PDA

View Full Version : Juust bought a General 250??? cabinet saw. Have questions.

Dick Brown
05-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Went to a yard sale today and what do you know! A General right tilt cabinet saw, two h.p. Rockwell motor and 52" Biesemeyer fence followed me home. Couldn't find a model no. but looked on OWWM and I think it must be a 250. Has the old grey speckled paint. Trunnions are mounted to the top rather than the cabinet. Has a bolt together cabinet rather than welded. Looks like the original "Hybrid" saw. Saw top is 30" deep and 20" wide plus two 8" extensions for a total table that is 30" x 36" Couldn't find a great deal of info on OWWM like years made, etc. The Owner/ Parts manuals are a bit hard to read on line. May print it out and see if that helps. Questions I have, are the hand wheels supposed to have lock knobs in the center to hold them where you want them? Did they ever have a motor cover? I am sure I will find other things that I will wonder about as I dig into it further.
Dick

Mark Carlson
05-09-2015, 12:22 PM
General had a 350 and a 650 that I've heard of. Was the 250 before the 350? I've had good luck sending email to general and getting pdf manuals back. They also have manuals online at www.general.ca. Not seeing a 250 though.

~mark

Matt Day
05-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Pictures? How much did you get it for?

Dick Brown
05-09-2015, 3:01 PM
Mark,
Thanks for the links. Will give them a try. From what I have been able to find on the net, most people talk 1960 era give or take a few years. One post I saw somewhere even talked in the "40's but I would question that.
Matt,
Plain to see you are very interested in buying this saw from me!!! As far as pictures, wait till I get it refurbished. I refurbish table saws as a hobby and then sell them. (Most of the time! As we speak, there are 5 of the rascals up in the shop) Make at least $4 or $5 an hr. for my time. Where I resell these old saws to guys like you, did you really expect me to tell WHAT I PAID FOR IT??? LOL. OK, This may even be considered a gloat but I got into my wife's butter and egg money, took $125, didn't get caught, went to a yard sale, and came home with a saw.
Dick

Matt Day
05-09-2015, 4:13 PM
Nice score Nick!

I'm working on my first restoration now, and I think the bug sank a its teeth in me.

I don't think about the hourly rate I make for the couple things I sell occasionally to friends. I enjoy the process and fulfilling a need for someone. Sounds like the same goes for your restorations.

Looking forward to pictures when your done, and some of how it looks today too.

Chuck Hart
05-09-2015, 7:59 PM
Here is a link that might help:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=13834