PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw Outfeed / Assembly Table / Drawer Unit

glenn bradley
05-06-2015, 9:21 PM
I have been in serious percolation for a couple of years on a new outfeed table. I stole, borrowed, morphed or thought up everything that I thought was important in an outfeed table but, there were always more ideas than were practical in a single unit (or one for my shop size).

ShopNotes issue 124 had an assembly table article with a top designed for clamping. This made the last piece fall into place for me. I managed to use up the last of the "shop grade" ply I had laying around. The "important" parts are all BB ply and I made the false fronts for the drawers and the pulls out of re-saw leftovers from projects gone by.

313079 . 313078

Two fixed and two double-locking swivel casters make it mobile for assembly table duty. The top is removable and the attachment positions match the dog hole pattern on my workbench in case I want an elevated clamping platform.

The top is just a modified version of the ShopNotes article I mentioned. The dog holes, slots and overhanging edges yield the many clamping options I have been after.

313080 . 313082

The ten drawers hold more than the unit it replaces and it has a smaller overall footprint so, I think it is going to work out.

Lori Kleinberg
05-06-2015, 9:36 PM
Glenn, that came out really good. I wish I had space for it.

Frederick Skelly
05-06-2015, 9:53 PM
That's a great cabinet/table Glenn. I wish I had room. I'd try to copy yours. It should be great to use!
Fred

George Bokros
05-06-2015, 10:11 PM
That is awesome. Wish I had room for one like that.

glenn bradley
05-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys. My shop is at maximum capacity. Nothing comes in unless something of equal displacement leaves. The top is 33-1/2" x 48" but, could be scaled to your space to some extent. Due to how I run my duct behind the tablesaw, this unit doesn't stick out any more than the 24" x 60" table it replaced. By eliminating that inefficient fixture and another drawer unit that the drawers in this will replace, I actually end up with more free space ;-)

Art Mann
05-07-2015, 1:57 PM
That is probably the nicest outfeed table I have ever seen.

Britt Lifsey
05-07-2015, 4:14 PM
That's very nice. I need to checkout the ShopNotes issue and steal some of your ideas :)

Do the screw knobs on the top just secure it in place or do they provide leveling ability to align with TS?

glenn bradley
05-07-2015, 4:40 PM
That's very nice. I need to checkout the ShopNotes issue and steal some of your ideas :)

Do the screw knobs on the top just secure it in place or do they provide leveling ability to align with TS?

I think they will end up primarily securing it to the base but, you can see that I left enough threads (that's why the arched openings for the knobs) for just that purpose. It is easy to loosen the knobs and insert strips of hardboard to level or angle the top a bit.

A very adjustable top height/angle was one of the ideas that went by the wayside. This does not mean that this ability would not be a "keeper" for someone else. My maximum adjustment is only about an inch or so but, that will take care of anything in my shop. I'll know in a few months if it was worth the bother or not :D.

Britt Lifsey
05-07-2015, 8:05 PM
Thanks. Shims sound like a good plan. I wouldn't think you would need to adjust very often...just get that perfect outfeed height and you should be good until you rearrange shop :)

Kent A Bathurst
05-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Glenn - way cool.

What is the material on the top of the table? Looks like masonite?? Any varnish or wax to fight glue drips?

glenn bradley
05-08-2015, 1:03 PM
Glenn - way cool.

What is the material on the top of the table? Looks like masonite?? Any varnish or wax to fight glue drips?

You nailed it cold Kent. Tempered hardboard, smooth both sides, with a very light shellac to seal things where I routed the chamfers and a coat of paste wax. both easily renewable. I have made things with replaceable hardboard tops in the past and end up never replacing them; they just last and last. This one is laminated on. If something hits it hard enough to make it unusable, I'll just make another one :D

william watts
05-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Glenn, that the nicest out feed-storage-clamp table I've seen, good multi use of space. I am wondering if when its used as an out feed table if it connected to the table saw to keep it stationary. Perhaps a clamp or hooks, or if the locking casters are enough to keep it stationary?

glenn bradley
05-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Glenn, that the nicest out feed-storage-clamp table I've seen, good multi use of space. I am wondering if when its used as an out feed table if it connected to the table saw to keep it stationary. Perhaps a clamp or hooks, or if the locking casters are enough to keep it stationary?

So far the locking casters have been fine. The swivel casters dual lock; rotation and swivel. I got mine from Peachtree but, Woodcraft sells similar units. I picked up a few sets over the years at shows or when a good sale is going on so I have them when I need them. The regular retail price on them is a bit steep IMHO. Maybe I'm just cheap :)

I am fortunate in that my garage floor is reasonably level with just the usual tilt toward the door. The tablesaw (and therefor the outfeed) are in line with the door as a car would be if pulling in. This lets all four casters set solidly. When I use it for assembly I am sometimes at a 45* angle to the door. In this case I just push a wooden door shim under one wheel to make is stable and then lock the casters like normal.

Marion Smith
05-24-2015, 2:55 PM
I hereby declare this "The Excalibur" Outfeed/Assembly/Drawer Unit.
I see one very similar in my new shop for sure!

David Ragan
05-26-2015, 2:37 PM
Very nice. Wish I had the room, the table, and most of the equipment.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2015, 6:29 PM
Very nice Glenn! I am building one but it's not as nice as that!

Steve Kinnaird
06-07-2015, 9:21 PM
That is sweet!
I have plans to build a dual purpose out-feed table for my shop.
I will definitely be stealing a lot if not all of your ideas :D