PDA

View Full Version : Another question about my old shaper

Tony Zona
05-07-2015, 5:05 PM
Thanks to the help from you folks, I located cutters for my old Delta shaper. One is on the way to me so that I can try it.

The previous thread is here.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?230486-Which-one-or-two-shaper-cutters-would-you-have&p=2410384&highlight=#post2410384

Here is the next question. You can tell I am new to running my own shaper.

The cutter is a half-inch and quarter-inch right-hand round-over. I am assuming the cutter has to be flipped on the spindle to cut one of the radii, and once flipped the motor must be reversed. Is my assumption correct? And, of course, the work feed direction would be reversed also. Correct?

This motor will reverse direction, but then how will I be sure the mounting nuts will not loosen while the machine is running? The spindle only has one nut on each end. Will I have to double-nut it?

(These things are dangerous enough without a person using it incorrectly.)

Mark Wooden
05-07-2015, 7:32 PM
You're correct about changing rotation if flipping the cutter, as well as feed direction, but if it’s the cutter I’m thinking of, you don't have to; one profile cuts the top right edge, the other the lower right edge when running the shaper in counter clockwise rotation. You have to raise or lower the cutter.
Does your spindle have a keyway milled on it? That's for a toothed washer that prevents the cutter from loosening the nut when running CW. You can double nut it also, but I've seen that loosen.

Tony Zona
05-10-2015, 7:50 PM
A brand spanking new round-over cutter showed up yesterday. Experimenting today for a short while showed me this little shaper will do a good job.

I think I'm going to like it. I rounded over all the scraps I could find, both pine and oak. It went very well. :)

The two-inch cutter touched the removable cover. I think with a little lathe work I should be able to take enough off of the aluminum plate to free things up.

I just wonder why I did not get on here earlier and ask some questions.

Thanks again to all who directed me.