PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer Router Bits

Mark W Pugh
05-05-2015, 8:52 AM
I'm looking for a good set of chamfer router bits. I was looking at these, http://www.infinitytools.com/5-Pc-Chamfer-Router-Bit-Set/productinfo/00%2D365/

Any comments, or other sets to be looked at?

Thanks

Charles Taylor
05-05-2015, 9:13 AM
I have other bits by Infinity, and I'm happy with their quality. My other go-to brand is Whiteside. Amana and CMT Orange Tools are excellent too, and at least one of these other makers sells a chamfer bit set.

Keith Hankins
05-05-2015, 12:30 PM
I have some infinity bits and they are ok. My top line and go-to first is Whiteside hands down. I needed a large bit for that very curt, and that bit was well made and lots of carbide.

Tom Walz
05-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Whiteside makes chamfer router bits.

They don't have a set as such but Jo, in customer service here, says you can pick out the ones you want and she will make you a deal.

You already get 10% off for being smart enough to be a Creeker. I would think maybe a 20% total discount

Jo
Carbide Processors
800 346-8274
emgt@carbideprocessors.com

Tom Ewell
05-05-2015, 10:15 PM
I recall reading somewhere (can't seem to find it again) that Whiteside and Eagle premiums are one and the same. Could be just internet gossip, don't know.
I do have the Eagle chamfer set and several Whiteside sets/bits and find them very close.

scott spencer
05-06-2015, 5:26 AM
Infinity and Whiteside are my top bits. I consider them pretty comparable overall, so I can't imagine you being disappointed with that set.

Mark W Pugh
05-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Just ordered Whiteside bits from Carbide Processors. Just read above. Got back to me immediately with my questions. Waiting for the bits to show. Outstanding so far.

Curt Harms
05-07-2015, 9:58 AM
You already get 10% off for being smart enough to be a Creeker. I would think maybe a 20% total discount

Jo
Carbide Processors
800 346-8274
emgt@carbideprocessors.com

That made me smile, Tom. Good job.

Tom Walz
05-07-2015, 2:23 PM
Dear Mr. Pugh:

First, thank you for your order. There are many good router bits in the world but none are better than Whiteside.

Mr. Harms:

I am glad I gave you a smile. However we consider it to be absolutely true. We rely on Sawmill Creek a great deal in our product selection process. The demographic analysis of woodworkers shows them to be more intelligent than average, upper income and well educated. Judging by the reviews of tools, explanations of techniques and general conversation there is no doubt that that analysis applies here.

Whiteside does not do more sets because the boxes add to the cost. US made boxes add several dollars and they don't want to use foreign made anything. Besides this is a group that is highly capable of making a box if they want a box.

Tom

Alan Schaffter
05-08-2015, 12:04 AM
As you know, you have a better chance of getting perfect bevels using a precision-ground router bit instead of a table saw. However, unless you spline the joint, you can have a difficult time clamping the pieces together. Maybe someday there will be bevel bits on the market that solve this issue.

I came up with a new design for (inter)locking bevel (miter) bits that can be used to make multi-sided boxes. While other angles are possible I think a set of five bits that can be used to make 5, 6, 8 (22.5°), 10, and 12-sided boxes and similar applications might be desirable. With the possible exception of Sommerfelds set, as far as I know, the only locking bevel (miter) bits out there are for 90° and 45° joints. The popular 45° lock miter bit (for 90° joints) can be a pain to set up if you don't have something like Infinity's Lock Miter Master setup jig. Two-bit sets (like Sommerfeld's) are needed to make 45° and other angle lock miter joints.

My designs require only one bit (for each angle). Setup is simple and easy, too- you set bit height for the first cut roughly by eyeball (no jig is required), adjust the fence, and cut one half of the joint. Then, instead of inserting and setting up a different bit to cut the mating piece, with my design you just raise or lower the bit a fixed amount using a height gauge (Wixey or similar). The amount you raise or lower the bit is specific to each bit and doesn't change- it can be etched into the shank. After the height is reset and fence re-adjusted you cut the opposing side of the joint. The fence position is easy to set using my method, too, so something like the Lock Miter Master is not needed for these bits. The two bits I had custom ground work great so I expect the others will be as well. I don't know what kind of demand there might be for bits like this, but I'm getting ready to contact Whiteside to see if they are interested.

Mark W Pugh
05-08-2015, 7:00 AM
As you know, you have a better chance of getting perfect bevels using a precision-ground router bit instead of a table saw. However, unless you spline the joint, you can have a difficult time clamping the pieces together. Maybe someday there will be bevel bits on the market that solve this issue.

I came up with a new design for (inter)locking bevel (miter) bits that can be used to make multi-sided boxes. While other angles are possible I think a set of five bits that can be used to make 5, 6, 8 (22.5°), 10, and 12-sided boxes and similar applications might be desirable. As far as I know, the only locking bevel (miter) bits out there are for 90° and 45° joints. The popular 45° lock miter bit (for 90° joints) can be a pain to set up if you don't have something like Infinity's Lock Miter Master setup jig. A two-bit set is needed to make 45° lock miter joints.

My designs require only one bit (for each angle). Setup is simple and easy, too- you set bit height for the first cut roughly by eyeball (no jig is required), adjust the fence, and cut one half of the joint. Then, instead of inserting and setting up a different bit to cut the mating piece, with my design you just raise or lower the bit a fixed amount using a height gauge (Wixey or similar). The amount you raise or lower the bit is specific to each bit and doesn't change- it can be etched into the shank. After the height is reset and fence re-adjusted you cut the opposing side of the joint. The fence position is easy to set using my method, too, so something like the Lock Miter Master is not needed for these bits. The two bits I had custom ground work great so I expect the others will be as well. I don't know what kind of demand there might be for bits like this, but I'm getting ready to contact Whiteside to see if they are interested.

Are you talking about something like this http://sommerfeldtools.com/professional-equipment-and-tools/router-bits-and-sets/router-bit-sets/8-pc-anglemaking-set

Al Launier
05-08-2015, 7:04 AM
I've gone to Yonico as a source for router bits. They are good quality, sharp & cut wel, plus they are less pricey than others. Check them out. There are many sellers, this is only one of them (http://stuccu.com/s/Yonico+chamfer+Bits?tr=search_page)

Alan Schaffter
05-08-2015, 9:17 AM
Are you talking about something like this http://sommerfeldtools.com/professional-equipment-and-tools/router-bits-and-sets/router-bit-sets/8-pc-anglemaking-set

My design only requires one bit per joint, not two! A set of mine should be less expensive (cost half?).

Mark W Pugh
05-08-2015, 10:09 PM
My design only requires one bit per joint, not two! A set of mine should be less expensive (cost half?).

Looking forward to the product and the reviews.