PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut Platter

Kelvin Burton
05-07-2015, 12:15 AM
This platter was made from a huge load of walnut I got from my bosses husband. He had to fell two walnut trees to make way for a new workshop. Rather than see any of this wood end up in a burn pile my friend and I hauled away far more wood than either of us can use! 15.5" by 2.5" and finished with WOP, this will be a gift to them for their generosity.

Comments & critiques welcome!

Doug Herzberg
05-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Love that walnut. Very nice, Kevin.

Thom Sturgill
05-07-2015, 7:30 AM
Love black walnut. Beautiful job and sure to be appreciated!

Bob Bergstrom
05-07-2015, 9:08 AM
Well done. A great example of beautiful clean lines and form without the need on embellishment. It doesn't get any better.

Thomas Canfield
05-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Very nice. Simple design like the little black sheath dress that catches your eye.

David C. Roseman
05-10-2015, 1:07 PM
This is stunning! Very nice job, Kelvin!

Bill White
05-10-2015, 2:20 PM
Love the shape, and I really like working with walnut as well.
Bill

Randy Red Bemont
05-10-2015, 3:50 PM
Very nice. It will be a great gift.

Red

Thomas Canfield
05-10-2015, 10:30 PM
This platter was made from a huge load of walnut I got from my bosses husband. He had to fell two walnut trees to make way for a new workshop. Rather than see any of this wood end up in a burn pile my friend and I hauled away far more wood than either of us can use!
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Comments & critiques welcome!

I did not comment earlier, but you are supposed to share and trade your bounty with other turners. I know that I have an open invitation for anyone coming by my shop that they have to take some wood with them. My wood supply keeps building from "found" wood locally, and taking wood to night club meeting does not seem to get my truck cleaned out like it did in Tyler.

Wes Ramsey
05-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Beautiful piece, Kelvin! Just noticed that you are in Van, TX. Hope you and yours weathered the storm unscathed yesterday.

Kelvin Burton
05-11-2015, 8:35 PM
Beautiful piece, Kelvin! Just noticed that you are in Van, TX. Hope you and yours weathered the storm unscathed yesterday.

Wes, we were very fortunate, some leakage from the 6 hours of torrential rain but the tornado missed us by approx. 1 mile. People on the other side of town were not so fortunate :mad:

Kelvin Burton
05-11-2015, 8:38 PM
I did not comment earlier, but you are supposed to share and trade your bounty with other turners. I know that I have an open invitation for anyone coming by my shop that they have to take some wood with them. My wood supply keeps building from "found" wood locally, and taking wood to night club meeting does not seem to get my truck cleaned out like it did in Tyler.

Tom, I offered but no-one responded. I've found a lot of enthusiasm if I deliver it cut and sealed but a whole lot less if they have to come and collect it from the source. So I just use it for trades when I hear of someone who wants walnut. I'm more than willing to share but it can't be all one sided all the time.