PDA

View Full Version : Emmert's Patternmaker's vise

Jeff Ramsey
05-03-2015, 4:10 PM
I've an Emmert's that needs some attention. What are suggestions for what to use for grease? It rotates stiffly; not smooth at all. I'm assuming properly applied grease will do the trick.

Erik Manchester
05-03-2015, 5:08 PM
General bearing grease on the screw is all I use on my Yost vise.

John Vernier
05-03-2015, 6:20 PM
You might find there is a lot of fossilized grease and crud on the moving parts and threads. If it were mine I would disassemble the thing as much as practical and clean the moving parts with mineral spirits or kerosene and a fine wire brush (hand-held, not power), and make sure to get all the grit out. Then, yes, general bearing grease sounds right.

Stefan Saal
05-03-2015, 8:00 PM
I would not lubricate it with a grease, but would use a fairly light oil on all surfaces that see action. (Grease is sticky and chips will stick to it.) The screw in an Emmert rides in a square tube. If you rotate the head one way or another, you can inspect this tube thru a long slot that runs its length. I seem to remember getting some carving chips down in mine one time such that it was affecting the action. And so these chips needed to be blown out (best done by blowing with the slot facing down). In any event, don't force the vise until you clear the obstruction. Emmerts crack easily when they are mistreated.

Jim Matthews
05-04-2015, 7:51 AM
I use nothing more than 3 in 1 on mine.

Every so often, tilt the works upright and clean the mainscrew.
With a fine brush and a little oil, you can get most everything off.

I don't like heavy grease in a shop full of sawdust.

Charles Taylor
05-04-2015, 8:57 AM
Paraffin wax.

Larry Fox
05-04-2015, 10:17 AM
You might find there is a lot of fossilized grease and crud on the moving parts and threads. If it were mine I would disassemble the thing as much as practical and clean the moving parts with mineral spirits or kerosene and a fine wire brush (hand-held, not power), and make sure to get all the grit out. Then, yes, general bearing grease sounds right.

Exactly this. I have owned two of these (still have 1) and this is what I have done and they have operated smoothly and flawlessly after. Fantastic vises and with an investment of a few hours of time you can easily bring them back from the dead. Taking it apart will also allow you to determine if anything is broken. The turtle-back I had, I discovered a broken part when I disassembled it and it is unlikely I would have discovered it otherwise. They are dead easy to take apart, grease and reassemble.

John Sanford
05-06-2015, 5:10 PM
Rather than grease, go with a dry lube. No problems with attracting crud.