PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen Tool Fairy Delivery

Rich Riddle
05-08-2015, 10:12 AM
I perform more than a fair share of free work and never charge friends for work. Apparently someone heard of Lie Nielsen and sent this via the tool fairy. If one of you folks would kindly explain what it does and if it serves a useful purpose I would appreciate it. It certainly looks pretty.

313181 313182 313183 313184

David Ragan
05-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Too funny.

I have the big one and the little one, and have never used either one, except to create a gouge where I tried to get glue off.....

Matthew N. Masail
05-08-2015, 10:22 AM
I have one by woodriver and find it useful for a few things, non of them really needing this plane. one example is cutting a edge banding of a dowel flush, you can use the plane just like you would a chisel with small bites and a shearing action. the woodriver is tough to set up because is has no adjuster, the LN should be much better.

IT IS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS! (plus I'm sure you could exchange it for something you need more)

Bruce Mack
05-08-2015, 10:27 AM
That's a beauty. I have a knock-off from Wood River without the wheel adjuster. The chisel plane is used to remove glue squeeze-out inside or outside carcases (think drawers or other boxes) and also to level plugs, dowels, or miter keys. In my experience I have to adjust the blade slightly above the work surface and use a slicing cut to prevent digging in or chipping out. You may still need a sharp paring chisel for the final leveling of the plug. When not using it, keep it on your desk as a paper weight or something to toy with when you need distraction.

Rich Riddle
05-08-2015, 10:30 AM
It had to come from one of the elderly widows who always ask for favors. It might serve a purpose one day.

Frederick Skelly
05-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Chisel plane. It's supposed to be handy when camphering in places a regular plane won't reach. For example, when you are camphering the inside edge of a drawer, a block plane won't cut that last inch or so. The chisel plane will go all the way into the corner for you. I had that same tool on my list until I bought my Narex paring chisels. I'm trying to get good at using them in that last inch instead of buying one. IIRC that's about a $140 tool.

Edit: Bruce types faster than I do. Sorry to be redundant.

lowell holmes
05-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Check this link. I may have to order me a plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBGHX2Wnfs&feature=youtu.be

Mike Null
05-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Rich

There's a long learning curve on that. You probably don't have the time. I'll pm my address and you can send it over my way.:)

Rich Riddle
05-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Rich

There's a long learning curve on that. You probably don't have the time. I'll pm my address and you can send it over my way.:)
Well that's quite generous of you to allow a fellow Creeker to fore-go the trauma associated with the learning curve. Would you happen to have a fence that you would like to have painted?

Kent A Bathurst
05-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Check this link. I may have to order me a plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBGHX2Wnfs&feature=youtu.be

Yeah - that is a big reason - - trimming back edging without burning electrons. I burn electrons, and use a block plane if needed fro light cleanup.

Another use - and the reason I bought one some years back - cleanup dried glue from squeeze out in corner joints.

Worked pretty good for that. First tried to use a damp rag while the glue was still wet - that was very successful at smearing wet glue into the deep pores of QSWO, providing an excellent barrier to dye. So - went to chisel plane, and black light/UV additive [recently sold to J-10]..

But then - I came to realize I was treating the symptom, not the disease. - got better at glue application, and pre-finished parts so the wet glue wipes off with a damp rag - way too late for any glue to get past the varnish, much less into the pores.

Works as advertised, typical outstanding LN quality, but was a niche specialty tool that did not get many minutes per game.... And - I sold my chisel plane a few years ago.

EDIT: Rich - BTW - when you see the LN Tool Fairy, be sure to mention my name, eh?

Rick Fisher
05-09-2015, 1:36 AM
I have the same tool, its used with a twist of the wrist. Very effective for flush plugs. Fast and clean ..

Bit of a knack to use it but you get it .. and you got it ..

Moses Yoder
05-09-2015, 4:30 AM
The company I used to work for had one with RHI engraved on the side. I saw it on a table when they were getting all their stuff ready for auction. Out of all the stuff there, it was the one thing I wanted to buy as a memento of 12 years of my life. On auction day I looked for it and it had disappeared.