PDA

View Full Version : Cutters for stanley 45

Brian Hale
05-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Is there a source for cutters other than ebay? I just bought the 45 that was for sale in the classified but there are no cutters. Brian :)

Robert Engel
05-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Not that I know of. Try St James Bay Tool Co.
I picked up a complete set on Ebay for around $50 as I recall.
You may have to bite the "Ebay bullet".

Jim Koepke
05-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Found an old set in an antique store many years ago.

If you can't get a set from the usual vendors like Patrick Leach and some others, ebay may be your best bet, especially if you are looking for a full set.

I just looked for some of the others and it appears some of them are no longer around.

jtk

Brian Hale
05-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys! At the risk of proving how little I know about this plane, how many cutters would a complete set have?

Jim Koepke
05-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys! At the risk of proving how little I know about this plane, how many cutters would a complete set have?

That depends on when the plane was made. Originally in 1884 it came with 17 blades/cutters. As time went on it gained more blades until it reached 23 if my memory is working.

There are also 'special cutters' that are difficult to find.

There is a more information on the Stanley #45 here:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm

jtk

Tom M King
05-06-2015, 1:43 PM
Record 044C cutters work just fine in 45's and 55's too.

Charles Bjorgen
05-06-2015, 2:13 PM
Unless you're absolutely certain you want a complete set of cutters for your 45, I would not hesitate to recommend New Hampshire Plane Parts on eBay. He almost always lists cutters every day. An example, today there is a complete set of 45/55 beading cutters for about $30. Or you can buy them individually. My own approach was to buy them individually as needed. Then I found a complete 45 at a good price and my search ended. I do seem to recall seeing complete cutter sets being sold on the bay without the plane but that doesn't come up very often.

Jim Koepke
05-06-2015, 2:39 PM
There are different ways that people list blades (cutters or irons) for the Stanley 45.

Searching:

Stanley 45 cutter = the most results

Stanley 45 blade = less results

Stanley 45 iron = less results

Many will only include one of the terms in their listing, so searching all three will find redundant listings, but they will also find some less searched listings.

jtk

Brian Hale
05-07-2015, 5:14 AM
Thanks for all your input! I did some more searching last night and it looks like the bay is going to be the best resource. I should get the plane in the next few days and once I have it in hand I'll start looking in earnest. This is one of those purchases that i don't have a need for at this time but once i get it tuned up I can start looking for uses. Kinda backwards but hey, that's me :) Brian

Jim Belair
05-07-2015, 7:00 AM
Lee Valley plow plane cutters will fit. They're shorter so you have about 3/8" of cutter life, which is lots on a plow blade.

Brian Hale
05-07-2015, 7:36 AM
Lee Valley plow plane cutters will fit. They're shorter so you have about 3/8" of cutter life, which is lots on a plow blade.That's way to easy....... For Christmas this year i got the LV plow plane with the full set of imperial cutters so all I'll need are the beading and fluting cutters. So CoolBrian :)

Jim Koepke
05-07-2015, 10:59 AM
The fluting cutters are difficult for the full set. Most of what are listed on ebay are actually from the four that came stock with a Stanley #55. The full set has eight.

Many of the blades for the #55 are the same as the blades from a #45.

jtk