PDA

View Full Version : My new popcorn bowl.

Rick Gibson
05-05-2015, 10:50 AM
My neighbour took down a walnut tree about a year ago. I managed to save a little of the wood from the fireplace. Wall thickness is a little less than 1/4 inch it's intended to be used not sit on a shelf. Allen Tyler did a video on utube about the time I rough turned the bowl and he sealed it with white wood glue. Since I had lots of that and nothing else I gave it a try. No cracks even around the knots. I think this is my 5th bowl mostly pens up till now. Finished with WOP.

312970 312971

daryl moses
05-05-2015, 1:17 PM
Very nice!!

David Delo
05-05-2015, 1:39 PM
Some very interesting grain patterns in that walnut Rick. Looking good.

Doug Ladendorf
05-05-2015, 1:47 PM
Yes great patterns in the wood and the shape should be perfect for popcorn. Can you tell us a bit more about the white glue for sealing? Did you thin like sizing? How applied? Did it change the color at all? How was sanding?

Rick Gibson
05-05-2015, 3:01 PM
Yes great patterns in the wood and the shape should be perfect for popcorn. Can you tell us a bit more about the white glue for sealing? Did you thin like sizing? How applied? Did it change the color at all? How was sanding?

I thinned it slightly with water then just applied it with an acid brush. I then just let it sit until it stopped losing weight (took close to a year) and finish turned it. the first bit was like turning stone but after the layer of wood with the glue was off it was just normal walnut.

Brian Myers
05-05-2015, 5:31 PM
Beautiful wood but how big is it ?

Steve Huffman
05-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Just flat out beautiful wood! Nice work Rick

Rick Gibson
05-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Beautiful wood but how big is it ?

Sorry should have included that. Bowl is about 255mm wide x 85 mm high. Thats 10 x 3.3 inches.

Thom Sturgill
05-06-2015, 12:44 PM
The glue should make an effective seal for the endgrain. Not as easy to clean up as wax or anchor seal, but effective.
Very nice bowl. I would like to see a bit more curve on the bottom, but that's just me. I've seen straight sided bowls sell where better looking ones just sat on the shelf.... (Not mine, I have just started trying to sell)

Jak Kelly
05-06-2015, 1:37 PM
Very nice!!!

Stan Smith
05-06-2015, 3:25 PM
I wish I could do one that good. Will the popcorn salt hurt the finish? I don't mean this to be snarky since I'm a really big popcorn fan. Of course, one could always apply the salt after taking out a smaller bowl. Just sayin....

Rick Gibson
05-06-2015, 6:06 PM
I wish I could do one that good. Will the popcorn salt hurt the finish? I don't mean this to be snarky since I'm a really big popcorn fan. Of course, one could always apply the salt after taking out a smaller bowl. Just sayin....
Never really thought about it, I suppose if I pressed hard to get that last little bit of salt it might scratch it. It will be rinsed out and wiped dry as soon as I am finished with it so the salt won't sit that long and with the low sodium diet I'm on I don't use that much anyway. Worse comes to worse I can always remount it in a jam chuck and refinish.

Brian Myers
05-06-2015, 7:20 PM
Sorry should have included that. Bowl is about 255mm wide x 85 mm high. Thats 10 x 3.3 inches.

Personally that maybe a little small for a popcorn bowl. Mine is roughly that size and popcorn tends to just get away from the bowl. Popcorn like ice cream, the bigger the bowl, the better. :rolleyes: It is a beautiful bowl though.

Grant Wilkinson
05-07-2015, 7:44 AM
Very fine, Rick.

Rick Gibson
05-07-2015, 9:35 AM
Personally that maybe a little small for a popcorn bowl. Mine is roughly that size and popcorn tends to just get away from the bowl. Popcorn like ice cream, the bigger the bowl, the better. :rolleyes: It is a beautiful bowl though.

You might be right. If it turns out to be to small I'll just make a bigger one I have a box elder bowl waiting to be finish turned that's a couple inches bigger. If worse comes to worse I could always use this as a salad bowl although it's much to big for that.:)

Stan Smith
05-08-2015, 1:22 PM
Never really thought about it, I suppose if I pressed hard to get that last little bit of salt it might scratch it. It will be rinsed out and wiped dry as soon as I am finished with it so the salt won't sit that long and with the low sodium diet I'm on I don't use that much anyway. Worse comes to worse I can always remount it in a jam chuck and refinish.

Shouldn't be any problem with rinsing and drying. I'm using WOP on the church communion chalice that I'm very close to finishing. I've been told that wine is okay if it's rinsed and dried right away. I also read that I should let it "cure" for at least 30 days before use. YMMV.