PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic lid vacuum chambers & cactus juice stabilizing resin

Matt Mackinnon
05-08-2015, 10:49 PM
I had posted here about using a glass jar for stabilizing wood and got quite a response. So I went out and purchased a professionally made vacuum chamber from BestValue Vacuums. But it has brought up an interesting question..

On their web site, they say for their Glass lid chamber: "This chamber was designed specifically to handle stabilizing resins and the lid will never crack or mare from exposure to any resins!! Ever!!"

This very much implies that the 1" Acrylic will crack or mare from exposure to resins used in the wood stabilization process. Put that along out of context with Curtis TurnTex web site saying not to leave Cactus Juice in his acrylic vacuum chamber to soak. What conclusion is left.

I am wondering. Is acrylic likely to have issues when used with Cactus Juice for stabilization? How many SMCers have an acrylic lid vacuum chamber who do stabilization and had any issue with their lid?

Thom Sturgill
05-09-2015, 9:27 AM
No expert here as I have never done vacuum stabilization. But I would assume that the thinners could attack the acrylic over time.

Tony Joyce
05-09-2015, 11:34 AM
I had posted here about using a glass jar for stabilizing wood and got quite a response. So I went out and purchased a professionally made vacuum chamber from BestValue Vacuums. But it has brought up an interesting question..

On their web site, they say for their Glass lid chamber: "This chamber was designed specifically to handle stabilizing resins and the lid will never crack or mare from exposure to any resins!! Ever!!"

This very much implies that the 1" Acrylic will crack or mare from exposure to resins used in the wood stabilization process. Put that along out of context with Curtis TurnTex web site saying not to leave Cactus Juice in his acrylic vacuum chamber to soak. What conclusion is left.

I am wondering. Is acrylic likely to have issues when used with Cactus Juice for stabilization? How many SMCers have an acrylic lid vacuum chamber who do stabilization and had any issue with their lid?

Not sure, but I think Curtis now uses PVC for his chambers. It says on the web site that "Cactus Juice" can be left in the chamber and not deteriorate the chamber.

I made my own from PVC using the design Curtis has upgraded to and it works like a charm for me (using Cactus Juice).

Tony

Curt Stivison
05-09-2015, 5:55 PM
I bought a Best Value chamber with an acyrlic lid and it cracked after about a month. Bought a bigger chamber with a tempered glass lid and I have not had any problems.
Curt