PDA

View Full Version : Let me introduce myself

Les Smith 71
08-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Hello everyone. I like to introduce myself. I've been sitting back everyday and reading posts on this site. Lots of great info. I've bought myself some equipment. Not the great stuff but it will get me started. I've got a Wilton mini lathe, Craftsman miter saw, Bosh jig saw, drill press, pen turning starter kit from Woodcraft, books, and lots of other stuff. I want to turn pens and anything else that might fit in that little ole' lathe. I've got our 2-car garage cleaned out as best I can that I have to share with the wife. She sure likes to keep a lot of stuff. I'll be building a bench here soon. I've got one but it sure does wobble a lot. I hope to start turning stuff when it gets cooler, probably in late September. Just wanted to say hi and tell you I've really learned a lot reading what everyone has to offer. I'll see you around.

Bobby McCarley
08-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Hello Les, welcome to the creek. You couldn't have picked a better place to hang out. Lots of friendly people with lots of free advice and great ideas and everyone is more than willing to help out when it comes to solving a problem.
A word of caution though, once the spin machine grabs ahold of you, there is no getting loose. Just be sure to make plenty of stuff for the better half to keep her happy because any extra money is gobbled up by the spin machine. Also beware of the picture patrol, they get real cranky when you talk about projects and don't include pictures. :)

Vaughn McMillan
08-10-2005, 1:02 AM
Welcome to the Creek. Les. Since you've been lurking for a bit, you probably already know what a great bunch of folks hang around here. They even put up with the likes of me. ;) It's a great place to learn and share, and you'll likely be doing lots of both.

- Vaughn

John Hart
08-10-2005, 7:21 AM
...They even put up with the likes of me....

And me too! Welcome Les! Are you sure you can wait a month?

Dave Right
08-10-2005, 7:48 AM
Welcome Les! You'll have a good time!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2005, 8:24 AM
Welcome to the Creek Les! Wade right in the water's fine!

Kurt Aebi
08-10-2005, 8:51 AM
Welcome to the creek!

Don't be afraid to ask ANY question you have, these folks here will help you.

It is a great place to hang out, we are all friends here!

Keith Burns
08-10-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm fairly new here as well but welcome aboard ! I agree with the others that you won't find a better bunch of guys and gals anywhere. As others have said if you don't post photos it never happened.

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints."

Alan Ryalls
08-11-2005, 3:52 PM
hi les and welcome,
alan.........

Greg Tatum
08-11-2005, 4:11 PM
Welcome Les...good intro but you forgot a pic of your shop ;)

Von Bickley
08-11-2005, 4:16 PM
Welcome Les. Glad to have you in the creek... :)

Ernie Nyvall
08-11-2005, 7:10 PM
Welcome Les. As others have said, this is a great place to share information.

Hey, on the sharing of space, have you thought of putting a pull down ladder to the attic of the garage? You could insulate the ceiling while you're at it, put a few pieces of plywood down, and a light.

Of course the very first thing you will have to do "before" you do that is to turn a few things for your wife. Throw a few wood chips around her boxes and tell her " I need to think of a way to keep the sawdust off your stuff." :cool:

Again, welcome.

Ernie