PDA

View Full Version : Its rust hunting time!

Judson Green
05-06-2015, 7:13 PM
At a small garage sale on Sunday and picked up these oxidized gems. Got the lot for $40. Not too bad, but not great.

A early Stanley 7 (low knob and before frog adjusters rallied for a better way of life)... don't know my type study sorry. Has a decent iron but not a Stanley. Its been around the block a few times (almost all of its japanning is gone) but will be a worker for sure. Has a hang hole in the tail of the plane.

313064 313065 313076313067

And a Sargent 18c. In very good condition (nearly all of its japanning and the edge where the sole meets the sides is almost sharp) except for the busted casting on the frog where the depth adjuster yoke is attached :mad:... Didn't notice this till I got it home. Has original iron. These are beefy planes.

313068 313069 313070

Judson Green
05-06-2015, 7:19 PM
And a Miller Falls #9, a smoother. Had a Stanley sweet hart iron for a number 3 in it, I swapped it out for a Stanley size for a 4.

313071 313072 313073

And a Stanley made in England 151

Here's the lot.

Jim Koepke
05-06-2015, 8:03 PM
Actually $40 for all of that isn't bad.

The #7 is a type 9 for all I can see. (2 patent dates)

To bad about the Sargent frog. It isn't likely an easy one to find. That looks to be the Shaw's patent frog design. (this is similar to the Bedrock design, some feel it is better than the Bedrock.)

Not sure if there is a way to repair what you have, but it would be worth a try if you can't find a replacement.

jtk

John McBride
05-06-2015, 9:14 PM
Let me be the first to say......you suck.

I never....repeat NEVER run across deals like this.

Excellent find(s).....very well played.

steven c newman
05-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Well now, looks like you are all set to go and do some trading.....right?

Frederick Skelly
05-07-2015, 7:00 AM
Good finds Judson! I have an MF #9 and it's a nice tool that takes very thin shavings. I'd keep watch for a replacement frog for the 18c - be a shame not to use her!

Judson Green
05-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Actually $40 for all of that isn't bad.

The #7 is a type 9 for all I can see. (2 patent dates)

To bad about the Sargent frog. It isn't likely an easy one to find. That looks to be the Shaw's patent frog design. (this is similar to the Bedrock design, some feel it is better than the Bedrock.)

Not sure if there is a way to repair what you have, but it would be worth a try if you can't find a replacement.

jtk

I'm gonna try a ugly blob of JB weld, the putty stuff. Figure it's broken and has really no value the way it is and if another frog came across my path well.... just swap it out.

And I don't have a 6 size plane in my hanger so I wanna see what all the hype is about. Probably gonna be a keeper.

Dave Beauchesne
05-07-2015, 1:07 PM
Judson:

I had a Sargent frog that was broken, and I put a WTB in the Classified section with the details - I can't recall the SMCer that helped me out, but I got a replacement for a reasonable price.

Nice finds -

Dave B

Judson Green
05-07-2015, 1:48 PM
Yeah I'll have to keep that in mind. But first I'll see how the JB weld holds up.

Couldn't get the pin to slide into place with out removing it from the yoke. Then it seemed like the casting that was left on the frog might be enough to hold the pin in place. Hopefully this little fix will work.

Stew Denton
05-07-2015, 9:34 PM
Judson,

+1 on what John, Jim, and the others have said. Forty bucks for all of those....wow!

Hope your JB Weld will hold. One thought, I think I would have just put it on one side first, then use what was left of the holder on the other side to serve as a guide for drilling the hole, then gob up the first side and use the hole you drilled earlier for a guide for drilling the 2nd hole. You probably did that, but I thought to throw in my 2 cents.

Any rate, you did extremely well I think. If the JB Weld doesn't hold up, you might watch for another frog on Ebay. My experience at watching for non-Stanley plane parts is that they do come up once in a while, but you have to watch for a long time some of the time.

Stew