PDA

View Full Version : Trotec400 vent question.

Neville Stewart
05-03-2015, 9:31 AM
I have a 4" hose connected to my other laser and intend to put the new 400 adjacent to it, is it reasonable to expect I could branch off the 4" with a 2" for the Trotec? I've got a 3/4 hp DC motor pulling the vacuum.

Mark Sipes
05-03-2015, 9:51 AM
A 2" connection is not adequate to pull the required CFM through a system set up for a 4" that is already running a 4" both systems will suffer. Do you plan on running both lasers at the same time. Well of course. You need to set up 2 vent systems or increase the existing 3/4hp to a dual feed with more CFM.

Neville Stewart
05-03-2015, 10:33 AM
I can gate them but I thought the Trotec came with a 2". I will use the both machines presumably at times, didn't think of just reducing the pipe at the machine and staying with 4" all the way. So I'll get a sufficient motor then. Thanks.

Dan Hintz
05-03-2015, 11:28 AM
I have a 4" hose connected to my other laser and intend to put the new 400 adjacent to it, is it reasonable to expect I could branch off the 4" with a 2" for the Trotec? I've got a 3/4 hp DC motor pulling the vacuum.

The 2" outlet is strictly for vacuum, as in "hold things to the table"... you want high SP, not necessarily high CFM. The 400 should have two 4" outlets for air over the substrate. You will not have luck using a standard DC for vacuum (high SP) if you are also using it simultaneously for smoke removal (high CFM) on another machine.

Neville Stewart
05-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Ok, vacuum hold down, I'm quite familiar with, I've got some Brighthouse motors I'll repurpose if I need to hold something down.Thought the vent was 2". I'm good then. Thx guys.

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2015, 1:20 PM
Ok, vacuum hold down, I'm quite familiar with, I've got some Brighthouse motors I'll repurpose if I need to hold something down.Thought the vent was 2". I'm good then. Thx guys.

Neville, you can't use those motors for that. It's not a true vacuum table, it's more a downdraft table. You can "Y" off the 4" with a 2" fitting, having the same motor doing the exhaust and pulling air through the table, but you will need more than what you have now.

Neville Stewart
05-03-2015, 1:37 PM
I see, so I'm wondering what type of cutting might require downdraft or hold down assistance? PS Scott thanks very much for the Jobcontrol videos. I'll have to get my hand on it soon so I can get familiar with it.

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2015, 1:51 PM
Well, in general you want to use it with any cutting table you have installed. It'll help pull the smoke out from under the grid.

You're welcome for the video clips. If I can ever get some free time again, I'd got loads more to go through. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can start getting some shorter clips up, showing different features.

Keith Winter
05-06-2015, 10:13 PM
No way a 3/4 hp motor will pull enough air to do both lasers, plus 2" is too small as others said. Minimum 1.5hp, I have a 2hp harbor freight, I suspect it's not a true 2 hp more like 1 1/2. Fine for engraving but I'll be upgrading it soon (checkout my other thread similar situation as you) because it doesn't pull well enough when cutting. If I did it all over again I'd go a true 2 hp 3 phase blower, likely will go that route very soon.