PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that dangerous to machine Corian?

Brian Elfert
05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
I've seen some posts that Corian dust is extremely hazardous and one should have a fresh air supplied respirator when machining it. I want to cut and route a small piece of Corian. If I use a full face respirator will that be good enough?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2015, 12:23 PM
I hope so Brian. I turned a couple pens for a former manager of mine. He was a West Point graduate and carried those 2 pens in to Iraq and Afghanistan when he got recalled. The corian matched his desert camos and I used a gun metal finish pen which didn't glare so as not to make him a target.

Tom Walz
05-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Search Google "working with Corian safety" and you will find a DuPont paper.

Basically you will want to wear a respirator for safety but also because the fine dust is a real nuisance.

There is a lot of research yet to be done on how easily dust gets in the lungs and what damage it causes.

John McClanahan
05-06-2015, 1:55 PM
It creates dust like working with MDF.

John

Peter Kelly
05-06-2015, 5:25 PM
I've seen some posts that Corian dust is extremely hazardous and one should have a fresh air supplied respirator when machining it. I want to cut and route a small piece of Corian. If I use a full face respirator will that be good enough?Corian can release methyl methacrylate and/or butyl acrylate when being machined. Regular organic compound respirator cartridges with NIOSH particulate filters should be fine. A full-face downdraft respirator really wouldn't be necessary for one small project.

bill tindall
05-06-2015, 8:02 PM
The piddly amount of methyl methacrylate that may be released is not the issue, it is dust and lots of it.

Curt Harms
05-07-2015, 10:19 AM
The piddly amount of methyl methacrylate that may be released is not the issue, it is dust and lots of it.

If you're sanding, I guess. I found routing it the chips stick to everything. I did some routing in the kitchen - had to do it in-place and you want to talk about a mess :D. It cleaned up fine though and with dust collection on the sanders there was little or no fine dust beyond the immediate area.

Keith Outten
05-07-2015, 12:22 PM
I take the same precautions when machining Corian as I do with any lumber or sheet stock.