PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Turned box ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Here's a small turned box made out of a piece of 30 year old cedar SWMBO's grandfather had in his woodpile. I turned it this morning. It was so dry, all I could get were small chips, but it turned well and smells great. It is full of a lot of minute cracks, as most cedar does when let dry on it's own, or so I've been told, and I stabilized some with CA glue. It's 4 1/2" wide X 4" tall, including the lid. It's all turned out of one piece so I could orient the grain somewhat. I tried to go as thin as I dared on this piece to make it light, but had to be careful of the cracks. It's a uniform 1/8" all the way down, with about 1/2", allowing for the foot. It looks a little bulky, but it's so dry, and thin on the inside, I think people will be amazed how light it is. It soaked up the Danish oil like crazy. It'll be ready for another coat before long. Thanks for looking and have fun turning. I'm always trying something new, and getting the hang of these hollowing tools!

Tom Sweeney
06-03-2003, 4:15 PM
You're going to wear out your lathe at this rate :D

Another nice turning - I'm surprised the cedar is so dark I guess it's from soaking up all that oil.

How do you stabilize cracked wood with CA Glue? Do you just wear gloves soak a rag & apply it while the piece is turning or do you brush it on?? Then can you still turn it after the glue sets? I have some real nice pieces of maple but there is some cracking, like on your piece, in some of it cause I let it just sit out & dry.

Thanks for posting - I always enjoy looking at the stuff everyone here turns out ( no pun intended :D )

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-03-2003, 5:21 PM
How do you stabilize cracked wood with CA Glue?

Tom,
Since I work the evening shift, it gives me all morning to work in the shop while SWMBO is at work. I try to do at least one small project a day and stretch larger projects over the week. I usually spend two to three hours a day doing something in the shop. I'm going to learn to do some flat work soon. My neighbor has a dovetail jig he says I can borrow, so I'd like to start making boxes.
I use the CA glue if I have some cracks needing stabilized or filled. I rub some fine dust into the crack, squirt on some accellerator, then apply the glue. It hardens immediately, so I make a nice bead. I than sand it down. It's worked good for me. I know a lot of other folks use it the same way, especially with pens.

John Miliunas
06-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Oh, I don't know. Looks to me like you've already got the hang of those hollowing tools! Nice piece, Ron! :cool:

Jason Roehl
06-04-2003, 7:45 AM
Looks good to me, Ron. Thanks for the explanation on using the CA glue, too. I still need to pick up some or order some. It is much easier to work in the shop before "real" work, too, I think. If I try to do anything after work, I'm often too tired to even think of starting (let's not even go into the safety aspects).