PDA

View Full Version : Omga 1p300?

Martin Wasner
05-08-2015, 4:38 PM
Anyone here have one? Or better yet, anyone here have one and the 300ST and how do they compare? I've got an old Polish built Derda 12" miter saw, while I don't know the history, I'm almost certain that this is what the OMGA saws became. It's an awesome saw. Mine is more than 20 years old, and still cuts like a champ. I was looking for a price for a second one to go on a second bench, when I couldn't find it on OMGA's website any longer. They've apparently been replaced with the 1P300. From the pictures it doesn't look that great, but this video makes it look better than my initial reaction?

Thoughts? Last time I priced out the 300st, I think they were about $1600, but that was ten years ago. The 1P300 I got a quote for yesterday is $1475 delivered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7haEeuyV2mM

Martin Wasner
05-11-2015, 5:47 PM
Nothing? No one?

I found a couple used 300ST's on an auction site, but they are in Georgia. I'm not real excited at driving a thousand miles to pickup a saw. There's two on the auction, but I don't think I'd need the third one for quite a while.

Bill Orbine
05-11-2015, 6:18 PM
I've worked with the MEC 300 ST saws a while ago. These was belt drive and the motor was an excellent counter balance to the blade. Very stout and smooth saws. And accurate. If I ever see one for sale locally, I'll snatch it up if the price is right.

I notice the newer 1P300 saws appears to be direct drive. It's a different beast. I never worked with 1P300 so I can't comment much other than what I observed in the pictures.

That's all I can say .....sorry!

Peter Kelly
05-11-2015, 7:03 PM
$1475 seems pretty reasonable. I had one of the belt-driven T50s long ago and it was considerably more expensive.

The fence system in the video looks really cool.

Ben Rivel
09-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Bumping this thread. Been looking at a Omga 1P 300 myself. Anyone out there now have one and care to comment? These things look to be build better than anything else on the market but Id really like to know how dust collection is as well as general usage.

Also OP: I realize it was over a year ago, but if youre still out there, how were you able to get a quote price lower than the MSRP?

Martin Wasner
09-09-2016, 4:31 PM
Also OP: I realize it was over a year ago, but if youre still out there, how were you able to get a quote price lower than the MSRP?

I just got that one price. I think there's only one dealer for omga near me as well. I didn't dig too far into it.

Ben Rivel
09-09-2016, 10:51 PM
I just got that one price. I think there's only one dealer for omga near me as well. I didn't dig too far into it.
Oh so you went through a local distributor? Huh, didnt think of trying that.

Ben Rivel
09-14-2016, 5:37 PM
Really?! No one around here owns one of these?! Seems every thread that comes up regarding miter saws Omga gets mentioned at least once but no one owns one of these current versions? They arent that either considering what all those Kapex owners pay.

Martin Wasner
09-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Really?! No one around here owns one of these?! Seems every thread that comes up regarding miter saws Omga gets mentioned at least once but no one owns one of these current versions? They arent that either considering what all those Kapex owners pay.

I was shocked as well. The 300 ST is a phenomenal saw.

The direct drive thing kinda turns me off on the new one, but other than that they seem really nice in pictures and video. I'd really like to play with one. Finding more used MEC300ST's has been a pia for me.

Maybe you should buy one and get back to us?

Ben Rivel
09-17-2016, 11:22 PM
I was shocked as well. The 300 ST is a phenomenal saw.

The direct drive thing kinda turns me off on the new one, but other than that they seem really nice in pictures and video. I'd really like to play with one. Finding more used MEC300ST's has been a pia for me.

Maybe you should buy one and get back to us?
Ha Im thinking about it, but I have to sell my current setup and save a bit of money. Im also kinda sad they decided to go with a direct drive setup as well. I guess they did that to help make that line more portable? Im also a little concerned about the lack of crown stops. I have a lot of crown molding I have to cut for my house and Im not sure how much of a pain that might be without angled crown stops. Id have to rig something up on the Omga. Then theres the issue with the blades not being a standard size or having a standard arbor size limiting your options for getting replacements or different styles.

Andrew J. Coholic
09-18-2016, 9:16 AM
I bought a very good used 300 st off of an eBay seller maybe 3 years ago. It's been a staple in the shop since. I have it set into my 18' table with the Omga 700 radial arm saw. Hooked up to the dc as well. Very well built, accurate machine.

I paid about $200 to get it shipped up here from the USA. Paid iirc about $500 for the saw in very good shape. A fraction of the new cost at that time which was about $2300 here. I see these saws up for sale regularly, always in the USA. For a fraction of the cost of buying new, why not pay a bit to ship it to you? I still look out for them. I'd get a second if I found one with a three phase motor, just for the motor. Mine is single phase. The 3 phase units get up to speed much faster and have more power. I've tested both. Problem is many us sellers can't be bothered to ship outside the USA.

Martin Wasner
09-18-2016, 1:24 PM
Ha Im thinking about it, but I have to sell my current setup and save a bit of money. Im also kinda sad they decided to go with a direct drive setup as well. I guess they did that to help make that line more portable? Im also a little concerned about the lack of crown stops. I have a lot of crown molding I have to cut for my house and Im not sure how much of a pain that might be without angled crown stops. Id have to rig something up on the Omga. Then theres the issue with the blades not being a standard size or having a standard arbor size limiting your options for getting replacements or different styles.

It's still a bit odd for a portable saw, there isn't a 120v version. Just 230 single phase, and 230 three phase.

I don't know what a crown stop is, I've cut miles of crown I'm guessing it's not necessary.

That's a pretty standard blade. A fair amount of euro stuff users a blade like that, 300mm with a 30mm bore. I'm curious if the arbor actually has the pins or not though.

Ben Rivel
09-18-2016, 1:47 PM
It's still a bit odd for a portable saw, there isn't a 120v version. Just 230 single phase, and 230 three phase.

I don't know what a crown stop is, I've cut miles of crown I'm guessing it's not necessary.

That's a pretty standard blade. A fair amount of euro stuff users a blade like that, 300mm with a 30mm bore. I'm curious if the arbor actually has the pins or not though.

Crown Stops on a DeWalt (what I have now):

And a video explaining: LINK (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoCpWENOEHo)

But I guess I could always make something like this:

Martin Wasner
09-18-2016, 3:21 PM
Ahhh.

Cut it flat. Angles like that are ridiculous.

Ben Rivel
09-18-2016, 4:28 PM
Ahhh.

Huh, most people find using crown stops an easier way to figure the angles out because they set up the exactly how it will go on the wall. Thats interesting, you must have just done it so many times without that it easier for you to lay angled crown molding flat and visualize the end result without crown stops.

Martin Wasner
09-18-2016, 6:21 PM
Huh, most people find using crown stops an easier way to figure the angles out because they set up the exactly how it will go on the wall. Thats interesting, you must have just done it so many times without that it easier for you to lay angled crown molding flat and visualize the end result without crown stops.

The room for error shrinks significantly if you cut it flat. There's really only two kinds of crown, 45º, and 38º, so the numbers are always the same for bevel and mitre angles.

I'm sure there's a spreadsheet out there somewhere that calculates everything when you've got weird angles, but I've never had to seek one out.

I just think it's the easiest way to cut crown. You're not fighting it quite as hard to get it to sit on the saw. Small crown like 2-1/4" I'll stand up, but much past that I'll cut it flat.

Andrew J. Coholic
09-18-2016, 8:12 PM
Ahhh.

Then you would need one if their compound mitre saws. The 300st and this newer one are simple mitre saws therefore won't work flat.

Martin Wasner
09-18-2016, 9:57 PM
Correct, the 300st doesn't compound, the new one compound mitres though.

Andrew J. Coholic
09-18-2016, 10:23 PM
Correct, the 300st doesn't compound, the new one compound mitres though.

The 1P300? Everything I've seen and read since this thread shows no compound ability.

Ben Rivel
09-18-2016, 10:39 PM
The 1P300? Everything I've seen and read since this thread shows no compound ability.
The 1P 300 is a compound miter saw: LINK (https://www.omgainc.com/images/products/191/1P-1L_USA.pdf)

Andrew J. Coholic
09-19-2016, 8:33 PM
The 1P 300 is a compound miter saw: LINK (https://www.omgainc.com/images/products/191/1P-1L_USA.pdf)

Thanks for that link to the brochure. Funny they didnt show that in the demo video. Seeing as how all the other compound offerings from Omga are in the $4K to $5K range, it seems quite inexpensive. I wish I checked one at the their booth in Atlanta last month. As much as I love the 300ST, a compound saw would be nice at times.

Ben Rivel
09-19-2016, 8:48 PM
Thanks for that link to the brochure. Funny they didnt show that in the demo video. Seeing as how all the other compound offerings from Omga are in the $4K to $5K range, it seems quite inexpensive. I wish I checked one at the their booth in Atlanta last month. As much as I love the 300ST, a compound saw would be nice at times.
Yea they definitely need to work on their marketing, thats for sure. They also need to get their products in with more resellers. These two saws seem like they might be targeted at a mobile/portable jobsite type work, if they want to break into that market they really need to start reaching those people and doing a better job of educating them why their saws are worth the money.

Martin Wasner
09-19-2016, 10:40 PM
You need access to 230V or they need to put a 120V motor on it to make it jobsite friendly.