PDA

View Full Version : Beall Buffing System

Jim Young
06-03-2003, 4:05 PM
Stupid question of the day.

Had this stuff in my shop for two years now and never used it. This weekend I thought I would give it a try, Jennifer made it look easy at the last pond get together.

As I get older it gets harder to remember the simple things. Do I use the dark stick first or the white stick? I know the wax is last.

William Parks
06-03-2003, 4:56 PM
Before buffing make sure you sand to at least 220 grit. Then apply a sealer (Minwax, Watco or even tung oil). When the oil is dry then you can begin buffing.

The process starts with the Red Tripoli Compound first. Be sure to apply a generous amount to the wheel (a heavier application will be needed if it's a new wheel). Next is the White Diamond Compund. This you use only a small amount and buff lightly. The final step is the Wax. Once the wheel is charged with the wax only a small amount will be needed (just a second of applying the wax to the wheel). Again buff lightly.

Good Luck!

William

Bill Grumbine
06-03-2003, 5:13 PM
Hi Jim

Just to add to what William has already written, once the wheels are fully charged, watch out for too much tripoli on the wheel, as it will transfer to the piece you are buffing. If it does, it is no biggie, just continue to buff with a lighter touch until the clump comes back off.

NEVER EVER buff walnut or other dark woods with the white diamond compound unless you like little white flecks throughout the finish. DAMHIKT. Go straight to the wax.

Make sure the wheels are matched to the compound being used. Each wheel should be printed with the name of the matching compound.

Watch out for sharp corners or edges. It is amazing how far and how fast a piece of beautifully finished wood can travel to its doom if the wheel catches it the wrong way. DAMHIKT either.

Good luck with it. The Beall is a fine tool for finishing off smaller pieces.

Bill

Jim Becker
06-03-2003, 5:43 PM
Another tip from the peanut gallery...use very little wax. If you get it built up on the buff, things get ugly..."a little dab 'l do ya".