PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a dedicated computer for each Universal Laser?

Tim Warris
05-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Just bought our 3rd Universal laser and love the new UCP driver. Our oldest laser, an M-300 is still running on a parallel port and using the old driver, which is fine. On that same computer we have a VLS4.60 driven from the UCP interface. This allows us to operate two lasers from one computer. Now that we have added a PLS6.75 it seems that in order to operate it simultaneously with the other lasers, we'd have to purchase another computer, and licence another copy of Windows and Corel to operate it. This seems like a huge oversight in the development of the drivers. Are those shops with multiple machines adding a dedicated computer for each of them? Seems redundant and unnecessarily expensive...

Tim

Scott Shepherd
05-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Yup, we have a computer for every laser we have. At one time we did have one computer running two machines and found it to be really bad. If one machine is being setup to run something, then you have to sit and wait to finish that before you can get on another job.

The beauty and power of it all is that the machines stay updated. They stay updated because the brain of the machine, essentially, is on the computer, not inside the laser. So you don't end up with legacy equipment that is stuck in Windows 98 land. Our Universal is 7 years old now, I think, and it's running the same software with the same functions as one sold yesterday.

I think it's just something you need to get used to. As you run them more, you'll see the power in each machine having it's own computer.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Gary Hair
05-08-2015, 12:50 PM
I have 4 computers to run 2 lasers and a UV printer. One is my design computer, it has Corel, Outlook, etc., to allow me to do all of the design, layout and communication with customers. The 2nd is solely to run the co2 - I have Corel and the laser driver, that's it! The 3rd is dedicated to the fiber, the 4th is dedicated to the UV printer. If any one computer dies on me I have the other three to use as backups, if I had one computer for all three machines I would be screwed if it died. Plus, as Steve said, you can multi-task better with everything separate. All are networked together the design computer is where all the customer files are stored - easier for backup purposes as well. I use two 28" monitors for the design and co2 computers with a keyboard/mouse switch to toggle between the two of them. The fiber and UV printer are completely stand-alone with their own keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Mike Troncalli
05-08-2015, 1:09 PM
I don't know which version of Corel you have, but my off the shelf CD X5 let me put the same copy on 3 different machines... Also any PC you buy is pretty much going to come with stock windows so I don't see any issues there either...

As everyone above as said, go with both.. You'll save yourself a whole lot of aggravation down the road...

Patrick Smithwick
05-08-2015, 1:26 PM
I have a dedicated computer to both of my lasers. The straw hat broke the camels back was when I bought the fiber laser and had to wait for my wife to finish with some lasering on the CO2, run a decal on the cutting plotter and print some sublimation prints before i could run something. To me it is a no brainer to buy a dedicated if you can afford it.

Paul Phillips
05-08-2015, 2:48 PM
If you're concerned about cost of a new computer you can try a refurbished system from someone like Newegg.com or discountelectronics.com, you can buy a complete setup for under $200 that should be plenty to run corel and UCP, plug it into a simple network switch and use one as your main storage, if space is a concern you can set up a shared monitor, keyboard and mouse arrangement (KVM switch) and just toggle between systems.

John Sanford
05-08-2015, 3:17 PM
Just curious if you're the Tim behind the Bronx Terminal?

Tim Warris
05-08-2015, 3:46 PM
Just curious if you're the Tim behind the Bronx Terminal?

Yes, that's me.

Thanks for all the feedback. I suspected this was the case. Seems odd to me, with all the technology available, they couldn't make one computer operate multiple lasers....

Bill George
05-08-2015, 5:20 PM
If you're concerned about cost of a new computer you can try a refurbished system from someone like Newegg.com or discountelectronics.com, you can buy a complete setup for under $200 that should be plenty to run corel and UCP, plug it into a simple network switch and use one as your main storage, if space is a concern you can set up a shared monitor, keyboard and mouse arrangement (KVM switch) and just toggle between systems.
I do what he does, I purchase like new 3 year old Lenovo laptops for never more than $300. The medical clinics must use on lease and turn in for new ones. They are top of the line $2000 computers new.

Mike Troncalli
05-08-2015, 5:53 PM
Yes, that's me.

Thanks for all the feedback. I suspected this was the case. Seems odd to me, with all the technology available, they couldn't make one computer operate multiple lasers....

They do... You can easily get a performance packed desktop. (processor, memory, solid state drive, etc, etc.) But you still end up with one point of failure.. As a few others have posted with 2 computers you always have a backup and, do you really want to have a job screw up in the middle because the computer is trying to process two machines at once...

Tim Bateson
05-08-2015, 9:49 PM
Why do so many users refuse to add a signature block????? It would help so much to diagnose problems and relate to issues if everyone knew what equipment was being discussed.

Lee DeRaud
05-09-2015, 9:49 AM
Why do so many users refuse to add a signature block????? It would help so much to diagnose problems and relate to issues if everyone knew what equipment was being discussed.I agree...somewhat. Then again, it's in the thread title.
(And no, I don't have machine info in my sig either. But I'm rather OCD about including that info when I ask a question.)

Dave Sheldrake
05-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Why do so many users refuse to add a signature block?????

Because the machines won't fit Tim :)

Uma Duffy
05-09-2015, 10:20 AM
you should have a dedicated circuit to your machine, but any 34 or 64 bit processor today can run a warehouse full or lasers. how are you going to back up your system is a much more important question.

Kev Williams
05-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Personally, I don't see the problem with running several machines off one computer OR having several computers to run individual machines-- I suppose it's because I do both. But to the OP's original question, I'm not sure why he would need a dedicated computer for a third machine? Each driver should be separate, and even if not, each machine should be able to be driven individually via the different machine names-

If that's not possible, then boo to whoever's behind designing that nonsense.

But additional computers are no problem at all- Do what I did, I found a guy nearby who flips used computers. He'll build me any computer I want and deliver to me ready to go for $75 to $125. (So far, his $75 computers work fine for me).

Joe Walmer
05-09-2015, 5:03 PM
So am I missing something or does universal lasers need computing power from a PC during the actual cutting? I can easily run my epilog and mercury from the same PC or technically no pc and could run more and the only drawback is juggling jobs etc but I dont have to design too much between jobs and corel is like another language for me I can see a thousand steps ahead. I can only run one mercury through a paralell port but you can get pci expansion cards cheap to fix that so no excuse there.

Just another reason I am building a new laser that can just print from a sd card and does not even need a pc to do most of my jobs.

Ross Moshinsky
05-09-2015, 6:14 PM
Universal and Trotec lasers are different than the other brands. Other brands have an internal computer and file storage system, much like a printer. Universal and Trotec lasers use the computer as laser's "brain" much like a CNC machine.

As a result, you typically want a dedicated computer for a ULS machine. If you could figure out how to run multiple instances of UCP, you might be able to run two machines off one computer simultaneously, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

I also don't recommend buying one of those used computers. They are WAY overpriced IMO. If you needed to buy 20 computers, it might make sense, but for one, it's not in your best interest. I looked at the specs of a $300 laptop and I swear the laptop must be 5+ years old. 2GB of ram and 160GB with low resolution screen screams ancient. I'd recommend checking out slickdeals and finding a $500 laptop. In 4-5 years, you'll have the same caliber laptop as the $300 one.

Scott Shepherd
05-09-2015, 8:31 PM
They might not be like your Epilog, but their drivers and job control systems are superior in so many ways. So much so that Epilog is working hard to have job control in place. Don't bash it before you've used it. There's a very good reason it's done that way and that reason has been used for about 10 years now with 1000's and 1000's of lasers in the field, so it's not like this is something new, or something the customers have rejected. People use it and like because it's very powerful.

You can't take a job in the epilog, once it's in the machine and copy, rotate, etc.

You can't send 20 jobs over that all use the same material and then group them at the laser, etc. You can't program the Z axis to move up and down (unless you're using a Fusion), so there are many features and differences.

Lee DeRaud
05-09-2015, 8:56 PM
As a result, you typically want a dedicated computer for a ULS machine. If you could figure out how to run multiple instances of UCP, you might be able to run two machines off one computer simultaneously, but I don't think it's worth the risk.Offhand, the only way I can think of to make that fly is to run multiple instances of Windows under VMware or something similar...not for the faint of heart.

A much easier approach might be to configure UCP to fetch its intermediate files from a shared directory. That puts all the Corel work on one machine, outputting through a single driver to what it thinks is one device, then picked up and "printed" as required by instances of UCP running on multiple laser-dedicated CPUs.

That said, I think a bit of bargain-hunting would yield a perfectly adequate new computer for $300. I ran my ULS machine off a 512MB 900MHz P3 when I first got it, about the same performance level as a netbook. There are also any number of really cheap CPU boxes that could be combined into a single-seat setup with KVM switches for the terminally frugal.

Chris Corwin
05-09-2015, 9:44 PM
My local transfer station(dump) usually has a few good workstations that people are just throwing away. Last weekend I got myself a nice 20" iMac and a high end NAD integrated amplifier. You would be surprised at what people throw out.

Bill George
05-09-2015, 9:58 PM
My ULS machine, I download and then I can disconnect the computer. As long as the laser is powered the laser has the file in memory.

My 3 year old Lenovo W500 Windows 7 Pro 64, 4 Mb memory, 1920x1200 screen resolution, 160 Gb HD Du Core T9900 3.06Ghz cost me a little over $300, came with a docking station, extra power supply, IR mouse and remote and more. I have purchased used Lenovo's for years, never had a failure... ever. Friend purchased a brand new HP, 2 years later I had to replace the failed OEM hard drive.

There is a difference between a retail grade laptop/notebook sold at a price point vs professional commercial grade models.

Scott Shepherd
05-09-2015, 10:16 PM
My ULS machine, I download and then I can disconnect the computer. As long as the laser is powered the laser has the file in memory.

Bill, you can't do that on those with the UCP. It requires to be connected at all times to run. It has a lot more features than what you're seeing.

Joe Walmer
05-10-2015, 10:02 AM
I was just under the impression that the cnc world not to mention almost the entire 3d printing world are moving to on board micro processing for moving the steppers etc. So hopefully its just job handling and file editing that uses the computer and not the actual commands that are used to move the stepper motors. The timing and other internal clocks etc in the PC would be overridden by the operating system etc. not allowing correct info to be sent at correct times.

So I guess what I really am asking is if you unplug your printer cable from the machine half way through a cut on a trotec or uls will the machine stop engraving or cutting instantly or can it finish a job because an internal microprocessor is handling all the stepper commands etc. and the actual job while its cutting. I don't care how fancy or expensive a laser is if its literally using windows to fire the signals and the timing for the steppers I wouldn't get one.

As far as editing and rotating jobs etc after you send it to the laser I would simply prefer not to mess around and I can surely edit any file copy paste rotate etc right in corel and reprint it again (very efficient and fast and hard to mess up). Not to mention I can have 10 lasers hooked up to one pc. (and a different instance of corel for each if i wanted to be really fast and efficient) If you have lots of things to engrave and have to copy and move them a lot and or change what the text is etc on those objects etc. you should be using library objects in corel. I could make one object say a business card then copy and move it into a jig that holds 12 etc. and later if you need to change the text or even the whole design you just change the design in the library object and all 12 of the cards in the jig change instantly.

The only drawback i see is if you sent a file to the laser and 2 hours later realized you messed up and it wasn't saved exactly as you cut it for placing jig purposes and want to change something and recut all that info is lost. Exactly why every motion controller for 3-d printers (diy laser cutters) uses sd card slot and I can just simply re grab file 13 for the day etc. open it back up and edit it again then reprint it.

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 10:09 AM
I was just under the impression that the cnc world not to mention almost the entire 3d printing world are moving to on board micro processing for moving the steppers etc. So hopefully its just job handling and file editing that uses the computer and not the actual commands that are used to move the stepper motors. The timing and other internal clocks etc in the PC would be overridden by the operating system etc. not allowing correct info to be sent at correct times.

So i guess what I really am asking is if you unplug your printer cable from the machine half way through a cut on a trotec or uls will the machine stop engraving or cutting instantly or can it finish a job because an internal microprocessor is handling all the stepper commands etc. and the actual job while its cutting. I don't care how fancy or expensive a laser is if its literally using windows to fire the signals and the timing for the steppers I wouldn't get one.

As far as editing and rotating jobs etc after you send it to the laser I would simply prefer not to mess around and I can surely edit any file copy paste rotate etc right in corel and reprint it again(very efficient and fast and hard to mess up). If you have lots of things to engrave and have to copy and move them a lot and or change what the text is etc on those objects etc. you should be using library objects in corel. I could make one object say a business card then copy and move it into a jig that holds 12 etc. and later if you need to change the text or even the whole design you just change the design in the library object and all 12 of the cards in the jig change instantly.

If you unplug the machine from the computer while it's running, it will stop dead, it won't finish the job.

The only people this seems wrong to is people that haven't used it. I'll take the power and features of my Job Control systems over a print type setup every day of the week. It saves us a lot of time and time is money.

It has nothing to do with using objects in Corel. It's about workflow and processing jobs. I've used Epilog's with their printer like setup, so I'm very familiar with how it all works. I've also been around CNC machines for decades. Every CNC machine has it's own computer too. If you think it's a fatal flaw, I'd strongly disagree with that.

If I'm buying a $30,000 laser, I seriously doubt a $300 computer is going to stop me from finishing the deal.

Keith Winter
05-10-2015, 11:57 AM
If you unplug the machine from the computer while it's running, it will stop dead, it won't finish the job.

The only people this seems wrong to is people that haven't used it. I'll take the power and features of my Job Control systems over a print type setup every day of the week. It saves us a lot of time and time is money.

It has nothing to do with using objects in Corel. It's about workflow and processing jobs. I've used Epilog's with their printer like setup, so I'm very familiar with how it all works. I've also been around CNC machines for decades. Every CNC machine has it's own computer too. If you think it's a fatal flaw, I'd strongly disagree with that.

If I'm buying a $30,000 laser, I seriously doubt a $300 computer is going to stop me from finishing the deal.

I 100% agree with you Scott. Job control was a large factor in us going Trotec. You cannot do much on the pic while the laser is running but it saves a lot of time on repeatable jobs. Another factor those complaining about having to buy a computer for each laser are not thinking about is by the pc doing the computation work rather than the laser it allows you to upgrade over the years as the software improves and requires more power vs being locked into old hardware trying to keep up with new programs. Some people on here have 10+ year old lasers. Can you imagine how terribly slow a 10 old computer would be processing new illustrator or Corel files vs a new modern pc? It's a benefit, not a negative, that the pc does the work in my opinion.

Lee DeRaud
05-10-2015, 12:22 PM

So I guess what I really am asking is if you unplug your printer cable from the machine half way through a cut on a trotec or uls will the machine stop engraving or cutting instantly or can it finish a job because an internal microprocessor is handling all the stepper commands etc. and the actual job while its cutting. I don't care how fancy or expensive a laser is if its literally using windows to fire the signals and the timing for the steppers I wouldn't get one.No idea about Trotec, but what ULS is doing is sending high-level commands to the laser: it's not G-code but it's at about that level. The firmware/hardware on the laser handles the high-rate hardware-level interaction, it's just that there is no storage or job control at that end of the cable.
(I would point out that at the DIY level, controllers like Mach are using Windows to send hardware-level stepper commands...it's not easy but it can be done. There is a trend toward moving functionality downstream so that USB/Ethernet interfaces can be used instead of parallel, but the high-level command generation is still being done in the PC.)

Bert Kemp
05-10-2015, 12:25 PM
I don't understand why thats a bad thing? Once I send a job to the laser I can unplug the usb cable and the job will run and complete. Not that I would do that but I can. Once the job is running I can then set up next job in the lasercut software and have it ready to send to laser when the prev job is done. I would not be able to do that if the job is being sent commands from the computer.

Lee DeRaud
05-10-2015, 12:29 PM
You cannot do much on the P/C while the laser is running...Really? With a ULS, even on (relatively) slow PCs, I don't notice a lot of slowdown doing updates to Corel files etc while it's outputting to the laser.

Lee DeRaud
05-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Once the job is running I can then set up next job in the lasercut software and have it ready to send to laser when the prev job is done. I would not be able to do that if the job is being sent commands from the computer.I do that all the time with my ULS, no problem.
See my post above about what the PC is actually doing while the laser is running.

Keith Winter
05-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Really? With a ULS, even on (relatively) slow PCs, I don't notice a lot of slowdown doing updates to Corel files etc while it's outputting to the laser.

Yep and we're running mid $600 desktop pcs. We use illustrator so that adds overhead, but I think job control slows down the pc when it's engraving. You can work but iat about half normal speed. Might be a bit relative too. I imagine the half speed when engraving is about equal to the "full" speed of a $250 pc :p

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 12:53 PM
I don't understand why thats a bad thing? Once I send a job to the laser I can unplug the usb cable and the job will run and complete. Not that I would do that but I can. Once the job is running I can then set up next job in the lasercut software and have it ready to send to laser when the prev job is done. I would not be able to do that if the job is being sent commands from the computer.

Bert, it's not a "bad" thing, there are just "better" ways. What you are talking about is the different in a print driver and a Job Control System. Two totally different things. What you can't do on your print driver system is go back to a job you ran in a rush 4 weeks ago and pull all the settings from that job, or actually run that job again without having to open CorelDraw or hit "print" in any software.

It also allows you to put many jobs on the same piece of material outside of Coreldraw. If you cut a lot of things from the same material, then you are well versed in the practice of opening all the files and cutting and pasting part after part into one master corel file, then hitting print. With Job Control, you can do that very easily outside of Corel, so there's no need to make that master file in Corel.

There are so many benefits to Job Control when it comes to productivity that it's not even something I'd ever consider buying a laser without. But then again, some of us use our lasers to run production and some of us use them for hobbies. If I used it as a hobby, then it probably wouldn't matter at all to me.

On the Universal, you can have 2000 jobs in storage. They don't go away when you turn the machine off and on again.

Just to show another example, we ran wedding invitations last week. The customer wanted a score line to bend the invitation. There's a feature on the Trotec system called "link". You can have it vary the power across a line. In my case, I set it to lightly score the paper, but every 1/16" of an inch, go deeper, but not through the paper. So it made an invisible perforation that weakened the paper so it bent really easy but kept the strength. All I did in Corel was make a straight line, then in my settings, I told it to use that feature and it was done. If I had to do that by hand, it would have taken me more time on the job.

Bert Kemp
05-10-2015, 12:53 PM
I not arguing with any of this Just curious as to why some think its a bad idea. I guess we all can continue corel work while the laser is running. Its just my laser has internal memory and some think this is not good I guess don't know why. But I think its off the OP's original ? of do we need dedicated computers for each laser.

I do that all the time with my ULS, no problem.
See my post above about what the PC is actually doing while the laser is running.

Joe Walmer
05-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Well scott I understand cnc machines used to be run on pc's with parallel ports etc. But now adays people are replacing legacy cnc systems like that with onboard controllers. Those have been driven by the huge explosion tech of 3d printers in the last 5-8 years and what would have cost thousands of dollars and needed trained experts to do now can be done by a 14 year old kid and 120$ and an Arduino that costs 15$. the good part is most people just pop in a board like tinyg or a smoothieboard, hook up the motor connections and poof its all done. Its kind of crazy but yeah big guys in the cnc world for 30 years are actually learning from high school kids and adapting the 3-d printer brains to convert their machines.

Every single person i saw retrofitting the cnc machines said it was much better etc. The fact that windows itself is a terrible way to control timing for steppers etc and the demand for faster more accurate prints as 3-d printing has come up is a real gamechanger. Its not a fatal flaw like you suggest but it is a flaw and people have worked to fix that flaw. Go to any cnc site and you see tons of people converting from pc driven systems to an onboard controller for this exact reason. Its the same reason mach 3 has problems sometimes because its driven by the computers timing and interrupts all of which has been shared with windows and its bloated ever growing operating system requirements.

All the talk about faster bigger computers needed for newer lasers etc. That dont stand for me when a micro controller I can get from radioshack for 30$ and a cheaper version from china for 4$ can run any cnc -3d printing- plasma cutter etc. They are only just running into problems now because they are computing 3 axis and a 4th fro feeding the material. Laser cutters have 2 axis instead of 5 so yeah an arduino microcontroller can run any cnc type laser cutting/engraving job etc. better than a pc can technically. The only limitation there is memory and the newer cnc controllers like smoothieboard tinyg etc. all have faster processors and more memory than an arduino.

Your logic however does work when you consider that windows itself keeps bloating and demanding more resources then yes you would need a faster pc with faster bus on it etc. to keep up with what you were doing years before. Its hardly faster more complex lasers. The fact remains no matter how fast your pc is (i7, 8 cores, 16 gb memory, overclocked, etc.) it still is interrupted by windows and it will always never put out "perfect" stepper commands never. If you built your own operating system on the pc hardware however that only put commands to a stepper driver well that is what you have in a onboard solution.

The other benefit is when your mainboard dies hopefully there is no mainboard in a trotec so that wont happen.

Bert Kemp
05-10-2015, 1:04 PM
Scott I think I can do a lot of what you said but not all of it. I can save several jobs on the same material all with different settings and just send the whole thing to the laser and I don't need corel to do that. I just open the file from the laser and hit go. Now if I wanted to make any changes to those files then I'd need corel but it sounds like you do to. I don't have link to tell it to use the change I would have to manually change it in corel then resave the whole thing.

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 1:11 PM
That's not the case Joe. People have gone to microcontrollers because they are cheap, not because they are better. What people are doing with microcontrollers and calling "new" was done 50 years ago by people that were cranking out NC machines. You can't compare the actions of a microcontroller driven system to a $250,000 CNC machine. The $250,000 machine is going to be a heck of a lot more accurate and have a lot more features.

I worked for the company that invented the FMS and I've spent my entire adult life running, programming, and buying CNC machines.

You won't walk into a job shop today and find someone replacing their Mori Seiki with a Arduino based machine. It's not going to happen. Will you walk into someone's garage and see one? Sure. Two different markets. The arduino side of them are just reinventing what was already invented decades ago, it's just making them more accessible to people at much lower costs. That doesn't mean they are the same, or function the same.

Don't take my word for it, Universal's been around for decades, their Job Control has been out for 8 years or more and it's on every laser they sell. Last time I talked to them (weeks ago), business was booming. Trotec's been doing it for a while and last time I talked to them, business was booming. Epilog had their version at the show I was at, and they are heading that direction.

If there's no value in it, then why are all three of them, who are all cranking machines out every day, making them? Apparently they aren't hearing complaints from people about it.

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 1:13 PM
Bert, it's like the difference between a flip phone with nothing but a phone, and a smart phone. Do both call people? Sure. Do you need the features on a smart phone for your life? Yes? No? Maybe? It's the same thing here. Machines that have a print driver are like a flip phone and Job Control systems are like smart phones. You can do a lot more with them, there's a lot of power, and to some people, that power is important. To others, it's a frustration.

Jerome Stanek
05-10-2015, 1:21 PM
I can do that also and change speed and power without the computer connected while a job is running

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 1:32 PM
I can do that also and change speed and power without the computer connected while a job is running

Sure, you can change speed and power when it's not plugged into the computer, but you don't have the same features available. If you see no value to the features, then great. We, however, do see a TON of value in the features.

It's your money, I don't care how you spend it, but don't pretend that they are the same, because they aren't.

Show me, on a print driver system, how you can create a perforated line without having to make a perforated line in Corel? Or, better yet, make what I described. A score line with a perforated line inside it. Done with 1 click on our system.

Lee DeRaud
05-10-2015, 1:50 PM
I not arguing with any of this Just curious as to why some think its a bad idea. I guess we all can continue corel work while the laser is running. Its just my laser has internal memory and some think this is not good I guess don't know why. But I think its off the OP's original ? of do we need dedicated computers for each laser.Actually I think we do need a dedicated computer for each laser.
I just don't think putting it inside the laser is the right answer.

Bill George
05-10-2015, 3:09 PM
I think it would be nice to have it both ways. I think what Scott is saying is the PC connected does the actual machine control, via a interface built into the machine.

One of my CNC toys in the past was a PlasmaCAM, where the computer ran the machine via a parallel port connection and they had issues with some different computers. The other three machines used a serial port for control and again a special interface board. Given todays computers and the way they are being produced and different operating systems coming in the future, I would almost rather have a stand alone machine where you download and it stays in the memory.

Bert Kemp
05-10-2015, 3:14 PM
I wish I could afford such a laser and If I was in business for profit I'm sure I'd check them out and see all the advantages of owning one. But for what I do 95% hobby and play with it and 5% try to pay for materials. This ones ok.

Bert, it's like the difference between a flip phone with nothing but a phone, and a smart phone. Do both call people? Sure. Do you need the features on a smart phone for your life? Yes? No? Maybe? It's the same thing here. Machines that have a print driver are like a flip phone and Job Control systems are like smart phones. You can do a lot more with them, there's a lot of power, and to some people, that power is important. To others, it's a frustration.

Kev Williams
05-10-2015, 6:00 PM
Bert, it's not a "bad" thing, there are just "better" ways. What you are talking about is the different in a print driver and a Job Control System. Two totally different things. What you can't do on your print driver system is go back to a job you ran in a rush 4 weeks ago and pull all the settings from that job, or actually run that job again without having to open CorelDraw or hit "print" in any software.

What's the difference between opening the job in Corel and opening it at the laser, or the program that runs the laser? Every job I've ever done that's more complicated than a 1 x 3 name badge, I have saved. And for every job-specific settings for every job, they're saved in the drivers. Both my old ULS and LS900 drivers can save all settings for all jobs. Call up the job, hit print, call up the settings (same name as the job), send to the laser, run it.

And then there's Gravostyle. It may not have a lot of fans, but it'll do some amazing things, very quickly once you figure out how.

Not saying 'job control' isn't nice, I'm sure it is. But for me, I doubt it would do anything but slow me down... ;)

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2015, 6:16 PM
I could spend pages and pages cataloging the what Job Control can do that a print driver can't. What's the point? Those who have never run it will pick apart every point, and those who have run it and other's will just agree. In the end, it's not going to change anything. If you don't need the features, great. We do. I'd say we're power users of our systems. If I did the same thing every day, and it was just name tags, same material, same everything, maybe I'd think twice about it, but we use the power of the systems and push them as hard as we can to do things other people aren't doing.

It gives us a competitive advantage over our competition and that translates into business, which is a good thing for us. So, if you're in my area, I highly recommend buying machines without job control :D

Ross Moshinsky
05-10-2015, 6:31 PM
I have both types of machines. Both have benefits. I have positive and negative things to say about both systems. Some may find the differences life changing. Others won't. Some may find the job control method to be detrimental to their business.

In the end, the original post is about running a Univeral Laser of a seperate computer, and I'd strongly recommend it. DO NOT buy a low power consumption PC. They do not work with the ULS. Buy a full powered PC or laptop. I actually think a touch screen laptop would be the best way to go. $500 should get you something that will run all the latest software and last at least 5 years without being dated. If you buy an old, used laptop, you're buying something that will be DATED in only a few years. I don't consider that a good investment for a $200 savings.

John Sanford
05-11-2015, 5:18 PM
Yes, that's me.

Big fan of your work here, and a customer.

Bill George
05-11-2015, 6:49 PM
I learned a lot about different laser control systems, thanks to all who posted.

andrew zen
05-14-2015, 2:00 PM
Virtual Machines and Ethernet to LPT adapters. "Add a network printer" , or create LPT2 and link to TCP/IP port. Put a CorelDraw on one VM, clone. If need be, move the VM to different computer in the future.