PDA

View Full Version : More about adhesives

David Ragan
05-03-2015, 9:28 AM
I posted about JB Weld, and the final idea was not to rely on it alone for adhesion.

Instead, drill the hole in the DC steel drum, insert the eye bolt, and use the JB Weld to seal between the washer/drum/washer interface.

The thing is that the DC drum will not tolerate even the slightest leak.

So, this AM, instead of doing all that, I just took a pair of ViceGrips and cranked them down on the lower lip of the drum (attached my strap here) and upended the drum, dust came out into the bag. Perfect.

If I were to drill a hole in the drum, and place an eye bolt, seems like maybe something that would retain some flexibility/plasticity and adhesion might be better-on account of the stresses placed on the bolt in lifting the drum.

Can anyone say about any of the following do/don't use with respect to ability to remain flexible along with adhesion?

As you can tell, I come a long way since my inability to post pictures a few months ago:D

Phil Thien
05-03-2015, 9:50 AM
Clear silicone.

Shawn Pixley
05-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Simpler still: a pair of compressible rubber washers under fender washers below the eyebolt / nut.

Jim Koepke
05-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Have you seen any of the ads for Sugru?

https://sugru.com/about

I have not tried this, but it looks like it might be the answer to many needs.

jtk

David Ragan
05-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Have you seen any of the ads for Sugru?

https://sugru.com/about

I have not tried this, but it looks like it might be the answer to many needs.

jtk

That looks to be great stuff. Amazon has it, 8 small tubes for $20. I will get some.

Check out the Workshop Forum for the solution to this particular problem-under DC clean out.

that is the great thing about WW as a hobby, so many ways to do things better.

Phil Thien
05-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Simpler still: a pair of compressible rubber washers under sender washers below the eyebolt / nut.

Yes, this.

Jim Matthews
05-04-2015, 7:43 AM
Simpler still: a pair of compressible rubber washers under fender washers below the eyebolt / nut.

+1 on Neoprene.

Elastomers of lower density withstand cycles and are good enough
for marine applications. http://www.thmarine.com/products/Aeration-and-Plumbing/Thru-Hull-Fittings/Gaskets-for-Thru-Hulls/Thru-Hull-Washer-Gaskets

ken masoumi
05-04-2015, 8:52 AM
I have repaired my 100 Gal aquarium with clear Silicone adhesive, nothing else can handle that much weight ,( expansion/contraction that an aquarium goes through daily, and still stay completely flexible for years ) like adhesive Silicone.
That's what I would recommend for your application.

Bert Kemp
05-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Wow while were on the subject of adhesives , I have a women that wants me to engrave a ceramic tile and she wants to be able to stand it up on edge on the ground as a marker. I was thinking bonding some metal tent pegs to the back of the tile. Was wondering what glue might work to hold the pegs on or it anyone has a better way to accomplish this.

Steve Peterson
05-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Wow while were on the subject of adhesives , I have a women that wants me to engrave a ceramic tile and she wants to be able to stand it up on edge on the ground as a marker. I was thinking bonding some metal tent pegs to the back of the tile. Was wondering what glue might work to hold the pegs on or it anyone has a better way to accomplish this.

thistothat.com suggests metal epoxy, JB weld, or epoxy putty as good options with super glue as an alternative. I was surprised that silicone was not suggested.

Steve

Bert Kemp
05-04-2015, 1:17 PM
Thanx Steve I'll check those out.

thistothat.com suggests metal epoxy, JB weld, or epoxy putty as good options with super glue as an alternative. I was surprised that silicone was not suggested.

Steve

Curt Harms
05-05-2015, 9:05 AM
I was thinking System3 T88 epoxy. You don't need a great deal of strength so might be overkill. Simpler and cheaper might be PL construction adhesive. I've grown kinda fond of that stuff. The biggest downside I've found is that it comes in a caulking gun tube so isn't easy to reseal.