this isn't really that big of deal. Frustrating yes, but in the end, not a life changing event. Frankly in a month or two, will be something to laugh about.

Kent A Bathurst
05-10-2015, 6:28 PM
Yes, as compared to having it delivered on a Sat morning. As it is, I will stop in to Woodcraft tomorrow and see if they have one on hand. Chances are about 60% from what they have told me in the past. If so, I will buy and pick it up and take it home. If not, I will figure out what direction to go then.

As you say, Kent, this isn't really that big of deal. Frustrating yes, but in the end, not a life changing event. Frankly in a month or two, will be something to laugh about.

You'll be fine, in the end, Mark. One plus on in-store....if you have the tools to take with you, you can have them pop the box and check the blade alignment right then and there..............Avoid that hassle.......

Harold Burrell
05-10-2015, 7:45 PM
Harold, Harold, Harold...........you know better.

Just because I don't like tea, and would never buy tea, doesn't mean I would kick the next man's tea into the ocean, dig?

Oh, no! Not physically...or even intentionally. I'm thinking more metaphysically. You know...like the whole karma thing.

Kent A Bathurst
05-10-2015, 9:11 PM
You know...like the whole karma thing.

Karma, dude. Far out. Groovy.

Peace.

Mark Blatter
05-11-2015, 5:47 PM
Update;

So I stopped in at one of the locations locally that carries Sawstop. The bad news was they had just sold the last one they had on hand. The good news was that they had a floor model that had never been plugged in they were willing to sell me....and since it was a floor model they were able to negotiate a bit. Of course, by taking the floor model, I gave up half of the warranty. so I suppose it wasn't really a better price, but on where I sold back half of the warranty. Time will tell if I come out ahead or not, but it left a fair bit in my pocket, plus I got the dust collector and mobile base included. I also don't have to assemble it, dispose of the packaging, etc. I pick up the saw tomorrow since I was driving my Toyota Corolla. I have fit lots of stuff into my car, like 250 bd ft of lumber, etc, but no way that saw was going to fit.

Kent A Bathurst
05-11-2015, 5:49 PM
Mark - good news.

For a solid brand/machine like the hot-dog eater, I would not think twice about a reduced wtty - IMO the odds of you needing that are very slim.