PDA

View Full Version : NOVA 8012 Infnity Super Infinity Quick Change Chuck

Edward Weingarden
05-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Anyone using this chuck? What are your impressions? Thanks.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-05-2015, 4:17 PM
I'll offer my $0.02. I don't own one and the reason is the price. I rather have (and I do have) multiple chucks and swap chucks vice jaws. A fellow turner does have a quick change jaw chuck and PERSONALLY, I can see no reason for QC jaws vice swapping out the whole chuck. I would guess that it will be cheaper to buy a QC chuck and lots of jaws since jaws run cheaper than the chuck. But you need to buy the QC mounts for the jaws as well. Or swap mounts, which amounts to swapping jaws on the chuck. It really is a slick setup, and works well. If you have the whole jaw assortment, and need to swap jaws a lot, that could end up saving some money.

Stan Smith
05-05-2015, 4:30 PM
I'll offer my $0.02. I don't own one and the reason is the price. I rather have (and I do have) multiple chucks and swap chucks vice jaws. A fellow turner does have a quick change jaw chuck and PERSONALLY, I can see no reason for QC jaws vice swapping out the whole chuck. I would guess that it will be cheaper to buy a QC chuck and lots of jaws since jaws run cheaper than the chuck. But you need to buy the QC mounts for the jaws as well. Or swap mounts, which amounts to swapping jaws on the chuck. It really is a slick setup, and works well. If you have the whole jaw assortment, and need to swap jaws a lot, that could end up saving some money.

Hi Kyle. I've done things in reverse. The chucks I bought were Oneway, Talon, Vicmarc, and Easy chucks. At the time I bought the Vicmarc, the Easy chuck was $500. I got mine on sale later for $320. I don't recommend doing it my way. The problem with this stuff is that new innovations come up that can improve work methods and make them easier. I will admit that being a little lazy does assist in making quicker decisions to acquire the innovations. :)

Geoff Whaling
05-05-2015, 4:47 PM
Anyone using this chuck? What are your impressions? Thanks.

Edward have a good look at the design of the quick release mechanism and a good read of the manual especially the cautions in "Additional Safety Rules" on page 6 - #21

"DO NOT TURN IN REVERSE. Do not use this chuck for reverse turning operations, light reverse operations i.e. sanding are allowed. Speed not above 2000 rpm."

http://nebula.wsimg.com/0caa294ae595865d03d0f8f821c87de9?AccessKeyId=D2C57 FC221DAD3E5F11A&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

With modern lathes almost all being fitted with EVS and capable of "reverse" (clockwise rotation) I'm surprised that a manufacturer would create a new product that is not compatible with "reverse turning" or clockwise rotation. If you turn outboard the chuck is effectively in "reverse turning" mode.

I know for a fact that I can strip a whole chuck in under six minutes so I don't think much about their time saving claims, but then I maintain my chucks.

Thom Sturgill
05-05-2015, 5:05 PM
I currently have one main lathe that I use and four chucks. I plan on purchasing a second lathe primarily for doll house items and finials. My Jet is 1 1/4" spindle, this lathe has 1". I have 4 SN2 chucks.

I plan to 'permanently' change the inserts on two of the chucks to fit the new lathe. One chuck on each will be dedicated to #2 jaws. The other and chucks and most jaws will be modified to use the quick change mechanism. There are a couple of jaw sets that do not make sense for the smaller lathe, so I may add an additional chuck body to use on the Jet. I think that will give me the best bang for the buck. The infinity line also includes dedicated jaws that appear to be heavier than their 'standard' counterparts.

Joe Bradshaw
05-05-2015, 7:45 PM
Edward, I have Oneway Talons for each of my smaller lathes. I like to have two with the #2 jaws, one with the #3 jaws and one with the spigot jaws. I really dislike changing out jaws or inserts.
Joe

Trevor Mills
05-05-2015, 9:00 PM
I've had one for a few months and so far I love it. I can change jaws literally in seconds and without even taking the chuck off the lathe. I do bowls so 2000 RPM is plenty for me, and while they don't recommend it for turning, it is fine to run in reverse for light duty work such as sanding. (which is pretty much the only time I use reverse anyway)
Trevor

Edward Weingarden
05-05-2015, 10:41 PM
For the limited number of times I anticipate changing jaws during a project, I have to agree with those that cannot justify the higher cost. With that in mind, my next question is...I'm now looking at the Supernova 2 which appears to have a smooth/non-dovetailed surface/shape to the jaws it comes with. Does the smooth surface provide enough holding strength so that the wood block does not slip in the jaws? Thanks.

Reed Gray
05-06-2015, 12:11 AM
From Stuart Batty at the Oregon Woodturning Symposium, "The difference between British turners and American turners is that a British turner will have one chuck with 10 sets of jaws, and an American turner will have 10 chucks with 10 different sets of jaws"..... I may investigate one of these new quick change chucks some time. Might have to wear out my Vicmarks first...

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
05-06-2015, 7:06 AM
For the limited number of times I anticipate changing jaws during a project, I have to agree with those that cannot justify the higher cost. With that in mind, my next question is...I'm now looking at the Supernova 2 which appears to have a smooth/non-dovetailed surface/shape to the jaws it comes with. Does the smooth surface provide enough holding strength so that the wood block does not slip in the jaws? Thanks.

The default jaws have a slight ridge or lip near the edge. This is not a dovetail and the tenon should not be cut with a relief cut. This is supposed to crush into the wood of the tenon. I have never had problems with the SN2 jaws holding. That said, the 3" bowl jaws have a true dovetail as do the 4" and the 3" (outside) is the same size inside as the 2". Nova has a wide range of jaws available for the SN2.

Edward Weingarden
05-06-2015, 7:28 AM
Thanks Thom.

Michael Mills
05-06-2015, 8:43 AM
I should not reply since I do not have the Supernova2 Infinity. I do have a combo of seven Novas including Supernova2's.
If a first or maybe second chuck I think it is a good value. If you already have multiple chucks it would be expensive to upgrade and in my case I still couldn't upgrade my SN's.

It is available from Tools-plus for $199 with free shipping ($40 more than the SN2).
http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-8012.html
Yes, Teknatool calls it the "Supernova2 Infinity Chuck" though most places just call it the Infinity.
http://www.novainfinitychuck.com/company.html

The jaws selection seems very good.

jeff oldham
05-09-2015, 9:57 AM
I'm a new at woodturning and I ask alot of questions on here myself but I went with the infinity chuck system and so far I like it alot;;;I can change the jaws quicker than you can swap out the chuck for another one;;;it is costly for the jaws but I figure when you add up the price for having 4 different chucks;;it works out to about the same and like it has been said;;;you can change the jaws in about 20 seconds;;;if you have doubts;;;buy it from amazon;;;they have a no question ask return policy;;;just my 2 cents worth;;;lol