PDA

View Full Version : Flush trim aluminum router bit

"Patrick G Rainsberger"
05-07-2015, 8:57 PM
I can't seem to find the answer to this question. Can you use a good quality aluminum router bit on wood. What is the difference between the
two? Are the flutes more shallow and won't clear the wood? I've searched for an hour on the web and haven't come up with anything. This should be a simple question for someone that know. One thing I should add is that it's spiral upcut solid carbide 1/4" bit
Pat

Peter Quinn
05-07-2015, 9:32 PM
I don't see any problem using a bit made for aluminum on wood. We have a pile of flush trim bits that were bought and used to trim aluminum laminate sheeting. Bits intended for wood don't fair well on the aluminum but those meant for aluminum seem to do fine in wood. I think the helix angle is optimized to give the longest life possible in metal, maybe different carbide? But wood is relatively easy to machine and almost anything will cut it.

"Patrick G Rainsberger"
05-07-2015, 9:39 PM
Thanks Peter,

That should end my endless google searches for this information.
Pat

Mike Heidrick
05-07-2015, 10:40 PM
I use O flute for alum and 2 flute for wood. What are you calling a bit for aluminum?

John K Jordan
05-07-2015, 11:20 PM
We use a variety of end mills made for steel, brass, and aluminum to mill hardwoods, plastic, etc.