PDA

View Full Version : Router Plane

Phil Mueller
05-05-2015, 1:32 PM
Just received a medium Veritas router plane. Tried it out thinning a few tenons. What a great tool. Beats the heck out of bench chisels, files, and sandpaper! I'm already thinking through a number of other uses. Aren't new toys fun :)

Jim Koepke
05-05-2015, 3:49 PM
Aren't new toys fun

Yes, even when they are a century old "new toy."

jtk

James Pallas
05-05-2015, 4:20 PM
The multi tool of planes. You will find all kinds of things to do with a router. You will quickly find you need more then one. Great new toy.
Jim

Malcolm Schweizer
05-05-2015, 4:26 PM
I do love my router plane. I have the large and intend to get the medium as well. I use it to clean out mortices, but when I read your post I thought maybe you meant mortices instead of tenons. It prompted me to go to the Google University of Higher Learning first, and found this tutorial. http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters/Woodworking/2/2/article1-3.htm Hmmm, I have not tried this, so I won't knock it yet, but I have always just sawn to the line and then used a shoulder plane, skewed rabbet plane, or chisel to adjust (depending on size of tenon). I do see the merit of having an adjustable depth and getting a centered tenon.

It certainly is a very versatile tool, often overlooked and probably underrated.

Bill Houghton
05-05-2015, 4:27 PM
The multi tool of planes. You will find all kinds of things to do with a router. You will quickly find you need more then one. Great new toy.
Jim

Good - so I don't have to feel bad about having six?

Kent A Bathurst
05-05-2015, 5:55 PM
Yes, even when they are a century old "new toy."

jtk

Bwahhhh!! Maker's Mark all over the monitor. Thanks a lot, Jim. ;)

James Pallas
05-05-2015, 6:51 PM
It appears that this whole thread may be loaded, may as well join in with a little Knob Creek. And a famous quote "No one can have just one". That goes for planes and the other as well.
Jim

Robert Engel
05-05-2015, 7:15 PM
They're great tools. I've got my eye on the LV.

Caution on tenons, though: you're trimming both sides differently most of the time, so I just use them for levelling, not fine tuning the tenon.
Shoulder plane/rabbet plane still the best for that.

Harold Burrell
05-05-2015, 8:55 PM
They're great tools. I've got my eye on the LV.

Caution on tenons, though: you're trimming both sides differently most of the time, so I just use them for levelling, not fine tuning the tenon.
Shoulder plane/rabbet plane still the best for that.

I don't mean to hijack the thread...but how would using a shoulder or rabbet plane be more accurate on tenons than a router?

Howard Skillington
05-05-2015, 9:03 PM
I hadn't thought of using a router plane to dial in tenons, either, but a LV team guy showed me this trick at WIA in Winston-Salem last fall. As soon as he did I could see that it was the best way to go.

Shawn Pixley
05-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Okay, Maybe I am the odd one out, but I have been using the router plane like that for years. I use the shoulder plane, well, for shoulders. But there are many good ways. to each their own.

Enjoy the router plane. They are great!

Megan Fitzpatrick
05-06-2015, 1:08 PM
Good - so I don't have to feel bad about having six?

I now feel smug about having only three. Thank you! (The router plane is – no hyperbole – my favorite tool.)

Jim Koepke
05-06-2015, 1:23 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread...but how would using a shoulder or rabbet plane be more accurate on tenons than a router?

What may have been intended was more a caution about how getting the tenon centered may not work if the mortise is slightly off center.

When it gets to the point of removing a scant amount from a shaving the shoulder, rabbet or even a chisel is easier to control over a wider area than a router plane with a half inch blade.

Of course, ymmv.

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
05-06-2015, 4:46 PM

I don't think they are.

But - If I need to trim a skootch off of a tenon face, I'll be done and gone by the time the router gets set up and in place.

On the shoulder plane - you need to tune up a shoulder............Not sure how to attempt that on a router.

If you mean "cut the tenon in the first place" - well, different kettle of fish. I don't use routers to cut Ms or Ts.

Harold Burrell
05-06-2015, 10:20 PM
If you mean "cut the tenon in the first place" - well, different kettle of fish. I don't use routers to cut Ms or Ts.

Okay...now I'm really confused. You M & T fish???

Kent A Bathurst
05-07-2015, 12:50 AM

:D
I should have said "a different fly in the Camellia oil" ?

Hilton Ralphs
05-07-2015, 1:57 AM
On the shoulder plane - you need to tune up a shoulder............

You could however Tuna Fish.

ken hatch
05-07-2015, 7:36 AM
I now feel smug about having only three. Thank you! (The router plane is – no hyperbole – my favorite tool.)

Large, medium, and small? But shouldn't you have at least 2 of each and wouldn't three be better? :)

BTW, I'm a router plane piker, only one of each.

ken

Harold Burrell
05-07-2015, 9:30 AM
You could however Tuna Fish.

And with that...if you will excuse me...I think I will go jump off a cliff.

James Pallas
05-07-2015, 9:49 AM
I think I've got it now. If you want to M&T a tuna fish you have to do it with a router plane while jumping over a cliff, sounds reasonable to me. Too funny, but a great way to start the day with a smile.
Jim

Judson Green
05-07-2015, 9:53 AM
But - If I need to trim a skootch off of a tenon face, I'll be done and gone by the time the router gets set up and in place.
I don't use routers to cut Ms or Ts.

I think I'm gonna kick myself for jumping in here, but you realize the topic is about router planes not the obnoxious high speed whirling spindle of an electric router?

Megan Fitzpatrick
05-07-2015, 10:34 AM
I _ should_ have at least two of each – one set for home, another for work. I don't actually have a medium, though...I have a large LV, small LN and mini LV (good for stringing...and it's as cute as a bug's ear).

Kent A Bathurst
05-07-2015, 11:54 AM
I think I'm gonna kick myself for jumping in here, but you realize the topic is about router planes not the obnoxious high speed whirling spindle of an electric router?

Harold brought up the router, not me brudda.............

Pedro Reyes
05-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Not sure why I'm jumping into this Tuna pond...

I don't think Harold meant Routers (as in a Porter cable, much less Netgear), I think he meant router plane.

Even if your tenon is not centered, Router Planes help in making the cheeks parallel to the faces of the board, which I understand experienced and pros can do this with a rabbet plane, shoulder plane (should we call it shoulder cheek plane?), chisel, knife, piece of glass and by mere power of the force. Still a cool tool, the router is.

Pedro

Harold Burrell
05-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Harold brought up the router, not me brudda.............

I know for a fact, Harold meant router plane. :cool: