PDA

View Full Version : Need help making adjustments for these double hung windows

Pat Barry
05-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Another window question that i need some guidance on. I have some older wooden double hung windows with springs that are difficult to operate. They stick, only open partway, or other ones slide so easy they won't stay up or down. Is there a way to adjust these? Also, I do need to re-glaze these windows with new putty. Is there an easy way to take them out?
Here are the pictures:

top left and top right
bottom left and bottom right

As you can see (I hope) there is a spring in the right side track, which I assume is the counter balance, and then just a slide plate / track on the left side.

I figured I better ask for advice before I break something trying to remove them.

Lee Schierer
05-04-2015, 3:15 PM
The tracks on the left are spring loaded and you can adjust the tension to some degree by tightening or loosening the philips head screws. You can spray silicone on the tracks and springs so the windows slide better, but if the springs are weak, the may slide too easily and not stay put. To take the window out you can push it to the side where the aluminum extrusion is and pull out on the side with the spring. You can then disconnect the spring to take the window completely out. I believe this are Anderson windows and you used to be able get replacement springs.

Pat Barry
05-05-2015, 7:37 AM
Thanks Lee. I appreciate your help on this. I'll do some work with them this weekend. Removing the windows will be the first thing so I can make an assessment of the condition of the windows and clean things up a bit.

Neal Clayton
06-09-2015, 7:06 PM
There's a website called historic homeworks, everything you might want to know (and somethings you don't!) about wooden windows are on there. No money, all the videos and tutorials and what not on there are free.

Purists will insist on using linseed oil based putty but honestly, the Dap caulk-style putty holds up fine as long as it's properly painted, and it doesn't have to sit in the shop to cure for a week before painting like the oil based putties do. You can tool it with a plastic scraper.

The paint job is the kicker. You need the putty line to stop 1/8 short of the wood on the other side of the glass, and paint that 1/8. Easiest way is to tape the glass and pull the tape while the paint is still wet. The putty needs to be sealed behind the paint or it will fail again much quicker than it did before. Leave the edges of the window bare, the wood needs to breathe. When you put the windows back, wax up the edges, that'll help them slide.

As for pulling them, you gotta get that metal track out. Those appear to be screwed in, which is a good thing, you should be able to save them. When they're nailed in you can't get them out without tearing up the metal.