PDA

View Full Version : Recording DVR Programs onto DVDs

Jack Hogoboom
08-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I have digital cable in my house. The set-top box is a Motorola product that includes a DVR capability. My DVR had drive is full of woodworking programs that I would like to tape. I received a DVD burner for my birthday and have tried, without success, to transfer programs stored on the DVR onto DVD.

It seems like a simple thing to do, but it continues to elude me. The set-top box has outputs that run directly to the TV. There don't appear to be a second set of outputs, although the box is very poorly labeled. The DVD burner has inputs running from the TV, but they are on a different video setting (i.e. the DVR is Video 7 and the DVD is Video 1). As a result, when I play a DVR program so I can see it on the TV, nothing is recording on the DVD. I don't seem to be able to record directly off the set-top box either.

Any help would be extremely gratefully received....

Thanks,

Jack

Ken Salisbury
08-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I have a similiar se up on my Direct TV.

Most DVD recorders have more than 1 input. You should have multiple outputs from you DVR (most do). If so, connect the other output from the DVR to the DVD. Then you can simply select the alternate input to the DVD to do what you want to do --- good luck.

A side note to folks who have a High Definition DVR: When writing a HD recorded session to a DVD you must change the DVR output video from 1081i to 480i resolution. DVD recorders will not handle the higher resolution - waay waay to much digital information for a standard DVD. (DAMHIKT)

I just added a HD DVR to my system and it is AWSOME.

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2005, 12:14 PM
This is all standard video (3-cable: video, audio L/R) right? If it's composite (6-cable), the DVR may be putting out an HD format the DVD-R can't handle.

Otherwise, I guess my first try would be to connect the DVR output to the DVD-R input and the DVD-R output to the TV. If that path works (i.e. DVR playback shows up on the TV), then by definition the DVD-R is seeing the playback signal: hit record and Bob's yer uncle.
One (remote?) possibility is that the DVR is putting out some kind of Digital Rights Management signal (i.e. "copy protection") that the DVD-R is programmed to honor...in which case you're pretty much screwed.:mad:

Bill Lewis
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
It might be helpful if you were to include more information (model#'s) for each piece of equipment. My initial thought is to set it up like you would with a VCR. Put the DVD burner between the DVR box and the TV. Don't try to output to the DVD burner from the TV.

Jack Hogoboom
08-09-2005, 3:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have a few things to try.

Ken, if I knew I had two outputs on the DVR, I'd be OK. It is the basic Motorola box everyone has, with lots of slots and ports that don't do anyhting yet. I swear I think there is only one output on the back.

The DVD-R and the TV are Sony. The TV and cable box will handle HDTV, but alas none of my woodworking shows are in HD format...yet. :)

Jack

Peter Stahl
08-09-2005, 8:31 PM
I have digital cable in my house. The set-top box is a Motorola product that includes a DVR capability. My DVR had drive is full of woodworking programs that I would like to tape. I received a DVD burner for my birthday and have tried, without success, to transfer programs stored on the DVR onto DVD.

It seems like a simple thing to do, but it continues to elude me. The set-top box has outputs that run directly to the TV. There don't appear to be a second set of outputs, although the box is very poorly labeled. The DVD burner has inputs running from the TV, but they are on a different video setting (i.e. the DVR is Video 7 and the DVD is Video 1). As a result, when I play a DVR program so I can see it on the TV, nothing is recording on the DVD. I don't seem to be able to record directly off the set-top box either.

Any help would be extremely gratefully received....

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

If you have the Motorola DCT6200/6208 you have several outputs on the back. I looked at the instrustions and there is a Vidio Out, a set of Y, Pb, Pr jacks for output which I use to my TV, and a S-Video output. What brand of DVD recorder did you get? I have the High Def 2 tuner Motorola Box (6208 I think, I'm at work) and have no problem transfering programs. You can only record them in real time or other words a 1 hour show will take 1 hour to transfer. When I record to my DVD from my PVR I use the Video Output jack. I use the Y,Pb,Pr jacks to my TV. You'll also have to run audio out from the PVR to the DVD too. After I bought my DVD recorder I stopped transferring things but would still record it on the PVR as it is easy for me to access and is a backup incase I forget or mess up the time on the DVD. Here are a couple sites wher you might find more answers to you questions.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/34.htm
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=100

Jack Hogoboom
08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Peter,

Thanks for the insights. I'm still a little stymied, though. On my unit, I have a DVI connection to my TV. Do you run your box outputs to both the TV and the DVDr? Is there anything on the screen of the TV while the program is recording?

Jack

Peter Stahl
08-10-2005, 3:04 PM
Peter,

Thanks for the insights. I'm still a little stymied, though. On my unit, I have a DVI connection to my TV. Do you run your box outputs to both the TV and the DVDr? Is there anything on the screen of the TV while the program is recording?

Jack

On my unit, I have a DVI connection to my TV
I don't have a DVI on my DVD recorder or my TV, bought them just before they came out. I think it's supposed to be the best connection for your Video. If you have a connector on your TV then you can use it from the PVR.

Do you run your box outputs to both the TV and the DVDr?
Yes, I run to both the DVD and TV. I run composite cables to the DVD recoerder and the Component(red,blue,green) cables to the TV. I also run component to the TV from my DVD recorder. My TV has several component inputs.

Is there anything on the screen of the TV while the program is recording?
I start the record mode on the DVD then start the PVR program that I recorded. One thing I forgot, on my DVD recorder (very important too!) I have to have the input set to whatever the feed from my PVR is. I can record from the cable directly or any of the other inputs. I have a Panasonic and it has 4 inputs I think. I believe the outputs on the PVR all feed at the same time.

I'm by no means a expert, hope this info helps. Which DVD recorder did you get?